Martin Scorsese, super genius

Tools    

And here we go again...
I am such a fool. Talking about animation here is like talking about science to the inquisition, But yet, I still do it. I guess I like to see the circus catching fire.

But I am still appalled by the strong prejudice some people have against animation (well, animation that is not Hollywood make). It's really sad to see people shutting themselves off to this world because of prejudice: Morimoto, Hosoda, Miyazaki, Shinkai, Kon, Keiichi Hara, Yuasa, Oshii among many others are all essential animation filmmakers who produced many great pieces in this century.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't believe Scorsese's later period will be seen as significantly weaker than other parts of his career by people in the future. Hist post-2000 filmography consists of very respectable pieces of work. He still creates great cinema.

Gangs of New York - May be a bit too ambitious in the end, but it never fails completely. Still cinema of the highest order, in my opinion
I also liked it though I wouldn't say it's "cinema of the highest order". It's a very good movie.

The Aviator - Gorgeous and intelligent film that knows exactly how to elegantly tell its interesting bio story. One of the best of its decade.
Agreed on that. The Aviator has a great and interesting character as well.

The Departed - In my opinion not one of Scorsese's best, but the film is still full of energy and suspense. Great filmmaking.
Agreed on that to.

Shutter Island - Well directed psychological horror. Great ride and remarkably rewatchable, despite the "twist ending" (and the clever potential twist-twist).
I loved this one in particular. It's because psychological thrillers are type of stuff that I really like.

Hugo - Lovely and warm family film that also showcases how well Scorsese masters the art of (digital) cinema.
I found this one to be pretty boring. I don't think Scorsese knows how to accurately depict the mind of a child.

The Wolf of Wall Street - One of the very best films of the current decade so far and instantly iconic.
Haven't watched this one (yet).

His most recent films may not be as good as Goodfellas, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull
I found Raging Bull to be disappointing (the character was a bit to over the top for my taste). Taxi Driver is really great and I even included it in my top 50 films list while Goodfellas is really perfectly made but I disliked the characters.

but they certainly don't demonstrate a clear decline in quality compared to his overall filmography, in my opinion, and I think they'll be referred to largely favorably (and certainly without any kind of disdain) in the future.
I think that's a fair assessment and I agree with you. His movies are maintaining a constant level of quality, for me even more because I didn't care that much for some of his most well regarded old movies. Scorsese is indeed a master storyteller: the Hollywood's Kurosawa. Comparing him to Miyazaki like I did before is problematic because they work in different artistic mediums.

It's easily the weakest in that set and one of Scorsese's worst. A solid DiCaprio performance aside, it's one of the more drab and lackluster films he made, whichever way you look at it
It's actually my second favorite film of his post-2000 work. Which particular things don't you like about it?

Happy Seventy-Fourth Birthday to Mr. Marty Scorsese!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Scorsese's latest feature, Silence, will get a limited NY/LA release Christmas week to qualify for the Oscars and will get wider distribution in January and February of 2017. Almost here!!! Still no trailer or even an official poster, yet, but those should be along soon.

The official U.S. one sheet for Silence...

Can't say the poster does much for me, but I don't really care that much. The trailer is supposed to drop this Saturday.

Read the book a couple of years ago specifically in anticipation of Scorsese finally making this happen, so yeah, pretty excited for this one.
I read the novel closer to twenty years ago, and for the same reason. No *****.

This might just do nobody any good.
I've seen the 1971 movie. It's pretty good but, of course, that trailer alone blows it out of the water.

The cinematographer is Rodrigo Prieto. This is second feature collaboration with Scorsese, having first teamed for The Wolf of Wall Street, then he shot the pilot for the HBO series "Vinyl", and he is also lensing his next project, The Irishman. He has one Oscar nomination to date, for Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain, and some of his other work includes another of Ang Lee's movies (Lust, Caution), Pedro Almodóvar's Broken Embraces, Affleck's Argo, Alejandro G. Iñárritu's Babel, Biutiful, Amores Perros, and 21 Grams, Spike Lee's 25th Hour, Julie Taymor's Frida, Tommy Lee Jones' The Homesman, and the about-to-be released Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.

Looks amazing as expected. Jealous of you NY and LA folks. Grabbed one of those screen shots for my profile banner.