Movie Tab II

Tools    

Wordplay (d. Patrick Creadon - 2006)

I defy you to find a more suspenseful film about crossword puzzles.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Sleezy
The Majestic (Darabont, 2001)

Finally got around to watching this one after scoring it from the bargain bin. It hit me hard for more than a few reasons, including: (1) there just aren't enough wholesome films of this type out there these days; (2) Jim Carrey continues to impress me with a genuine talent to act, and to make me care; and (3) the social commentary the film provided about free speech and sacrifice never seemed contrived or out of place. Additionally, I was treated to some wonderfully sincere, charming performances by Martin Landau, Laurie Holden, and Gerry Black.
I like this film too Sleezy. It doesnt have the impact of Green Mile and Shawshank but it certainly does have the shmaltz. And i love shmaltz. And i agree on your review of Martin Landau, i love that man and he plays the role of the father perfectly in this. Breaks ya heart!
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Crikey Jrs, Cars and The Lake House both looked a bit poo.
The Lakehouse is poo. Im no time travel expert (Well I have built my own but weve all tinkered havnt we?) but there is a massive floor in the story. The other thing is that Sandra Bullock really needs to learn how to smile. They more or less attempt to make her character likeable by just using the element of her being an inexperienced doctor, who is a woman, who gets upset when her patients die - as a likeable quality. Oh and she wiggles her stephoscope alot.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Il Vangelo secondo Matteo / The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964 - Pier Paolo Pasolini)

I would have to agree, yes, it is a masterpiece. I did expect stronger allusions to Christ's alleged homosexuality though.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

history *is* moralizing
The Dark, 2005 US/Mannin
1) the landscapes make one feel like traveling to the Isle of Man, no doubt, wow
2) if the movie was filmed in the Isle of Man, and is supposed to be set in Wales, why not just take Mannin/Isle of Man into the scenario??, since they are Celtic people too, with the same kinda traditions and legends and mythology (which by the way is just Indo-European in its origins, so the idea of Annwn/Realm of the Dead is not very original, not only in movies, but in mythology as a whole, being the same like the Greek limbo/érebos and the Germanic or Indian (etc!) traditions)
3) i liked the fact that when the American mother tells her daughter they're gonna visit her father in "England", Sarah (the daughter) corrects her and precises: Wales! a bit of differentialism and culture is always good to bring to California...
4) sheep can be scary, really, that was a discovery...
5) the atmosphere is dark throughout the movie and i liked that too
6) i prefered the girls' performance than Bello's, too hysterical starting already at the beginning of the movie, too early for my taste
7) do watch the alternative ending in the dvd extras, it's much better, darker and touching

overall, lacks originality of scenario, but has a few ideas and spectacular settings that make it worth a watch.

In the Beginning...
Munich (Spielberg, 2003)

Five popcorn buckets. Easy. A really haunting story not just about the Munich massacre, and the sociopolitical events surrounding it - but also about the nature of terrorism and its relation to any given side's pursuit of "peace" in the name of "righteousness". Some REALLY nice imagery and symbolism here, like the uncontrollable nature of the team's strategic bombs (the desire to control violence is erroneous because violence itself is chaotic and uncontrollable). Excellent performances by Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, and especially Goeffrey Rush for understanding his role and bringing it to life, rather than stealing the show like a lesser actor might have done.

June
6.01 Control (2004) // Infection (2004) // Dead Presidents (1995)
6.02 Fright Night (1985) // Rikers High (2005)
6.03 The Sisters (2004)
6.05 Date Movie (2006) // Audition (1999)
6.06 Empire Records (1995) // X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) // The Omen (2006)
6.07 Like Mike 2: Streetball (2006)
6.09 Glory Road (2006)
6.11 Elf (2003)
6.14 The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (1985)
6.17 Gattaca (1997)
6.18 Varsity Blues (1999) // Left Behind 2: Tribulation Force (2002)
6.19 The Lake House (2006)
6.20 Night Watch (2004)
6.21 The Jerk (1979)
6.23 Firewall (2006) // The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
6.24 The Boondock Saints (1999) // Room 6 (2006)
6.27 Under Suspicion (2000) //
6.28 The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
6.29 The Method (1997)
6.30 Oldboy (2003) // Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)

history *is* moralizing
*****, Alibi was complete, so i had to see American Dreamz, 2006, which was kinda funny though, liked the president more than the actual one... a film to watch and have some smiles (more than laughs), and then forget about it, it won't leave sequels...

Shopgirl -- I thought it was just terrific. Very glad I rented it.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
In Her Shoes - faithful adaptation of a good book. It's a light-hearted but touching story about sisterhood.

Identity - smarter-than-average thriller with some nice twists. Very well-acted and I'm becoming a fan of director Jim Mangold. He works smart and really loves what he's doing, and it makes for a nice product.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964 - Stanley Kubrick)

I hadn't seen this one since I was a kid. It is such a fantastic film... Such funny lines... And Sellers is of course amazing...

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i watched Sometimes in April on Saturday afternoon... has anyone else seen this? and what were your thoughts on it? (can someone direct me to a Mofo review?)

moon zero two...had to write a review on this one..cute overlooked film..made in 69 and takes place in 2021....interesting how they portray the 21st century...acting and action scenes are good and some of the jokes are clever..worth a look

Welcome to the human race...
Brazil - 9/10

Not as good as I used to think it was but it's still pretty good.

The Blues Brothers - 10/10

Still good.

Star Wars - 9/10

Apart from the sound editing, excellent.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 5/10

It's official. I don't like it anymore.

Army of Darkness - 7/10

I hate the S-Mart ending that came with the DVD. I want the real ending. (movie + original ending = 8/10 )

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by jrs
What happened?
I would say my tastes have shifted and I'm no longer into Indiana Jones movies.

It's a pity because I've seen Raiders countless times ever since I was old enough to watch movies. It's very sad that I just don't like it any more.