Penelope Cruz

Tools    

Just saw, or rather suffered through, Woman on Top. Is it me, or does this woman ruin every movie she's in? She can't act and her voice annoys me. She sounds like a retarded chipmunk when she talks. I just want to know if its just me.

Now With Moveable Parts
Might have just been the movie. I liked her in Blow and Open Your Eyes (the real version of Vanilla Sky) but, I do happen to think she's an alien. I mean...look at her. She's a bug.

Poor penelope. I don't have anything against her. I love Nicole Kidman and she caused Nicole pain therefore I don't like her. That was a joke.

I saw that movie with her and Matt Damon... "Fresh Horses"...? I think it was called. She did a respectable job in that but I haven't seen any of her other films.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Might have just ben the movie. I liked her in Blow and Open Your Eyes (the real version of Vanilla Sky) but, I do happen to think she's an alien. I mean...look at her. She's a bug.
Open Your Eyes, the real version of Vanilla Sky? Please. Vanilla Sky is a masterpiece of warmth and humanism that addresses nothing less than, at the risk of sounding cliche, the meaning of being alive. Open Your Eyes can't even begin to compare.

I like Penelope. She's okay, she just has a bad agent. Blow was one of the dumbest movies I saw last year (were it not for Ray Liotta's underrated, poetic performance as Jung's father, it would have been one of the worst), and she got on my nerves. But she was good in All the Pretty Horses, and stunning in Vanilla Sky.

Now With Moveable Parts
Excuse me? How frustrating is this? So I guess Joan Jett's song isn't the "real" one...and Britney Spears cover of I love Rock & Roll is just as good, eh?

Open Your Eyes is the original and Vanilla Sky is the copy.
Okay?

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
I think steve was being sarcastic there sadie.

I hope steve was being sarcastic.

As far as Cruz goes she's not exactly a good actress. I hated blow and Cruz went down with it.

IMO open your eyes is best film she's been in.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Fez Wizardo
I think steve was being sarcastic there sadie.

I hope steve was being sarcastic.

As far as Cruz goes she's not exactly a good actress. I hated blow and Cruz went down with it.

IMO open your eyes is best film she's been in.
No, actually...I don't think he was. If he was, then that's just plain rude, because not everybody knows Vanilla Sky was based on a foreign film. I thought she did a fine job in Blow. I don't know if I could have played a pregnant junkie quite so well...she looked disgusting.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Excuse me? How frustrating is this? So I guess Joan Jett's song isn't the "real" one...and Britney Spears cover of I love Rock & Roll is just as good, eh?

Open Your Eyes is the original abd Vanilla Sky is the copy.
Okay?
No, Open Your Eyes is the original and Vanilla Sky is the cover. Just like Fiona Apple's cover of All Across the Universe is miles and miles better than the original. Open Your Eyes is the foundation of the building, Vanilla Sky is the skyscraper built on the foundation.

Oh!! That's what I was forgetting!! Penelope is luminous in All About My Mother!

And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm sure there's a lot of people who aren't aware that movies are even being made in other countries. Why did you hope I was being sarcastic?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Steve

And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm sure there's a lot of people who aren't aware that movies are even being made in other countries. Why did you hope I was being sarcastic?
See Fezzie?
I didn't hope, Fezzie did. I know why, though.

Anyhoo, Steve...that's your opinion. Vanilla Sky explained everything at the end, and Open Your Eyes didn't need to. Of the two...I know which one I think is better.

Exactly right Sades. Vanilla Sky treated the audience like idiots by explaining everything at the end. Cameron Crowe should stick to the happy stuff, anything remotely approaching dark material is out of his league. He's William Miller for God's sake - he's the most innocent adult alive.

The only thing positive about Vanilla Sky was Penelope Cruz's performance and the chemistry with Tom Cruise. I think they make a lovely couple. It's time Mr. Cruise picked up someone his own size.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Exactly right Sades. Vanilla Sky treated the audience like idiots by explaining everything at the end. Cameron Crowe should stick to the happy stuff, anything remotely approaching dark material is out of his league. He's William Miller for God's sake - he's the most innocent adult alive.

*sigh* Ahhh...thank you, Big Val. I feel like I've been arguing all day. It's nice to know you agree. Always a pleasure to have you around. (and not just because you agree with me, although...that helps. )

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
What is explained at the end of Vanilla Sky counters your argument.

It's not just the plot being explained, it encompasses so much more than that. It addresses the way most consumers choose to live - caring about what they own more than anything. When Tom Cruise learns that it's the little things that make him most happy, I want to cry, because he has lived his entire life basing his feelings on everything he owns, and he finally realizes that it's an album cover, or a movie he once saw that made him happiest - small, sustained moments of such joy and beauty that he's overwhelmed by how lovely it is to be alive. It isn't his huge apartment, or his car - it's seeing his friends happy, it's sharing love with someone, it's kissing the mole on his lover's breasts.

The movie is a cautionary tale against being owned - I think it does anything but treat its audience like idiots, because it does nothing less than make them examine their own lives, how they feel about being alive. Taking it for what it is on the surface is unfair and sidesteps all of the feelings that the movie has been so careful and concerned with evoking.

Now With Moveable Parts
Steve...Steve...I hear ya man. I do. Although you're right, the movie is everything you say it was...Open Your Eyes was that, also. I was just making the point that the foreign movie was first, and that Penelope did a way better job in that version, rather than Vanilla Sky.
You're the one who made a tangent out of it and by that standard, so did Vanilla Sky. I'm quick, I saw the foreign one, and thought all the same thoughts you did about Vanilla Sky, I just liked that the director of Open Your Eyes, didn't have to hold my hand through it.

That isn't what I got out of Open Your Eyes. That movie seemed more concerned with its plot than Vanilla Sky did. I will agree though, that Penelope was good. There's a lot of people who don't like her, why is that? Everyone just says "she looks like a bug and she can't speak English." Bah humbug, I say.

Now With Moveable Parts
it's true Steve...her porportions are out of whack. Those eyes...that stick-neck...she's from Bugsville.

I couldn't agree more...I never understood all the fuss over this actress...she's not even that attractive and I think her acting ability is purely a matter of personal taste. I think her Oscar win for VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA was a joke and one of the top five missteps by the Academy since they have been giving out Oscars.

Ghost In The Machine
She's hot as far as I'm concerned. Her mistake was in getting involved in the American film industry. I like her best in Volver - a great film by the way.

She had some great roles.

All About My Mother, Vanilla Sky, Open Your Eyes...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
She had some great roles.

All About My Mother, Vanilla Sky, Open Your Eyes...
Agree