Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have no problem with endless sequels as long as there's quality. But once there's a stinker like this, game over.
I haven't even bothered to watch it because of the bad wrap, I mean people hated Die Hard 4 but I didn't mind it and they kept the formula, decent actors, decent villain... decent movie.

Well that was awkward...

I wonder if I would give it a similar rating... No doubt about it, this is a well made film, just judging from all the positive feedback thus far. But sometimes, a movie just doesn't appeal to some people, with no particular fault of the movie itself.

I think I'd be willing to give it a watch, but I have plenty of other films from 2013 that I really want to watch, so we'll see how it works out...
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Let the night air cool you off
I think you should give it a shot, Donuts. I can't honestly say I have a grasp on your tastes yet, but even if it's something you don't love I think there will be enough in the movie to make it worth your while.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

The Ascent (1977)

There has perhaps been no war film more harrowing, more dismal, and more shattering than this. It is dispirited, despondent, and provides its viewers nothing other than the dastardly reality of the Great Patriotic War. An utterly unforgiving viewing, but one of necessity as there are few films that hold as much force as this. It is through its sweeping black and white photography where Shepitko illuminates the boundless, infinite, and stark landscape of rural Russia, saturated in limitless white, in the midst of treacherous, perilous conditions, at the core of humanity's most deadliest conflict. It is a visual masterwork, adopting a very stifle, unsettling approach, spawning images that are both painfully poignant and dismaying, but also very real and stern. Through all of its optical beauty, it is the music, furnishing a sense of underlying creepiness and a gripping screen presence (Plotnikov, in particular, being absolutely remarkable) that makes this not only one of the most dexterous of war films, or even one of the leading, preeminent Soviet works, but simply and unequivocally one of the best films I have ever seen. A haunting masterwork that manages to steer away from any propagandic overtones (uncommon in Soviet films that deal with these type of subjects), and provide nothing but a bleak and intrepid depiction of the seemingly inevitable demise of those struggling to survive in rural Russia. Perhaps a 10, which I seldom give away on first viewings. Might stick with a 9.5 and see how its eventual rewatch will hold up.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Glorious! Have you seen Come and See?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Wolf of Wall Street

Thanks to Lucas and Cricket for providing me with their services, much obliged.

Yeah, this movie is freakin' fantastic. Writing a full-on review of this would be a real task, so instead, I'll just put in some of my thoughts that might not have been mentioned by others on here (or I just haven't read about them yet).

A round of applause to the brilliant directorial mind of Scorsese, and the entire cast for their tremendous work. I honestly didn't see one bad performance throughout.

Holy sh*t that's a lot of drugs and sex! Damn. Fine, I guess pretty much everyone pointed that out. But wow.

There are some pretty dark undertones scattered across this movie. They're gone as quickly as they come, but they've happened, and it starts to hit home. Maybe this was Scorcese's way of showing that bad or ugly news tends to get swept under the rug when one starts making serious money and living the life of luxury? I don't know. But it was a great way of adding dimensions to this film.

Favourite part? Maybe the 2nd plane scene, but this could easily change with every viewing.

9/10

Why not a 10? I can now officially join the band that encourages everyone else to go see this movie. 3 hours is nothing for this; I watched this at midnight on my computer, didn't yawn once. Just imagine going to a packed theatre.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Glad you loved the movie Donuts. Scorsese is a boss,Leo is a boss, the movie is boss. I couldn't possibly choose a favorite scene but the quaaludes scene killed me(you know what scene I'm talking about).

Released over 30 years ago, and De Palma's is already more popular. Something must have gone wrong there for your beloved JGL.

I'll watch Bande à part soon though. Will I like it?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Released over 30 years ago, and De Palma's is already more popular. Something must have gone wrong there for your beloved JGL.

I'll watch Bande à part soon though. Will I like it?
Something did go wrong, he got too radical for most people to handle/care for. Bande à Part is/was one of Tarantino's favorite films.

Bande à Part is/was one of Tarantino's favorite films.
I know, he even named his company after that movie. Godard was like a God to Tarantino and his influence can clearly be seen (I noticed this especially after seeing Vivre sa Vie), but he's not his biggest fan anymore (probably because he's better).

Here's an interview where he says he has outgrown him

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Band of Outsiders is one of Godard's lighter films, so you might like it. I probably think it's his second best (of the 20 I've seen), but I'll admit that's not saying much.

I am Sam

Great movie. Sean Penn does an excellent job.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Here's an interview where he says he has outgrown him
That's obviously in reference to 60s Godard. Beyond that it's commonly thought that Godard is too inscrutable to deal with, even academics like Thompson and Bordwell admit that they'd never even attempt to touch films like King Lear since they couldn't pretend to be authorities on it whatsoever. There's a large lack of critical analysis of anything beyond his 60s work. If people are able to say they've outgrown 60s Godard, it's because we've caught up to him, but I don't think anyone would pretend to have caught up with him much past that.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Glorious! Have you seen Come and See?
Yep. A powerful, gut-wrenching film, for sure, but not in the same league as The Ascent. But I'd say this, Fires on the Plain, and Klimov's film are perhaps the most bleak and harrowing war films I have ever seen.

The Doom Generation 6.5/10

Weird in a way that doesn't usually work for me but I ended up liking it. At first, I thought the characters were uninteresting but they grew on me, and that was a big key. It wasn't boring, in fact it flew by, and there were some cool things happening. I wasn't quite sure the meaning of some things, such as a recurring number, and the fact that the female character kept running into people who seemingly knew her. It may be a movie that requires another watch. I would like to try some more of the directors work, notably Mysterious Skin. He has an interesting point of view. Not my type of movie but it was good.

The Doom Generation 6.5/10

Weird in a way that doesn't usually work for me but I ended up liking it. At first, I thought the characters were uninteresting but they grew on me, and that was a big key. It wasn't boring, in fact it flew by, and there were some cool things happening. I wasn't quite sure the meaning of some things, such as a recurring number, and the fact that the female character kept running into people who seemingly knew her. It may be a movie that requires another watch. I would like to try some more of the directors work, notably Mysterious Skin. He has an interesting point of view. Not my type of movie but it was good.
I've watched The Doom Generation many times and I'm not sure what to tell you in terms of its meaning. Make your own, I say. Mysterious Skin is good, but much more serious in tone. I really liked Smiley Face, which follows a day in the life of Anna Faris stoned on marijuana. There are still others of his that I need to see.