Jeff Costello's film diary

→ in
Tools    

The Wolf Man(1941) - George Waggner

There's just something about Lon Chaney JR's screen presence that makes me want to see more of his work. Either way, an amazing film!

Rating:
-
I've never really liked LCJ too much, but he plays a fun sympathetic villain in Spider Baby. If you haven't seen Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (with Chaney as The Wolf Man), get on that sh*t.

I figured you'd enjoy this one since you liked supernaturals like Cat People and I Walked With a Zombie. And in my opinion The Wolf Man eclipses both in terms of ambient and performances, while being very well paced and spooky at the same time.
I've seen all three and I Walked With a Zombie is my favorite. If you guys haven't seen it, don't let the title throw you, it's well done and not what you probably think it is.

Il Sorpasso (1962) - Dino Risi

Funny, heart-breaking and thought-provoking Italian road trip comedy/drama with a strong but subtly presented social commentary on transience of life, consumerism and alienation. New personal favourite of mine !

Rating:
+

Il Sorpasso (1962) - Dino Risi

Funny, heart-breaking and thought-provoking Italian road trip comedy/drama with a strong but subtly presented social commentary on transience of life, consumerism and alienation. New personal favourite of mine !

Rating:
+
I put that on my watchlist after seeing your post in the other thread. I've heard of it, but I haven't heard much of it.

I put that on my watchlist after seeing your post in the other thread. I've heard of it, but I haven't heard much of it.
Awesome! I hope you'll enjoy it.

The Body Snatcher (1945) - Robert Wise

First of all, thank you re93animator for the recommendation. I've really found myself enjoying this old school low budget 40's horror flicks, especially the ones of Val Newton's production. The Body Snatcher was of course no exception. I think the final carriage scene will stay engraved in my memory for quite a while. I'll also check out Bedlam, at some point as well.

Rating:
+

The Body Snatcher (1945) - Robert Wise

First of all, thank you re93animator for the recommendation. I've really found myself enjoying this old school low budget 40's horror flicks, especially the ones of Val Newton's production. The Body Snatcher was of course no exception. I think the final carriage scene will stay engraved in my memory for quite a while. I'll also check out Bedlam, at some point as well.

Rating:
+

Awesome! Early horror is what sparked my initial passion for el cine. Hope there are more to come.

The Shanghai Gesture (1941) - Josef Von Sternberg

Campy and stylish noir starring Gene Tierney, Vic Mature and Walter Huston. Definitely has a certain allure to it, but overall quite underwhelming.

Rating:
-

Maratonci Trče Počasni Krug aka The Marathon Family (1982) - Slobodan Šijan

Truly hilarious black comedy and one of the classics of Yugoslav cinematography.

Rating :
+

I Wake Up Screaming (1941) - H. Bruce Humberstone

A solid "who done it" noir, which benefits greatly from a terrific performance by Laird Cregar.

Rating:

Truly hilarious black comedy and one of the classics of Yugoslav cinematography.

Rating :
+
Added to the list. Thanks!

I Wake Up Screaming (1941) - H. Bruce Humberstone

A solid "who done it" noir, which benefits greatly from a terrific performance by Laird Cregar.

Rating:
Laird Cregar is overlooked. He's great in Hangover Square and The Lodger too. I think he could've been a thriller/horror luminary had he lived longer.

Added to the list. Thanks!
Awesome ! It's a great film, but I'd say its a little bit sensitive to translation. I was fortunate enough to watch it without subtitles.

Laird Cregar is overlooked. He's great in Hangover Square and The Lodger too. I think he could've been a thriller/horror luminary had he lived longer.
Yes, I agree. His performance was definitely the highlight of the film. I've already seen him in Heaven Can Wait and This Gun For Hire, but this was the first time I really noticed him. Will make sure to check out one of your recommendations !

Nazarin (1959) - Luis Bunuel

Father Nazario is a Roman - Catholic priest, who strives to live a pure and honest life compatible to Christian principles and learnings of the Christ. Because of his kindness and charity, he's constantly objected to hostility and humiliation from the primitive residents of his village. After being forced to leave the village, he continues his mission of helping others and living off of charity with his followers ; a local prostitute and her suicidal sister. But even determined Nazario will fall victim to judgmental society and start to question his faith and emptiness of his own existence in one of the most enigmatic and thought-provoking final shots ever.

In my opinion this might be the most personal and touching Bunuel's work. It features common themes in his films like; cynicism towards religion and authority, sexual repression, exploration of poverty and inability to make a change, alongside leitmotives like bugs, animals, freaks and dreams. Also worthwile mentioning that Francisco Rabal's performance is the best I've seen in any Bunuel film. Definitely a masterpiece in my book !

Rating :

Le Silence De La Mer (1949) - Jean -Pierre Melville

Impressive debut by a great director.

Rating :
-

Rating :
+
i remember only 2 things from yugoslav filmmaking:
- Surda Surdilovic in Vruc Vetar series and that was amazing
- a film from before the conflict (1989 i guess) that was clearly predicting the long suppressed conflicts between Serbs, Croatians and other shyte (dont wanna go into it). It was a great film and i dont remember the title and story. I just know it was great. There was a scene of this bearded man slitting throat to a child

Ko To Tamo Peva aka Who's Singing Over There ? (1980) - Slobodan Šijan

Cult absurdist comedy which follows an unforgetable bus trip from Serbian provincy to Beograd, just one day before German army occupied Yugoslavia in WW2.

Fabolous script, great directing and brilliant humour ! Alongside "The Marathon Family" and "Balkan Spy", this film is considered to be a part of holy trinity of Yugoslav cinema. Definitely worth checking out !

Rating :

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - John Huston

Grandiose noir in every imaginable aspect.

Rating :
+

The Lady From Shanghai (1947) - Orson Welles

Effective ending prevents this otherwise mediocre noir from receiving even lover rating. What a complete and utter mess this was...

Rating :
-