Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

Yeah, but you hadn't heard of Kate Bush until about 2 years ago, either.
I'm very proud of that. I'd like to sue this place for damaging my life by introducing me to Kate Bush.

I was being pretentious? I picked a movie I loved from my childhood that I wanted people to see. It's not that unheard of, it's kind of a classic B-Movie. How the hell was I being pretentious?

I wouldn't say this was rare or unheard of. There's also a couple of sequels, aren't there?
Yeah, there is a sequel called Dr. Phibes Strikes Again, which is good too.

Unregistered User
Took a break from horror over the weekend there but back in tonight again with Nightstalker. Shame Possession isnt doing as well as I thought it would.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I was being pretentious? I picked a movie I loved from my childhood that I wanted people to see. It's not that unheard of, it's kind of a classic B-Movie. How the hell was I being pretentious?
You weren't. I sort of wonder if most people understand what the word pretentious even means.

I saw it as a child too and it was on TV just the other night. It's hardly obscure.

Oh! Don't take everything I say so seriously all the time.

I just thought it seemed like kind of a pretentious choice because I personally had never heard of it and I found the movie to be rather ho-hum. And you're Swan! You should have picked something more well known and beloved, like Halloween! You could have won with Halloween! You made a mistake with Dr. Phibes. Sure, maybe you're just trying to introduce it to people, but come on. Stop this. You do this all the time -- just like in Song Tournaments. You always nominate the stupid stuff. Live a little and nominate the better stuff. Nominating Dr. Phibes just comes across to me as "posturing." Like, look at me -- I'm nominating this blah movie to show I know and like something different, something you may not have seen. But this is a contest and you're SWAN!!! Go with a winner! Stop choosing all these duds all the time! And yes, you do it all the time! I picked a loser for this contest but that's because I figured I probably wouldn't even stay during the whole duration and I didn't.

Swan "won" a hall of fame already, well he was a co-winner, but that still counts.
With what?

Oh! Don't take everything I say so seriously all the time.

I just thought it seemed like kind of a pretentious choice because I personally had never heard of it and I found the movie to be rather ho-hum. And you're Swan! You should have picked something more well known and beloved, like Halloween! You could have won with Halloween! You made a mistake with Dr. Phibes. Sure, maybe you're just trying to introduce it to people, but come on. Stop this. You do this all the time -- just like in Song Tournaments. You always nominate the stupid stuff. Live a little and nominate the better stuff. Nominating Dr. Phibes just comes across to me as "posturing." Like, look at me -- I'm nominating this blah movie to show I know and like something different, something you may not have seen. But this is a contest and you're SWAN!!! Go with a winner! Stop choosing all these duds all the time! And yes, you do it all the time! I picked a loser for this contest but that's because I figured I probably wouldn't even stay during the whole duration and I didn't.
They aint duds to me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Suspiria

There we go. This was a good one and was just what I was hoping to see. The visuals and the musical backdrop are both the critical components of the success of this film, but I also thought the death scenes were well executed. While horror generally means dark and dreary, the brightness and vibrancy of the film gave it a rather unique atmosphere while still maintaining the horror type of setting. It gave off a nightmarish feeling to it, while not feeling too simplistic. I didn't think the story was all that badly executed either. You can't really go too in depth on a horror story in my opinion but you don't want it to seem cheesy either, The acting wasn't great but it was covered up by getting so caught up in the visuals and the atmosphere of the film. I enjoyed it all around to be honest.

Let the night air cool you off
This horror hall of fame has made my days off pretty great. I just finished Alyce Kills, I have two more first-time watches and some priority rewatches to go. There hasn't been a movie that I really dislike yet, that might change when I try to rewatch The Haunting, but so far I've enjoyed most of my time spent with this "competition." I don't love The Ring , but I did enjoy a lot of the cinematography and atmosphere, but I felt like the silliness of the script and story turned me off. The stuff with the little boy didn't do it for me, and at times the dialogue made me cringe. I'd still give The Ring about -
when I am being generous and
when I'm not.

Unregistered User

The Night Stalker

One of the best TV movies I have ever seen, The Night Stalker is a taut, thrilling and (mostly) clever story of a vampire stalking modern-day Las Vegas. For me, the premise of this sounded rather ludicrous and I wasn't particularly excited about seeing this. But it totally worked!!
Darren McGavin was great as Carl Kolchak, an eccentric 'bloodhound' of a news reporter, covering a series of grisly murders. Theres not much violence or gore shown but what The Night Stalker lacks in bloodshed, it makes up in atmosphere and tension. My favourite scene in this film was about a 7 second side shot of Kolchak driving his convertible with THAT hat and the coolest, most dated 70's music you are likely to hear in the background. It just oozed of a grooviness that only that decade could maintain.

The only real trouble I had with The Night Stalker was not enough of the story went into the actual vampire. Perhaps delving a bit more into his background may have helped? Although really, this is just a small gripe I have to an otherwise hidden gem of a movie.

I really hope this does well here.

PS has anyone watched the original TV series?

+

Let the night air cool you off
So Rosemary's Baby has the highest win probability, but what do you think has the second highest win probability at this point? I was thinking Nosferatu, anybody else?