Footprint Quiz

Tools    

In my philosophy class we are discussing our ecological footprint. An ecological footprint is a measure of how much planet is required to sustain any actvity or lifestyle.
Did you know that if everyone on this plant lived like today's North Americans then it would take at least two additional planet Earths to produce the resources, absorb the wastes, and otherwise maintain life-support? Scary isn't it?
Today, there is only 1.5 hectares of land for each person. The typical North American uses three times his/her fair share. If the population continues to grow as anticipated, there will be 10 billion people by 2040. That means there will be less than 0.9 hectares of ecologically productive land, assuming there will be no further soil degradation.
Take this quiz and see what you can do to help out our planet. It will not only help your grandchildren and great grandchildren, but in this generation we will be able to breathe better, our reputations as North Americans will be greater to other countries (we won't be blamed for the collapse of our ecosystem), we will be less dependent on other countries for resources and so on. But most importantly, the Earth is not doing so well, think of it as a friend with a serious illness.
My footprint is 4, which means that if everyone lived like me we would need 2.2 planets. What I am doing to help is cutting out processed foods as often as I can and shopping at organic food markets and fruit/veggie stands. It will cost a little more but I think in the long run it will be worth it. I will be healthier physically and mentally.
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/in...52765166642242
To start the quiz, point to the country you are in, choose the language and continue.

We can't stop here!
I got 16. We'd need 3.6 planets

But guess what. Theres something that site missed. Something extremely important that slows population growth. War. War is inevitable and will always be. It won't be long before theres a WWIII and it will take the lives of millions, if not a billion. War is the equilibrium in the problem of population growth. War destroys societies and takes a huge gash out of the worlds population. With the newer and better war technology and the increase of nucluer arms, war will take the biggest gash out of human popilation it ever has. It won't be long, and sites like this will lose all meaning.

Populations tend to have fewer children as they become wealthier. Many European countries are currently reproducing below the replacement rate, for example. This is not to say that all fears of overpopulation are entirely unwarranted, but they're certainly overblown/premature.

It is all about who you are and who you want to be. If you want to be accomplished you can be....the one eyed man is King stuff...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Yoda
Populations tend to have fewer children as they become wealthier. Many European countries are currently reproducing below the replacement rate, for example. This is not to say that all fears of overpopulation are entirely unwarranted, but they're certainly overblown/premature.
Haven't you seen Soylent Green!?!?

At the world's current growth rate, about 1.2% (which equates to 12 people for every 1,000), the world's population will double in 58 years. European countries are reaching a plateau (for the record, very few have actually reached it) of population growth, which may reduce a eurocentric fear of exponential population growth, but the fact of concern for any demographer is that 90% of the population growth of the world comes from third world countries.

Irregardless of an equilibrium reached between fertility and mortality rates in Europe (and North America is catching up...or should I say catching down, depending on how you look at it), the problem is scarcely addressed where it needs to be.

The problem of exponential population growth isn't at epidemic proportions as some old sociologists would have you believe, old school Malthus for example, but it is reaching no sure conclusion anytime soon. It isn't a simple matter of non-educated people in poor countries not realizing that boning pops out a baby, the problem is that even in todays world a larger family means a larger chance for life. It may seem ridiculous that a family would have more kids than they could keep healthy just so that those kids can work a little more during the time they are alive, but it is a way of life and in some places, the only way of life.

The only way that 90% will go down is with time. As poorer countries become industrialized, just as with any country, population growth will decrease. The spread of contraceptives throughout poorer regions helps, but it isn't a cure and it isn't even a bandaid for the situation. Rapidly industrializing poorer nations won't solve the problem either; population growth will only be controlled by time or widespread pestilence (which, coincedently, we may be on the cusp of now).

As for war, it certainly is possible to take a chunk out of a few nation's populations - but it isn't like having a war, any war, is going to reverse population trends. The numbers may seem big at the time, but the increase in mortality rates during war time and the slight decrease in fertility are negligible in the face of the global population.

Unless of course South Africa decides to nuke India.

Kidding aside, wars between the industrialized nations will have little to no effect on that 90% that keeps it going. And wars inside that 90% simply are not strong enough, regardless of the death toll, to even slow the growth rate. If they did, wouldn't the '94 genocide in Rwanda have done even the littlest bit to cripple it?

EDIT: What scares me as a sociology major and a decent environmentalist isn't those increasing the population, it is those who are recklessly devouring the world. I had no idea these people even existed until I read the wonderfull Bill Moyer's excellent Battlefield Earth speech. Check it out. Frankly, **** the rapture index.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Originally Posted by A0C8C

But guess what. Theres something that site missed. Something extremely important that slows population growth. War. War is inevitable and will always be. It won't be long before theres a WWIII and it will take the lives of millions, if not a billion. War is the equilibrium in the problem of population growth. War destroys societies and takes a huge gash out of the worlds population. With the newer and better war technology and the increase of nucluer arms, war will take the biggest gash out of human popilation it ever has. It won't be long, and sites like this will lose all meaning.
Go away, seriously.

If everyone lived like me, we'd need 2.7 planets. Oh well, I'm privelaged.

We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I got 4,5. We'd need 2½ planets.

I'm what they call "environment ombudsman" at my work. During the education I learned most of the things Gummo said in her post. It is frightening...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

May The Forks be With Us
If everyone lived like me we would need 4.4 planets. That's insane.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Total Footprint - 1.7

If Everyone Lived Like You, We Would Need 1.0 Planets

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Total Footprint - 1.7

If Everyone Lived Like You, We Would Need 1.0 Planets

Great! Do you consciously make an effort to use as little resourses as you do? May I ask what country you live in?

Originally Posted by gummo
Great! Do you consciously make an effort to use as little resourses as you do? May I ask what country you live in?

I was taught not to waste anything, so it is a long standing habit... Right now I'm living in New Orleans...

Originally Posted by A0C8C

But war destroys natural resourses as well...

Originally Posted by OG-
What scares me as a sociology major and a decent environmentalist isn't those increasing the population, it is those who are recklessly devouring the world.
Amen!

Here is something interesting to do with the over population bit...http://www.overpopulation.org/solutions.html

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I was taught not to waste anything, so it is a long standing habit... Right now I'm living in New Orleans...
New Orleans...shoot, I knew that too...sorry.

AT HOME WE CAN

Start composting
use more energy-efficient light bulbs, shower heads etc
switch to forms of recreation and tourism which have a low impact on the environment
grow some of our own food
live closer to work (or the other way around)
use bicycles and public transport rather than cars
buy items made or grown locally rather than far away

CITIES AND TOWNS CAN

Plan attractive increased population density areas such as town centres and urban villages instead of accommodating further sprawl
offer living, working and shopping spaces in integrated neighbourhoods
reallocate urban space to encourage decreased use of cars. (e.g reduce road and parking space) and increased use of public transport, bicycles and walking (e.g. build bicycle speedways and attractive pedestrian areas)
encourage the planting of trees and greenspaces
establish urban land-trusts to give the community more control over land use
promote various kinds of affordable high density housing such: as secondary suites and cooperatives
introduce housing construction guidelines which minimize the consumption of resources
develop comprehensive waste reduction systems which include municipal resource reuse and reduction schemes

IN DOING BUSINESS WE CAN

rely on using locally available resources rather than imported ones
regain local control over production and distribution of those resources
secure local needs so that the long term livelihood of a region can be protected without compromising the livelihoods of other people in other regions
charge the true costs for private transportation, pollution and resource use
support community-based non-cash, volunteer and mutual aid networks
encourage ecologically sound businesses
offer tax breaks and other incentives for encouraging sustainable lifestyles, and tax and regulate unsustainable: behaviour.

(taken from http://www.iisd.ca/consume/mwfoot.html)

if everyone lived like me, we'd need 5.6 Earths

If everyone lived like me we would need 1.9 planets.

Room for improvement obviously.

We can't stop here!
Originally Posted by Godsend
Go away, seriously.
Why? War has been the biggest equalizer in the history of the earth, and every animal takes part in violent behaviors. It's a natural part of being a part of the human race, and being an animal in general. We can try our best, and create peace throughout the world and we'll still be shattered by War. You can't excape it. It's bad, and yes I hate war, but unlike most, I learned to live with it. Sometimes, especially with something this big, you just have to. Sorry if I offended you though, that was never my intent.

I do however, promote peace and try my best to environmantaly friendly. I break up fights alot, and pick up other's trash. But you can't escape everything or be perfect with everything. I've been in my share of fights, and of course fought as little as possible, and every once in a while I might forget to throw something away, but that usually floats around my car half the time. I mostly just have trouble with recycling at school and work.