Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Not bad. Was pretty clever in parts but the ending was a bit long.

Not the "greatest action picture of all time" anymore but it's a good old time western.

There's a lot I really liked about Suspiria (it looks fantastic!) but I will have to watch it again when I'm not half asleep. Biggest knock against it is that it's dubbed. I have a hard time getting into dubbed movies unless the dubbing is completely awful. Then I love 'em.

The Purge movies are a bit of a guilty pleasure. This one was crap.

carrie - 1976

some cat publicly criticized de palma, who carries what you think man
this movie should be in the schools program to stop bullying

nine - 2009

north by northwest - 1959

grandma's boy - 2006

forget cheech and chong and pineapple express this is the best stoners movie ever made
dante's life is what every sane man wants to have, a monkey to drive his car, a lion to protect his house, going around the house naked, making the christmas tree in july, selling weed with crazy names and play video games, my hero
Very glad to see I'm not the only person on the planet who watched Nine.

Weekend re-watches:

Number 1 on my list of favorite teen movies...funny and unpretentious, slightly raunchy but never dirty with a cast rich with once and future stars....Nicolas Cage, Forrest, Whitaker, Eric Stolz, Phoebe Cates (most memorable exit from a swimming pool ever), Anthony Edwards, James Russo, Ray Walston, Jennifer Jason Leigh offers a glimpse at the powerhouse actress she would become and what can be said about Sean Penn's Jeff Spiccolli that hasn't already been said? The role deservedly made him a star. An instant classic that still brings the funny.

Like the poster says, the most talked about movie of 1987. After this umpteenth viewing, I am not only convinced that Glenn Close was robbed of the Best Actress Oscar of 1987, I'm thinking that Adrian Lyne might have been robbed of the Best Director Oscar as well. His work here is absolutely sublime. Dan and Alex having sex in the elevator...that juxtaposing of Dan and Beth and their BFF's bowling while Alex sits home alone switching that lamp on and off with the MADAME BUTTERFLY tickets sitting next to the lamp... that unbearably tense scene where Dan comes home to find Alex and Beth talking...this is all the work of a masterful director, one of the most underrated in the business. This movie ranks up there with some of Hitchcock's best work...hasn't aged a bit since 1987.

Miss Sloane (John Madden, 2016)

An unethical political lobbyist does whatever it takes to sway Senator's votes on an upcoming gun control bill. CR

Director John Madden (Shakespeare in Love 1998) serves up an intriguing story premise in 2016's Miss Sloane, that unfortunately is saddled by contrived dialogue and feels more like a Showtime TV show than a hard hitting movie about the sleazy insider world of D.C. lobbyist.

While the lead Jessica Chastain is capable don't expect a performance like the one she gave in the riveting Molly's Game (2017). While both Miss Sloane and Molly's Game have similar themes about a hyper driven woman who will succeed by deceit, underhandedness and self control...Miss Sloane fails to deliver any heart felt emotions. The films pathos is austere as a stainless steel office and as cold as a D.C. winter.

I blame the coldness of the film on it's attempt at slickly written dialogue that's suppose to sound like insider lobbyist 'speak'. Maybe that sounded good in the early stages of production, but what appears on the screen is all style with little substance. I kept wishing the movie would shift gears and tell a compelling story like Spotlight (2015) had done, but nope as the film dragged on about the only thing of interest was Jessica Chastain's wardrobe. Sure Jessica looked great, but I can't say I though much of her 'goon squad.' Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to pack her high roller lobbyist team with a bunch of goofy rejects from TV's Friends. OK, they weren't really cast as extras on Friends, but they had enough inane quirkiness to have been extras on some TV sitcom.

Miss Sloane
needed less 'clever'...aka...contrived written dialogue and much more story narrative. A healthy dose of character and world building would've helped lift Miss Sloane to something worthy of it's subject matter.

Keeping Rosy (Steve Reeves, 2014)
+
Ironically not long after Rosy enters proceedings start to slide in effectiveness

I couldn’t finish this movie.
I did but wish I hadn't bothered. never seen the source material. Seemed "hacked together"....waste of Fassbinder IMHO.

Angel Face

+

I don't think it's considered one of the great classic noirs and I don't think it should be. It's still better than quite a few on the top 100 noirs list. Robert Mitchum is always fun to watch but I do prefer Jean Simmons as a good girl. Worth a watch.
Cricket,

I have you seen "Elevator to the Gallows"? Its considered French Film Noir... you may like it if you like this one.

Cricket,

I have you seen "Elevator to the Gallows"? Its considered French Film Noir... you may like it if you like this one.
I have but I cannot remember it well. I saw it when I was watching a lot of noir, and unless it was something I loved, a lot of them blend together. I do love Jeanne Moreau though.

'Gummo' (1997)

One of the most rawest, most human, brilliantly realistic and tragic films I've ever seen. A short silce of time in the lives of a few neglected souls in the USA.

Harmony Korine is a great film-maker.

“I was cured, all right!”

Camerawork is marvelous, acting is superb, the script is... well, it's Die Hard but with airplanes. Honestly, I love this movie, it's my 'marvel' film or maybe just another guilty pleasure.
Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack is cheese, patriotic and suspenseful at times, perfect for the movie. Gary Oldman rocks, the man is terrifying.
Initially, I rated it 3 out of 5 but I'll be lying to myself with this rating, so:
★★★★
I love a lot of things in this film, including the old CGI

Agreed. You rated higher than I did.
Yeah, I had a hard time rating it tbh as up to when the slide set in I was actually really enjoying it but after that point it started to irritate me more and more. Could easily have rated it as low as a
but opted for a somewhat generous rating in the end because of those first twenty-something minutes.

Unregistered User

Casque D'or (1952)

More a love story featuring gangsters, than gangsters featuring love. Not packed with action and not hard to follow but its a great movie. The acting stands out, in particular the two leads, who share great chemistry. There is a really tragic scene, which I'll not go into but it definitely stayed with me.