Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
50 times, you've seen it 50 times! Why?

I've only seen it 3 or 4 times since it came out. I rarely rewatch films over and over again. I know most people do, but I would get bored of any movie after just a few watches, unless it's been years.
Probably because it's been on TV so many times. There are bunch of movies that I'll watch every time I find them when I'm flipping channels, and for a while, Sixteen Candles was on that list.

Molly Ringwald might not have a big range of characters she could play but at the time in her life she was playing her self and very natural on screen. I haven't seen any of her latter stuff but always like the early stuff.
I haven't seen any of her more recent stuff either, but I read somewhere that she's been doing more arthouse stuff.

Did you know that Michael Schoeffling, who played Jake, (the boy she liked), retired from acting? The last I heard, he was building furniture in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Good, he was boring. He's the only character that doesn't shine. I read on IMDB trivia that he was so shy when he auditioned he almost didn't get the part.

5 banger for Sixteen Candles, interesting. I think 2016 should be the year Citizen does a 100 list.
I'm glad you asked. Here's why, of course Sixteen Candles 5/5 is not the same as Laurence of Arabia 5/5...so I don't compare all movies to one rating guide. In this case, I feel Sixteen Candles nails what it's trying to do and was ground breaking. So 5/5

I haven't seen any of her more recent stuff either, but I read somewhere that she's been doing more arthouse stuff.
I just requested Betsy's Wedding, which I've never seen. The only other thing I've seen Molly in as an adult was an episode of Outer Limits, and she was good but not stand out.

I'm glad you asked. Here's why, of course Sixteen Candles 5/5 is not the same as Laurence of Arabia 5/5...so I don't compare all movies to one rating guide. In this case, I feel Sixteen Candles nails what it's trying to do and was ground breaking. So 5/5
I have no problem with the perfect score, it just took me by surprise. Makes me want to see a comprehensive list of your favorites. Everyone needs a hundred list to set their favorites in atone and then blow up with dynamite when they despise the way they put it together. Join the fun. I mean who just watches movies and talks about them anymore. We must have lists.

The Wonderful Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1993)
"Die Macht der Bilder: Leni Riefenstahl" (original title)
Director: Ray Müller
Writer: Ray Müller
Stars: Leni Riefenstahl
Genre: Documentary, Biography, History

An insightful documentary into one of Germany's greatest directors, Leni Riefenstahl, who won world acclaim for her two documentaries: Olympia (1938) and Triumph of the Will (1935). After WWII she was ostracizied and scorned by the world for her involvement with the Nazi party, though she was never a member.

What struck me most about this film was with a turn of events, a promising director who might have achieved greatness instead chose to cast her fortune with Hitler and ended up a hated woman. There's something about how one's life can turn on a dime and fortunes change, Leni's life certainly did that.

Had things been different, if she had came to America in the 1930s like so many other German directors did...we might be talking about Leni and her films, instead she's nearly forgotten today.

Leni Riefenstahl is arguably one of the greatest woman directors.

"Riefenstahl won several awards, not only in Germany but also in the United States, France, Sweden, and other countries for Triumph of the Will."

Do to her association with Adolf Hitler and Triumph of the Will she became a very hated woman and her career was ruined. Leni was a genius at cinematography, directing and editing and some compare her to Orson Welles. Yet today even cinephiles know very little about her or her work, she made only a few films. Her work is worth exploring.

This film on Leni's life covers from her earliest days as a silent screen actresses, to her days as one of the first women directors, to the controversy of her associate with Hitler and the role she played in history...to her latter work in Africa as a photographer. And we learn about her personal life, Leni scuba dived into her 90s and had a much younger male companion too. Like her or hate her she was a remarkable woman. This is a must watch for any cinephile.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leni.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	23682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leni2.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	23684  

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
First things first, I love "Sixteen Candles". I am a sucker for that kind of film, anyway. Every now and then it is nice to just watch a simple film like that. Although, I am more a "Pretty In Pink" sort of gal. That one is a 5/5 for me.

Speaking of Molly Ringwald, there was that TV movie (I think it was called "Surviving") that wasn't too bad. Depressing but not bad. I think it is from the mid-80's. That was one of her better performances, I think. I am not too impressed with her as an actress, though. She seems like the sort of person who is the same in everything. Even if her characters are similar, it doesn't mean her acting should be.

Thanks Sean, I really should do a Top 100 list,...or some kind of list. I've thought about it a lot too. One of these days, it might be fun at that
I would love to see you accomplish this. If you could do it, maybe I would try one. But only if you did it first. Also, the keyword there for me was "maybe".

I watched Pretty in Pink awhile ago and I've been meaning to write a review. It's not a 5/5 for me as I just don't like the actor who played Ducky, Jon Cryer. Though I did like Molly in it, Annie Potts too, but I especially liked the bad guy, who was great at being bad! James Spader...Now I feel like writing that review

I watched Pretty in Pink awhile ago and I've been meaning to write a review. It's not a 5/5 for me as I just don't like the actor who played Ducky Jon Cryer, though I did like Molly in it, Annie Potts too, but especially the bad guy, who was great at being bad, James Spader...Now I feel like writing that review
I'm indifferent towards Jon Cryer as an actor, but I love the character of Duckie. As a girl, I always preferred him over Blane. Although, I have said for years that Andrew McCarthy has one of the best smiles ever. So, Blane may have won me over if he smiled at me.

As for James Spader, he is great in there. One thing he is really good at is playing someone slimy and snaky. A lot of the time the "bad" guys are the ones that I like best in a movie. I think they are the most interesting. And I always thought he was the most interesting character in there.

As for James Spader, he is great in there. One thing he is really good at is playing someone slimy and snaky. A lot of the time the "bad" guys are the ones that I like best in a movie. I think they are the most interesting. And I always thought he was the most interesting character in there.
Agreed and agreed. I really need to fill in my missing 80s film knowledge by watching some of Spader's films. Wasn't he in Less Than Zero?

Agreed and agreed. I really need to fill in my missing 80s film knowledge by watching some of Spader's films. Wasn't he in Less Than Zero?
Yes, he was. And he is even worse, character wise, in that one.

Have you ever seen "White Palace" with James Spader and Susan Sarandon? His character is completely different in there than what I have ever seen him in. I like the movie. I like it a lot, actually. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think I like it so much because I really like his character - and him - in there. It was one of those movies that I never really had any intention of watching. Then, one day, there was absolutely nothing on TV, and I sat through that. I ended up really liking it, which kind of surprised me. I just didn't think I would.

I know James Spader played a nerdy smart guy in Stargate. I haven't seen White Palace but I'm going to add that to my 2016 list of films to watch, I'll add Less Than Zero too.

I know James Spader played a nerdy smart guy in Stargate. I haven't seen White Palace but I'm going to add that to my 2016 list of films to watch, I'll add Less Than Zero too.
I loved White Palace...the chemistry between Spader and Susan Sarandon is off the charts...Less than Zero is worth seeing for the performance of Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr, is another actor who I should work at seeing his films.
Have you ever seen Heart and Souls (1993), Rules?
I'm not a big Robert Downey Jr. fan, but I really liked that movie.
(Haven't seen it in a long time so I hope it's held up as well as I remember it.)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Have you ever seen Heart and Souls (1993), Rules?
I'm not a big Robert Downey Jr. fan, but I really liked that movie.
(Haven't seen it in a long time so I hope it's held up as well as I remember it.)
Never heard of it, but, I just looked up and it sounds interesting. I'll add that one too my watch list too, thanks

Yes you have. You just don't remember hearing of it.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...20#post1332420