What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
Nicole is great in it. full stop. what an actress. bouche bee, like we say in froggish, is how i stay. wow is another word for it, without the fine nuances though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Not a fan of Lars Von Trier at all. Just someone I can't get into, a few people in my photography class drop his name every time I talk movies. Seems to be one of those directors that people believe make them sound educated in film, they don't seem to have any substance to their arguments as to why they like him. For me I have to be intrested in the story to watch a film, or have some prior knowledge of the director or stars of the movie. Don't think I'll be renting Dogville, just can't get into him as a director, and I'm not a fan of Nicole Kidman at all.
It's sitting on my coffee table as I type this and I'm thinking that I could have bought 10 Mayfair lights instead...

I'll try and give it a fair chance this time, but honestly thought it was contrived rubbish - on the one and a half times I've watched it.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Not a fan of Lars Von Trier at all. Just someone I can't get into, a few people in my photography class drop his name every time I talk movies. Seems to be one of those directors that people believe make them sound educated in film, they don't seem to have any substance to their arguments as to why they like him. For me I have to be intrested in the story to watch a film, or have some prior knowledge of the director or stars of the movie. Don't think I'll be renting Dogville, just can't get into him as a director, and I'm not a fan of Nicole Kidman at all.
Ok Stu I'll try to defend it with a little substance. The atmosphere is key. The sparse set enhances the isolated, desolate feel of the town tenfold and the voiceover narration gives it a fairytale feel. All of these and other factors combine together to sweep you up into this world. The cast of characters are all very interesting in their own right and the simple production highlights the fantastic performances. For me the film just made me feel everything Nicole Kidman felt as she struggled through her time in Dogville. It is painful, charming, sad, sweet and beautifully atmospheric. And yes, the photography/cinematography and especially the lighting are gorgeous. I may not be one of the eminent Mofolars that Tacitus is talking about, but I highly support this film!

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I could have bought 10 Mayfair lights instead...
Meh?
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Wheely cool bike girl
Elizabeth was a good price so I bought it. I like Geoffery Rush in just about anything.

The last DVD Movies I bought was the Jurasic Park Trilogy. I ebayd it and thought I got a good price but it turned out to be some Asian thing with no hard cases for the movies themselves, just clear sleeves with the discs in a box. Does any one know where I can get the cover art work (maybe a printable format) I can buy the hard cases myself.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Hey it's got Christopher Walken in it, always watchable, even in very doddgy films.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Hey it's got Christopher Walken in it, always watchable, even in very doddgy films.
It's not a fantastic movie but Walken and Viggo Mortensen (Lucifer) look like they had great fun camping around as angels. I hadn't seen it in 8 or 9 years.

I got for good luck my black tooth.

To be honest I haven't seen it before, but it's a 2-disc special collectors edition of what I understand to be possibly the best western of all time; and it was frickin' $7.50!

Just recieved " Ruthless People " and the Rolling Stones Documentary " Gimmie Shelter ". It's supposed to be the greatest music documentary, looking forward to it, and will do a review once I've watched it.
Also rented " Stander " with Thomas Jane, so, I've my work cut out, got to love you and leave you my fellow Mofos, a boy's gotta do.....

Game over man..Game over!
The Enforcer
Harlem Nights
Eraser-$5.99
They Live

Just received...the Rolling Stones documentary " Gimmie Shelter ". It's supposed to be the greatest music documentary, looking forward to it, and will do a review once I've watched it.
Don't know about the "greatest", but definitely one of the most interesting and memorable, of course because of the infamous death at Altamont when the Hell's Angels, supposedly there for security, went into the crowd with knives and chains and started a bit of a riot - all captured on film. But yeah, good music from the Stones, Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead, and a good look at the darker excesses of the lifestyle as the decade was winding down. And if you have a copy of the Criterion edition of the flick (though probably not in Scotland you don't), some great extras abound as well.

But for my money The Last Waltz (1978 - Scorsese) is the best Rock & Roll documentary ever made, centered around the farewell concert of The Band with a roster of guest stars including Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Muddy Waters and many others.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Man, no spoilers alerts!!!!
Already knew what happened, got the Criterion edition from Amazon, from the US, it's not availiable on Region 2.
Will do a review once I've watched it, will look out for The Last Waltz, cheers for the recommendation.

I rule
Bangkok Haunted
D2B in: Omen
Running out of time
The big empty
Love Object
Ginger snaps
Ginger snaps unleashed
Ginger snaps back: The beginning
The Locals
May
King of the ants
Class of 1984

REVIEWS

Anonymous Last told me to drop in ...

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Brotherhood of the Wolf

After seeing it on Showcase(Canadian version of Showtime and HBO) I was intrigued by it to the point where I needed to watch it again, I wasn't dissapointed.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
But for my money The Last Waltz (1978 - Scorsese) is the best Rock & Roll documentary ever made, centered around the farewell concert of The Band with a roster of guest stars including Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Muddy Waters and many others.
I'd either go for The Last Waltz or Demme's Talking Heads movie, Stop Making Sense. Of course, something about the realism of this next film keeps me coming back....

You can't, as they say, dust for vomit...