Film characters that have motivated you?

Tools    

Josef Švejk from "The Good Soldier Švejk" - very good role by Rudolf Hrusinsky. He was (similar like original from book by Jaroslav Hasek) very happy and optimistic. It is tough to find his counterpart in other anti-war movies :-)

"Tell Me. Do You Bleed? You Will."
Sadly, I came away from the movie feeling that the lesson was that sometimes a positive attitude alone isn't enough.
Isn't enough for what? Selling out?

The lesson is ride your passion regardless of what other people think. Have fun and enjoy the things you love regardless of the amount of profit it turns.

Both Andy and Red...

"Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of sh*t and came out clean on the other side."

From Red, to never lose hope, even if it takes 20, 30, or 40 years.

Isn't enough for what? Selling out?

The lesson is ride your passion regardless of what other people think. Have fun and enjoy the things you love regardless of the amount of profit it turns.
Hey, thanks for bumping this old debate.

I think my past posts made it clear that if you knew the true outcome of Ed Wood's career and life, then compare the small slice of it we see in the movie, that his full story is not inspiring.

His exuberance at one moment in his life may be inspiring, but when you compare that to what it led to, it's a very sad story with a lesson being (as I stated before) that sometimes a positive attitude alone may not be enough. It certainly wasn't enough for Ed Wood.

I think my past posts made it clear that if you knew the true outcome of Ed Wood's career and life, then compare the small slice of it we see in the movie, that his full story is not inspiring.

His exuberance at one moment in his life may be inspiring, but when you compare that to what it led to, it's a very sad story with a lesson being (as I stated before) that sometimes a positive attitude alone may not be enough. It certainly wasn't enough for Ed Wood.

Woods life was unquestionably tragic and sad.

But the film itself is still very much a love letter to underdogs, regardless of the reality of the story.

Hey, thanks for responding.

Excuse me, are you saying that Mr Burton was unable to capture Ed Wood's spirit? Damn, you need to just stop. You're sounding dumber and dumber. Please go now.

Woods life was unquestionably tragic and sad.

But the film itself is still very much a love letter to underdogs, regardless of the reality of the story.
Agree. I've come to love the film, but like with a lot of biopics about real people, the movies may be a bit bitter-sweet when you know how some of them ended up.

Hey, thanks for responding.

Excuse me, are you saying that Mr Burton was unable to capture Ed Wood's spirit? Damn, you need to just stop. You're sounding dumber and dumber. Please go now.
Where should I go and why?

I need to stop? You responded to my post on a thread argumentatively after being silent about it for almost a year. I simply replied.

I remember from last time (it's recorded on page 1) that you very quickly resorted to insults instead of supporting your opinion.

I'll take Burton's "word" for it that his movie captured Ed Wood's spirit... at that time in Ed Wood's life. But again, once knowing Ed Wood's outcome (all his troubles; poverty, addiction, leading up to his death) - the movie when looked at from a perspective of knowledge - not in the context of the movie, but within history itself - the life-lesson is: positivity alone may not be enough for success and life isn't always fair (or perhaps, if you are positive, you shouldn't degrade it with addictions to destructive substances or behaviors).

But I do thank you for the engagement.
Most interesting exchange I've had here in months.

But again, once knowing Ed Wood's outcome (all his troubles; poverty, addiction, leading up to his death) - the movie when looked at from a perspective of knowledge - not in the context of the movie, but within history itself - the life-lesson is: positivity alone may not be enough for success and life isn't always fair (or perhaps, if you are positive, you shouldn't degrade it with addictions to destructive substances or behaviors).
Yeah, too bad he wasn't able to solve all his problems with success and money. Dammit.

So I guess you think Jimi Hendrix was a sad failure as well. Man, it must be sad to live in your world where you worship money and safety. Try living a little. Try doing something that inspires somebody else. Hoard creative ideas, not little dirty dollar bills.

Yeah, what a weird conversation to have. It's so not cookie cutter and normal. Please don't lose sleep over having your opinion challenged by an out-of-the-box thinker.

Yeah, too bad he wasn't able to solve all his problems with success and money. Dammit.

So I guess you think Jimi Hendrix was a sad failure as well. Man, it must be sad to live in your world where you worship money and safety. Try living a little. Try doing something that inspires somebody else. Hoard creative ideas, not little dirty dollar bills.

Yeah, what a weird conversation to have. It's so not cookie cutter and normal. Please don't lose sleep over having your opinion challenged by an out-of-the-box thinker.
What's with all the ad hominem?

I thought we were discussing Ed Wood, not me.

P.S. Have you noticed our two avatars? Ben Batfleck seems a bit at odds with Superman. Is that just a coincidence or was it done on purpose?

Renaming thread: What are your strongest feelings regarding Ed Wood?

My turn:

He absolutely slayed in that angora sweater!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240423_002436_Firefox.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	98695