No More Nazis in Film

Tools    

I have no problem with Nazis as villains in non-fiction films. Schindler's List, Band of Brothers, and Valkyrie are all great films where having a Nazi as a villain makes enough sense to illuminate the past and teach a lesson.

But too many fiction writers just throw in Nazis as the go-to villain. And I'm not talking about films that take place directly in WWII, or during the Nuremberg trials, or even movies that have Nazi villains as comic relief, like in the Blues Brothers. I'm talking about films where the Nazis are inserted as villains into movies where they don't seem to belong.

Take Indiana Jones. I never really understood why they had Nazis at all in the movie. In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy travels to South America, Nepal, Egypt, and Indonesia. He retrieves a golden idol, has a brawl in an Arab bazaar, and dresses up in robes to blend in with the natives. But the Nazis appear out of absolutely nowhere. Why would Egyptian workers work for the Nazis? Why would Nazis even be in Egypt (at the time a British colony)? Why would the secular Nazis even look for an Ark whose existence is based on Jewish scripture?

I think Belloq would've made a better villain. Like Indy, he is a cunning archaeologist who is a bit more ruthless but who has a real reason to oppose Indy and seek the Ark. He also has a history with Indy, as shown when he takes the golden idol from Indy. Indy's own personal vendetta against Germany is not really explained by anything besides "Nazis. I hate these guys."

The moment the Nazis appear, any need to explain or enhance your villain is gone. The swastika takes the place of any character backstory or development. No need to explain your villain's goal, ambitions, or character traits--the term Nazi takes care of all of that. It's a crutch and frankly, a lazy writing technique.

Nazis made sense in the Last Crusade but that's also because a) part of the film takes place in Germany and b) the Nazi villainess, Elsa Schneider, is given some depth as a character. She wasn't as bland as the glasses-wearing guy in Raiders with the burnt hand. The audience got the time to know Elsa and genuinely feel betrayed when she reveals her allegiance. As opposed to Raiders, where once we see the Nazis we know immediately who to hate.

I'm going on too much about Indiana Jones. Other films that use this lazy technique are TV shows like The Man in the High Castle, which asks "what if the Nazis won WWII?" Their portrayal of an Axis-dominated world is exactly what you would guess if you've ever cracked open a history book. There's nothing new to add.

Some movies have even changed their villains into Neo-Nazis to avoid offending people or out of laziness. For example, in 2002 there was a film adaptation made of the Tom Clancy novel The Sum of All Fears. The film writers replaced the book's team of Arab, East German, and American Indian terrorists, each with their own backstories and individual reasons for being terrorists, into one bland Austrian neo-Nazi. It was clichéd and boring, and frankly painful to watch. And it made the plot ridiculous. The movie's villain, Richard Dressler, wanted to provoke war between the US and Russia so that he could create a Nazi Fourth Reich across Europe. In a world where Nazism is so demonized and discredited, why would a US-Russia war cause Nazism to resurge?

It seems Godwin's Law is not just for the internet. If a movie wants to use Nazis as the villain, that's fine. But using Nazis or neo-Nazis as your villain is using a crutch. Using them as villains does not excuse the writer from creating three-dimensional, realistic, and plausible villains and stories.

Take Indiana Jones. I never really understood why they had Nazis at all in the movie.
Let me explain that, as Indiana Jones takes place during/around WWII, the Nazi archeologist are believable as being in the film and on the search for the Arch of the Convent. Why?

Because it's a very real fact that Adolf Hitler and Reichsfuhrer Himler made an effort to find archaeological artifacts that would tie the Aryan race in with ancient Rome, etc. This was an actual Nazi project.

So the idea that Nazis were looking for the Convent at the same time Indiana Jones was, is plausible (as far as a fictional movie goes).

Yeah I can't say I disagree with you there. They do seem to be the generic go-to villains for a lot of fictional stories. I guess it's cause the Nazis were so infamous that they think that just adding them will add an emotional impact to whatever they're doing.

It even extends to video games, the biggest example being the Wolfenstein series. The first game's final boss is Hitler in a mech suit.

Master of My Domain
What you should be asking for is better character development in superhero/action films featuring villains, not "No More Nazis".

6 million jews died in the holocaust. Deny Nothing.
That's a misnomer. The total number of people murdered by the Nazis is at least 11 million, maybe more. In addition to 6 million Jews, there were millions of innocent Romas (Gypsies), Homo Sexuals, Communist, mentally ill and many other groups, murdered during the Holocaust.

Valkyrie (2008) was a strange example for this thread since the "hero" (Nazi Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg played by Tom Cruise) and his group of like-minded Nazi officers & politician are the protagonists because they're trying to kill Hitler. In this movie, the Nazis are both the heroes and villains.

Nazis will continue to be the penultimate villains in film for a long long time because it's far too Politically Incorrect to portray Radical Islamic Terrorists as a threat to humanity.

That's a misnomer. The total number of people murdered by the Nazis is at least 11 million, maybe more. In addition to 6 million Jews, there were millions of innocent Romas (Gypsies), Homo Sexuals, Communist, mentally ill and many other groups, murdered during the Holocaust.

Not a misnomer if it's true. You can talk about one slice of pie without needing to discuss the entire pie as a whole.

A misnomer is "eat like a bird" because in reality birds actually eat a lot compared to their body weight. According to norman bates, anyway.

Valkyrie (2008) was a strange example for this thread since the "hero" (Nazi Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg played by Tom Cruise) and his group of like-minded Nazi officers & politician are the protagonists because they're trying to kill Hitler. In this movie, the Nazis are both the heroes and villains.
Whats so strange about that?

Oskar Schindler was a member of the nazi party too.

Whats so strange about that?

Oskar Schindler was a member of the nazi party too.
You're right!

I was just saying it's strange to cite films where Nazis are also the heroes on a thread complaining about Nazis being the villains.

I totes agree it's time we give the poor Nazis a break, already! We get it, they were bad. Move on, People!

I also think serial killers, sharks, and cancer are getting too much play. Yeah, yeah, they're deadly, but big fat hairy deal.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

WWII movies need to stop, but I think Nazis are fine. They're simply a tool and the effectiveness of their use depends entirely on the person using them. They're also universal symbols of evil. I'm sure there were more Russian villains during the cold war and there are sure to be more middle eastern villains today.

Oh, come on guys...

it is really sad