Kneeling During National Anthem Is Unpatriotic

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
America has become my favourite reality television show.

Suspect's Reviews

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Precisely I am talking about those who want to bring people in front of a judge for this situation, or make them face administrative or legal consequences for not "respecting" national symbols, forcing not only patriotic views but a very specific way to express them.
Ah so you meant they would in time become fascist, got it.

I don't know where did "defending the constitution" factor in here but these people who try to force others to conform to their own standard of nationalism are not defending any constitutional text. So let me call them fascists as much as I want if that's your matter (not that defending legality makes you inherently less of a fascist, by the way).
Well, because in some countries citizens are bound by constitutional law - highest law there is in a county - not to disrespect their flag, for example. I'm simply pointing out a paradox - people call up for democracy but are quick to disrespect their democratically voted laws, not saying that is the case here, just answering to that last thing you said.

Also I don't know what the hell are you talking about when you mention Europe here. USA is not the only country in the world that recognizes freedom of expression and where coercive measures of the sort shouldn't be tolerated.
Freedom of expression is drastically different in Europe and USA... You don't need to get snappy about it instantly.

Ah so you meant they would in time become fascist, got it.
No, I mean they ARE fascist. Whether they have the power to actually influence anything or not doesn't change this label. If they don't it's just a sign that democracy works.

Well, because in some countries citizens are bound by constitutional law - highest law there is in a county - not to disrespect their flag, for example. I'm simply pointing out a paradox - people call up for democracy but are quick to disrespect their democratically voted laws, not saying that is the case here, just answering to that last thing you said.
Of course, because sticking to law does not equal to lack of fascism. After all fascist governments create a legal system that fits their ideology. What I mean is that saying that something is not fascist just because it's contemplated on a constitution or a legal text is not a good argument.

Freedom of expression is drastically different in Europe and USA... You don't need to get snappy about it instantly.
And you base your statement on what exactly?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Of course, because sticking to law does not equal to lack of fascism. After all fascist governments create a legal system that fits their ideology. What I mean is that saying that something is not fascist just because it's contemplated on a constitution or a legal text is not a good argument.
No, I'm not saying something is not fascist only because it is backed up by constitutional or legal texts. I'm saying people (not you personally) cannot claim to be democratic while simply ignoring democratically voted laws by the people they chose to represent them. If you have something against a democratic constitution or a certain law, go through the government, change it, vote, even organizes gathering or whatever you want to do in that manner, but illegally working against a democratically elected law is not a democracy.

And you base your statement on what exactly?
For example you cannot call homosexuality an illness, if you do you might be brought in front of a judge and go to prison. In most of the countries carrying flags and badges in supports of slavery are against the law as well.

No, I'm not saying something is not fascist only because it is backed up by constitutional or legal texts. I'm saying people (not you personally) cannot claim to be democratic while simply ignoring democratically voted laws by the people they chose to represent them. If you have something against a democratic constitution or a certain law, go through the government, change it, vote, even organizes gathering or whatever you want to do in that manner, but illegally working against a democratically elected law is not a democracy.
Of course that's the way to go but a couple things here:

1. Just because something was democratically elected doesn't mean it's not fascist, specially when the needs change and that law comes off as more restrictive towards people who were not taken into account back then.
2. The problem of many legal texts is that they are ages old and they must be understood as part of a specific context. Respecting democracy would ideally lead to understand that a democracy has to be inherently dynamic and bound to change its standards to adapt itself to current society. Instead, there seems to be a trend among governors to be conservative and avoid as much change as possible. You can't treat this as a one-sided issue.

Also, "ignoring" laws is a way to protest them and visibilize an issue that otherwise would not permeate to the rulers, which really doesn't become that much of a problem as long as it is performed in a civil and non-violent way. Civil disobedience has managed to put the focus on a lot of issues.

For example you cannot call homosexuality an illness, if you do you might be brought in front of a judge and go to prison. In most of the countries carrying flags and badges in supports of slavery are against the law as well.
If you mean that, that's specific of each country, not of Europe as a whole, and each have their standards on what stands as freedom of expression and what not.

I find it ironic that during the beginning of the era of hippy love in the USA, the military successfully staged a coup d'état in the country that originated democracy, Greece.