Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes...
Avengers (2012) -
++

A great film that combines all of the heroes we love beautifully and with an interesting villain. The action in this film is incredible and Joss Whedon did a great job handling the huge scope and pressure that comes with this film. My only real problem is everyone sounds like Joss Whedon in his films and his quip humor can really work or really not.

Avengers (2012) -
++

A great film that combines all of the heroes we love beautifully and with an interesting villain. The action in this film is incredible and Joss Whedon did a great job handling the huge scope and pressure that comes with this film. My only real problem is everyone sounds like Joss Whedon in his films and his quip humor can really work or really not.
Unfortunately, they came up with the dorkiest looking costume ever for Chris "Captain America" Evans. And the laughable thing is the producers claimed they didn't want to put Hawkeye in a costume because it would look "ridiculous" on screen.

This is why Metacritic is better in my opinion, it weighs "how much" critics like/dislike a film and not just "if" they like or dislike it.
Rotten Tomatoes also does this. The second block of text explains that.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Rotten Tomatoes also does this. The second block of text explains that.
Yes, but the tomatometer score is obviously the main focus and seems to be the only one most people pay attention to, and it's a terrible way to gauge the critical reception of a film. Metacritic wisely places the spotlight on the average score, not to mention they're better about vetting critics.

Yes, but the tomatometer score is obviously the main focus and seems to be the only one most people pay attention to, and it's a terrible way to gauge the critical reception of a film. Metacritic wisely places the spotlight on the average score, not to mention they're better about vetting critics.
Fair enough for the most part, but I strongly disagree with what I bolded. I think that collecting reviews from 300 critics, no matter how famous or small they are, is a much better judge of a movie than a collection of 50 critics that a specific website says matter more than others. If you're finding an average, a larger sample size is usually better.

Green Room -

Excellent movie, had pretty much everything I look for in a movie. Super tense, extremely brutal, and very well acted. May be a hard one to get through for some though, the girl I saw it with wanted to walk out because it was too violent, she ended up covering her eyes through most of it.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I think that collecting reviews from 300 critics, no matter how famous or small they are, is a much better judge of a movie than a collection of 50 critics that a specific website says matter more than others. If you're finding an average, a larger sample size is usually better.
What makes them matter is that they are professional critics who do it for a living. Many of the "critics" RT cites are nothing more than bloggers. What makes their opinion any more valid than the user reviews?

Solaris*
+

Ooh, really wish I could give a higher rating, however, I really have some major issues with the film. This is my second viewing and my initial thoughts haven't changed too much: this is Tarkovsky's weakest film. There are numerous sequences of breathtaking beauty, yet the film feels restricted when it reaches the Solaris space station. That specific location features a bland, sterile backdrop and there's not much room for Tarkovsky to perform his magical compositions. The film stretches on for far too long until it reaches the finale, which, by the way, is one of the greatest in the history of cinema. The first act and final act are aces, but the middle portion leaves me uninterested.
sad. This movie makes me feel like an ubermensch.

Good job, Lucas! Now you paradoxically made me want to rewatch it!
did you know that the instruction from the director for this scene was for her to f*** the air?

But yeah... movie is poop.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

I don't even know what to say about this film.
It's haunting, sometimes eerie, enigmatic, mysterious, atmospheric.
It's got some beautiful locals & cinematography. It's very "artsy."
Some of the characters are engaging at times, but I guess I'm easily frustrated by things that have no explanation and are specifically made with the intention of having no explanation.

The film made me "feel" a lot of things, so I guess it succeeded on that account, but it left me wondering what it had to say, what its message was... and on that I'm stumped.

I was intrigued by it, but I didn't "like" it as a satisfying film watching experience. I won't be seeking it out for a re-watch (unless it was for a class or analysis or something).

If you like slightly surreal mysteries wrapped in enigmas encased in a riddle, you might like this.

I'll give it a 5 for being an ethereal artsy thing set to film (or as a cure for insomnia), but I'll give it a 1.5 for overall entertainment value.

In the 7th grade, we had an English substitute teacher who had the class watch Picnic at Hanging Rock. It was very boring. I fell asleep.

In the 7th grade, we had an English substitute teacher who had the class watch Picnic at Hanging Rock. It was very boring. I fell asleep.
Good synopsis! I'm surprised they didn't make us watch this in art school (they made us watch every other weird, boring thing).

Good synopsis! I'm surprised they didn't make us watch this in art school (they made us watch every other weird, boring thing).
I'll probably give it another chance sometime soon. My taste in film has changed a lot since then of course.

I'll probably give it another chance sometime soon. My taste in film has changed a lot since then of course.
I've been thinking the same thing about my tastes lately, but I don't know - after investing 2 hours in "Picnic" I'm not so sure.

Then again, like other films that initially frustrate me (like The Exterminating Angel, Carnival of Souls, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, Birdman, and most films by David Lynch) I end up spending more time thinking about them, remembering them and discussing them than films I understand right off the bat.

Madness is the emergency exit…
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Other than having an alien invasion sort of apocalyptic scenario & the name 'Cloverfield' in its title, there weren't much similarities actually lies between the two films but still there is a little chance that may be a future sequel can give the answer(s) and bring some ties between these films.

It'd be better to be a standalone film other than releasing it as sort of a loose sequel of a popular flick. I enjoyed it. Liked the character driven, bit psychologically twisted story.

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

THE WINTER SOLDIER raised the bar for Russo brothers just 2 years ago and yet again they have accomplished another major Marvel project so much wonderfully this time also. Though very critically if I say, this may not be a flawless entertainer for everyone but just for those edge of your seat, intense action-o-graphy, Marvel fans can easily overlook the very few minor issues the story carried till the end. Where Black Panther steals the show at the first half, the Ant-Man & the Spidy comes with the surprise packages at the 2nd. I think after the first Avengers movie, this is another great show of Marvel superheroes where more or less each & every character got their fair amount of even brief screen time so effectively. Just go & watch it for that more than 15 minutes long 'Battle at the Airport' part...man! that was freaking awesome!