Watchmen

Tools    

In the Beginning...
I get that spoilers happen. I get that all of us let them slip out from time to time. But you've got to be an epic tool to put spoilers in an actual, formal review of the film without warning.
I've actually been sitting here fuming about this. Not only did the guy lay out that spoiler because he thinks the film is worthless (and, by proxy, any and all surprises it offers), but the publication went ahead and let it pass.

So this is what I just sent to The New Yorker:

Did anyone on staff actually read Mr. Lane's review of "Watchmen" before it went to the press? He's supposed to be a competent, if not credible, film reviewer... and yet he revealed the film's chief spoiler without any reservation or concern. This makes him an insufferable tool. Just because he thinks the film is worthless doesn't mean he should subject his readers to information they might actually want to find out on their own. That's irresponsible writing, and irresponsible editing allowed it to happen. In the future, please be intelligent and check your articles, particularly film reviews you plaster on the front page. Thanks!

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
What I meant by it changing my opinion is that I realized that Watchmen is really pretty silly, as someone said before. Before I start ranting I want to say I think it is a good graphic novel, but I don't think it is some kind of masterpiece, especially compared to great works of literature.

I've been reading books like The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in my English class, and compared to those Watchmen seems kind of silly. Really, the pervading pessimissim and misanthropy are kind of amusing. The idea of deconstucting the superhero, on it's base, is a worthwhile idea. But far too often the book starts going into these pointless philosophical ramblings, which do nothing to move the book forward.

I didn't notice the spoiler in The New Yorker before and agree that that is just irresponsible. They should pull that review. Plus, I agree that the review seems more like a review of the book and a chance for the author to rant about Moore and less of a film review.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

In the Beginning...
I've been reading books like The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in my English class, and compared to those Watchmen seems kind of silly. Really, the pervading pessimissim and misanthropy are kind of amusing. The idea of deconstucting the superhero, on it's base, is a worthwhile idea. But far too often the book starts going into these pointless philosophical ramblings, which do nothing to move the book forward.
These are good points, but I think we have to remember that Watchmen was written in response to the Golden and Silver Ages of comics, in which every superhero was inherently noble and put-together, and every villain was inherently evil. Superman, for example, has always been the golden boy with little flaws and no inner demons.

Watchmen uses superheroes (as exaggerated examples of righteousness) to illustrate how dangerous it would really be if such exaggerated people were a little more broken, like you and me. This really is designed to serve a more political message about who we elect as our world leaders, and the kinds of beliefs, reservations, and biases they bring to office.

Alan Moore deliberately chooses to portray irony in his characters: the darkest characters are the most righteous, and the brightest characters the most corrupt. Even the chief antagonist carries out his horrible plan for larger, more complex reasons than just greed, vengeance, or the desire for destruction.

As for the characters waxing philosophical, I think there are underpinnings in the rhetoric that make sense after subsequent readings. Dr. Manhattan's chapter, for example, deals quite directly with the implications of the atomic age, where humanity begins to walk the path of playing God. (And he's a walking example of that idea.) Conversely, Rorschach's chapter passes judgment on the existence (or non-existence) of God altogether, which stabs at the heart of faith as well as the "superhero" as a dubious god-like construct.

Before I start ranting I want to say I think it is a good graphic novel, but I don't think it is some kind of masterpiece, especially compared to great works of literature.
That is subjective really. And one would not compare that which is incomparable: does one compare great music to great stories or great films?
But far too often the book starts going into these pointless philosophical ramblings, which do nothing to move the book forward.
Such as what? Such "pointless philosophical ramblings" likely add to the book's credibility rather than take from it.

Welcome to the human race...
Checking the times that the cinemas I usually go to are showing it at tomorrow - I can never remember what number cinema is IMAX...

I'm about to spam you all in 3...2...1...

Hey! You know what you guys might like? Taking a really, really easy Watchmen quiz. It's a beginner's quiz, and it's centered around the graphic novel (as opposed to the movie, which may spawn another quiz before long). Anyone who's read the graphic novel will probably ace it.

Watchmen Quiz

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm debating on whether or not I should go check out the midnight screening tomorrow night. I'm off work for a week to get better, so I don't have anything going on Friday morning, but still...3 hours?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm about to spam you all in 3...2...1...

Hey! You know what you guys might like? Taking a really, really easy Watchmen quiz. It's a beginner's quiz, and it's centered around the graphic novel (as opposed to the movie, which may spawn another quiz before long). Anyone who's read the graphic novel will probably ace it.

Watchmen Quiz
I got a 100; easy peasy, lemon squezy. I know the last part just sounded so stupid, .

Anyone who has read it more than once should probably not be counted--the questions could be more difficult.