David Lean Centenary

Tools    

As many will know this year is David Leans centenary of his birth. I think that he was probably one of the best British directors last century. Last year my wife bought me a box set of his earlier stuff, they are great It got me to thinking if I had choose my 5 favourites of his what what would they be? I eventually opted for:

Bridge Over the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
Hobsons Choice
This Happy Breed
Blythe Spirit

Does anyone have a top five of Leans work?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I don't have a top 5, but I would like to mention Ryan's Daughter, a film you didn't cite. I feel like that film is often overlooked when people talk about David Lean.

Amazing director. Great films. Lawrence gets all the accolades, but I also personally think The Bridge on the River Kwai deserves just as much.

Yeah, I agree that Ryan's Daughter is generally underrated. And by the same token, I feel A Passage to India gets a little more respect than it deserves. Not a bad movie at all, but because it was the great master's last work, made as his health was deteriorating, at the time certainly it got a bit of a push probably a bit higher than it deserves. I don't see how one can argue against Lawrence and Kwai as his best two films, but if somebody feels that way please let us know.

This is how I grade his filmography...

David Lean
In Which We Serve, A-
This Happy Breed, B+
Blithe Spirit, B+
Brief Encounter, A-
Madeleine, B-
Great Expectations, A-
Oliver Twist, B+
The Sound Barrier, B
Hobson's Choice, A
Summertime, B
The Bridge on the River Kwai, A+
Lawrence of Arabia, A+
Doctor Zhivago, B
Ryan's Daughter, B+
A Passage to India, B-

overall grade: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I had actually forgotten Ryans Daughter especially the excellent part played by John Mills. I was neven that keen on A Passage to India, personal taste I guess. I have been watching some of Leans films over the past night or two, last night it was the Sound Barrier which I always enjoy but before that Hobson's Choice (again with Mills) but it is Laughton who makes the laughs, though I know that there are many were/are not keen on Laughton. The night before I watched and enjoyed This Happy Breed.

If Lawrence of Arabia is the gold standard then I don't think I'd feel good giving any of his other movies that I've seen (just Bridge on the River Kwai, Zhivago, Great Expectations and Passage to India) over a C. Against other movies in general maybe higher, but I just can't get excited about anyone else when Lawrence of Arabia's in the room. Bitches.

But by all means, happy centenary, David Lean's Ghost. May you haunt Movie Forums benevolently for the rest of your ectoplasmic days.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I love Lean, and I've waited to respond because I wasn't really sure how to add anything unique or appropriate. I'm pretty sure the first Lean film I saw was The Bridge on the River Kwai, on TV, sometime in the 1960s. I knew it was really good, but it produced so many contradictory feelings in me, even as a pre-teen, that I wasn't truly sure how good it really was. I couldn't decide which of the characters were right or wrong, and I'm talking about at least four different main characters here. Nicholson (Alec Guinness), Shears (William Holden), Saito (Sessue Hayakawa) and Warden (Jack Hawkins) all seemed to be equally "right" and "wrong", and then the way the ending was staged made it even more difficult to know what was going on and who did the right thing. But I will say now, after having watched the film at least 20 times, that it's meant to be complex and open to interpretation, and because it was a big, spectacular film, I can understand why it garnered so many Awards, even if Kubrick's more-striking Paths of Glory came out the same year to little fanfare.

I mostly agree with Holden's assessment of Lean, although I believe his overall grading is a bit higher than my own. Even so, if one of his films "just shows up on TV", as The Passionate Friends did recently, I'd probably drop everything (except for maybe a Dodger game) and watch the whole thing. I do have an extremely soft spot for Hobson's Choice because I find it to be an incredibly entertaining and romantic comedy about a subject you will rarely ever find addressed anywhere else.

&feature=related

Here are my ratings:

In Which We Serve, C+
This Happy Breed, C+
Blithe Spirit, B+
Brief Encounter, B
Great Expectations, B+
Oliver Twist, B
The Passionate Friends, C+
Madeleine, B-
The Sound Barrier, B-
Hobson's Choice, A-
Summertime, B-
The Bridge on the River Kwai, A-
Lawrence of Arabia, A-
Doctor Zhivago, B+
Ryan's Daughter, B
A Passage to India, B-

I do believe that the waves crashing against the rocks in Ryan's Daughter is one of the most incredible scenes in film history, but I probably have to temper that a little because John Mills was given his Best Supporting Oscar for ostensibly a "career achievement", while Chief Dan George (Little Big Man) was left hangin' in the wind, making the Academy 0/2 since Jack Nicholson was snubbed for his total awesomeness in Easy Rider the year before. These "backstage" machinations don't really reflect the way I feel about the films in question; it just enables me to add some boring subtext.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I love Lean, and I've waited to respond because I wasn't really sure how to add anything unique or appropriate. I'm pretty sure the first Lean film I saw was The Bridge on the River Kwai, on TV, sometime in the 1960s. I knew it was really good, but it produced so many contradictory feelings in me, even as a pre-teen, that I wasn't truly sure how good it really was. I couldn't decide which of the characters were right or wrong, and I'm talking about at least four different main characters here. Nicholson (Alec Guinness), Shears (William Holden), Saito (Sessue Hayakawa) and Warden (Jack Hawkins) all seemed to be equally "right" and "wrong", and then the way the ending was staged made it even more difficult to know what was going on and who did the right thing. But I will say now, after having watched the film at least 20 times, that it's meant to be complex and open to interpretation, and because it was a big, spectacular film, I can understand why it garnered so many Awards, even if Kubrick's more-striking Paths of Glory came out the same year to little fanfare.
Wow, mark, I felt the exact same way! Great description and you reminded me -- I can vividly remember seeing this film as a kid and being incredibly confused and haunted by it. I kept waiting for the film to tell me how to feel about these characters. But more than anything, I remember Alec Guinness and that bridge -- I actually felt sorry for him. The ending rather blew me away. I couldn't get it out of my head for the longest time. Seeing this film for the first time is a moment I will never forget.

Let's face it, they don't make movies like this anymore very often.

I do believe that the waves crashing against the rocks in Ryan's Daughter is one of the most incredible scenes in film history, but I probably have to temper that a little because John Mills was given his Best Supporting Oscar for ostensibly a "career achievement", while Chief Dan George (Little Big Man) was left hangin' in the wind, making the Academy 0/2 since Jack Nicholson was snubbed for his total awesomeness in Easy Rider the year before. These "backstage" machinations don't really reflect the way I feel about the films in question; it just enables me to add some boring subtext.
I also will never forget this film and it's why I first brought it up. I must have been about 14 years old when I saw it and it was like the most haunted memory I have of the time. Not even the more popular films of the day could compare to my feelings when watching this film. I haven't even revisited it and yet I hear that music and I get this deep memory of feeling torn up inside. When they cut her hair... it was like Alec and the bridge... I can't think of another word than "haunted." His characters were never one dimensional. I didn't even like Lawrence that much and yet the film was about him. Just amazing stuff.

I also think Mitchum was great here. One of his best performances.

I watched the scene you brought up and that made me watch a bunch of the other videos there. Then I did a bit of research and discovered that the critics panned this film. I hadn't ever really thought about that or remembered that. I have no idea why except that films were changing then and I gather they thought Lean was outdated. He will never be outdated.

Some say it is why Lean waited 10 years to make another one; others say he had financing that fell through. Whichever reason is rather sad because this film is brilliant, imo. I also read that Christopher Jones (who played the Major) never acted again after this film. Lean didn't like him or the performance and personal problems made him quit. I also found out that the part was written for Brando but he couldn't do it... wow, that would have been something.

I get all the criticism about Mills and his Oscar, but I thought he did a great job. Although, like you, I remember rooting for Chief Dan George.

I am the Nightrider!
I remember reading an interview with writer James V. Hart at the time Bram Stoker's Dracula was released (or just about to be released). One thing he said that always stuck with me was how David Lean was the first choice to direct, but passed on it to pursue another project.

Apparently, Lean was prepping an adaptation of Joseph Conrad's Nostromo, but died just before production began.

That would've been amazing and interesting, Bram Stoker's Dracula through the eyes of David Lean.

-UJ

This was in The New York Times a couple weeks ago...

DAVID LEAN, PERFECTIONIST OF MADNESS

The director David Lean in 1946

By TERRENCE RAFFERTY
Published: September 12, 2008

DAVID LEAN was famous for his perfectionism, and like every director afflicted with that quality he didn't — couldn't — make perfect movies. His films betray the anxiety of their making. He also couldn't make many. He completed just sixteen in his long career, a paltry four in the thirty-plus years that followed the great international success of his wartime epic The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957). That movie ends, after nearly three hours of conflict, peril, courage, violent death and decidedly mixed motives, with a single summarizing word, spoken twice: the word is "madness".

And if you were to watch all sixteen of David Lean's pictures, being shown at Film Forum's centennial retrospective (through September 25th), you might find that word echoing in your head even as you're admiring their impeccable craftsmanship: the precise editing, the elegant compositions, the smooth camera movements, the unimpeachable performances. The madness in his method is what gives his work its quivering, almost alarming life.

Maybe the signature shot of Lean's career is the long, long take of Sherif Ali (Omar Sharif) approaching across the sands in Lawrence of Arabia (1962), an indistinct, heat-shimmery figure gradually coming into focus in the blinding desert sun. That spectacular shot is, in a way, this filmmaker's career in miniature, progressing slowly, waveringly, from very small to very large, and demanding our attention at every stage. Lean, an Englishman to the marrow of his bones, was from the beginning an artist fascinated by both the small and the large, oscillating between his attraction to the one and his yearning for the other — between the domestic, you might say, and the imperial.

His first film, In Which We Serve (1942), whose co-director was its writer and star, Noël Coward, is a strange blend of grand-scale naval battle scenes and flashbacks to the mundane lives of the British seamen and their families, both a stirring exercise in patriotic propaganda and an anthology of cozy sentimental vignettes (the blood and sweat are in the battle sequences, the tears all in the kitchens and parlors). It was an enormous success with the beleaguered British public, recognized as a pure form of the message that morale-boosting movies always deliver: Men will do extraordinary things to preserve their ordinary pleasures.

In 1944 and 1945, as the War wound down, Lean made three more films written by (or based on plays by) Coward: This Happy Breed, a portrait of an English middle-class family between the wars; Blithe Spirit, a supernatural drawing-room comedy with an explosive performance by Margaret Rutherford as an awfully enthusiastic medium; and that heartbreaking tale of almost-adultery Brief Encounter, which was, until River Kwai, probably Lean's most celebrated movie.

Brief Encounter, whose scope is extremely narrow, is perhaps the closest this filmmaker ever came to perfection. The performances by Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard as the repressed would-be lovers are exquisitely modulated; the narrative is tightly constructed (it is, at eighty-six minutes, Lean's shortest picture); the black-and-white cinematography of Robert Krasker is eloquent, its crispness a neat reflection of the painfully sharp perception the lovers share in their fleeting afternoons together.

And then, having made this nearly flawless romantic artifact, Lean walked away from the tidy Englishness of Coward and turned his hand to a rather different, considerably messier, kind of expression of the national spirit: the crowded Victorian melodramas of Charles Dickens. Although Lean's Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948) are markedly less rambunctious than the novels, they are not so fastidious that they violate Dickens' distinctive comic-gothic tone either. Lean is as careful as ever, but in these pictures (especially Oliver Twist) the care pays off in the increased density and vibrancy of the images, and — gratifyingly, a little surprisingly — a heightening of those big, unsubtle Dickensian emotions.

He turned aside from that too. In the decade that passed between the Dickens movies and the international triumph of River Kwai, Lean made five films that barely resemble one another and remain among his least known. Three of them star his wife at the time — the third of six — Ann Todd: The Passionate Friends (1949), Madeleine (1950), and Sound Barrier (1952). One, Summertime (1955), finds Katharine Hepburn in Venice, enjoying a bittersweet vacation fling with a married Italian gentleman. The oddest, and most interesting, of these films, is Hobson’s Choice (1954), a comedy in which Charles Laughton plays an alcoholic Manchester boot-shop proprietor whose tyranny over his three daughters is decisively overthrown. It's a modest picture, graceful and wry and quickened from time to time by nicely choreographed set pieces of physical comedy.

But in the light of Lean's career Hobson’s Choice has a certain resonance because it is, as Bridge on the River Kwai would later be, an ambivalent portrayal of a pathologically controlling man. Hobson gets off more easily than Alec Guinness' Colonel Nicholson in River Kwai, who ends up destroyed, like his most meticulous creation. David Lean, who died in 1991 at eighty-three, was himself a prisoner of the will to perfection. He clearly understood too well the impulse to make something beautiful and then to blow it up. His movies, this series shows, are infinitely richer for the conflict. It's the best kind of madness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/movies/14raff.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=david%20lean&st=cse&oref=slogin

And while that article was about the series at New York's Film Forum, the local film society here in Portland, Oregon is also screening Lean films in honor of his centennial. The info from their website www.nwfilm.org...

DAVID LEAN: TEN BRITISH CLASSICS

Critical and popular evaluations of the career of British director David Lean (1908-1991) generally focus on three of his most famous films: The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago. While these films achieved popular success and legendary status, they also earned Lean the reputation of only being capable of staging stunning, but impersonal, commercial stories on an epic scale. This centenary retrospective of Lean's earlier films from the 1940s and '50s, restorations drawn from the Archives of the British Film Institute, offers a more balanced appreciation of his talents. Ranging from adventure narratives (In Which We Serve), through literary and stage adaptations (Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, This Happy Breed, Blithe Spirit), to "women's" melodramas (Brief Encounter, Madeline, Passionate Friends), these diverse films offer a full picture of Lean's artistic brilliance and personal vision. A common character in Lean's work is the visionary protagonist who seeks to remake the world according to his or her dreams. From a man who rose from clapperboard assistant to master filmmaker through the tenacity of his vision, this recurring figure may be David Lean's most personal touch of all. For critic David Thomson, the films of this period constitute Lean's greatest achievements: "They are lively, stirring, and an inspiration — they make you want to go out and make movies, they are so in love with the screen's power."

IN WHICH WE SERVE
UK 1942
Director: David Lean, Noël Coward

Lean shared the directing credit with Noël Coward, who wrote and starred in this tense and moving account of life on board a wartime destroyer. Although based on the experiences of Louis Mountbatten, this is a state-of-the-nation film with social divisions on shore faithfully mirrored aboard ship. Lean arranged all the camera set-ups and directed Coward in his scenes in front of the camera. With John Mills, Bernard Miles, Celia Johnson, Richard Attenborough.

THIS HAPPY BREED
UK 1944
Director: DAVID LEAN

Noël Coward was again the source for this story of a London lower middle-class suburban family in the inter-war years from 1919 to 1939. The finely and wittily observed family feuds unfold against a panorama of public events ranging from the General Strike of 1926 to the outbreak of war itself. Beautifully acted by an ensemble cast featuring Robert Newton, Celia Johnson, John Mills, Kay Walsh and Stanley Holloway, and shot in Technicolor, the film was a huge contemporary hit and has lost little of its appeal.

BLITHE SPIRIT
UK 1945

Lean's first comedy, again scripted by Noël Coward from his Broadway hit, stars Rex Harrison as a successful and cheerfully cynical novelist whose marital bliss is interrupted by the mischievous ghost of his first wife, visible to him but invisible to everyone else. The simple but effective special effects, all the more impressive in Technicolor, won an Oscar. With Constance Cummings, Kay Hammond, Margaret Rutherford.

BRIEF ENCOUNTER
UK 1945

Lean's international reputation was established with this study of unfulfilled passion and guilt—themes that were to recur in his later work. Critically debated, referenced and remade, this account of an unconsummated affair between a middle-class housewife (Celia Howard) and a doctor (Trevor Howard), forced to meet at a railway station, retains a tight emotional grip on any contemporary audience

GREAT EXPECTATIONS
UK 1946

Undoubtedly one of the finest Dickens adaptations, Lean's film is studded with memorable set-pieces, from young Pip's hair-raising encounter with Magwitch in the graveyard to the eerie Gothic fantasy world of Miss Havisham. The Oscar-winning team of cinematographer Guy Green and production designer John Bryan bring Dickens' settings to vivid, indelible life. With John Mills, Valerie Hobson, Bernard Miles, Alec Guinness.

OLIVER TWIST
UK 1948

Dickens' extravagant vision of Victorian London is perfectly balanced by superb performances and Lean's fierce grip on the sprawling narrative. Guy Green and John Bryan lend an Expressionist look to Fagin's hellish underworld and Alec Guinness, in his second major role, gives a finely judged theatrical—if controversial—depiction of Fagin himself. Lean was always eager to open a film without dialogue and here he excels himself with a tour de force sequence of Oliver's pregnant mother battling against a storm. With Robert Newton, John Howard Davies, Kay Walsh.

THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS
UK 1948

One of the least known films in the director's distinguished canon, this absorbing love story is a fascinating companion piece to BRIEF ENCOUNTER and has been hailed by critic David Thomson as “of all Lean's works the film most deserving rediscovery”. Mary (Ann Todd) has chosen a comfortable secure life with her rich banker husband (Claude Rains) over romantic passion with her first love Steven (Trevor Howard). Turmoil ensues when Steven suddenly reappears in her life. With its subtle performances, nuanced direction and beautiful cinematography, THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS, adapted from a story by H G Wells, is a triumph of visual storytelling from a master of the art.

MADELEINE
UK 1949

In this period drama, set in Victorian Glasgow and based on a true story, Lean exploits the ambiguous and enigmatic screen presence of Ann Todd. Here she plays a young woman who, rebelling against her patriarchal father (Leslie Banks), falls for a penniless but exploitative French aristocrat Ivan Desny) who later dies of arsenic poisoning. MADELEINE is anything but a victim, daring to expose her sexuality. Guy Green's deep focus photography owes much to CITIZEN KANE.

THE SOUND BARRIER
UK 1952

The human cost of scientific progress underlies this story of an aircraft manufacturer whose obsession for perfection leads him into near madness and brings his family suffering—a tendency shared by Lean himself. The script by Terence Rattigan delivers the drama, but the exhilarating aerial footage and the score by Malcolm Arnold are what lodge in the memory. With Ralph Richardson, Ann Todd, Nigel Patrick.

HOBSON'S CHOICE
UK 1953

Charles Laughton delivers a bravura performance as a self-important Lancashire bootmaker who attempts to dictate his daughter's choice of husband, only to find that she marries his downtrodden and simple-minded employee and starts a rival business. Set in the 1890s, this working class comedy by Harold Brighouse was first staged in 1916 but is here given a fresh breath of cinematic life thanks to luminous cinematography by Jack Hildyard. With John Mills, Brenda de Banzie, Prunella Scales.

http://www.nwfilm.org/screenings/?volissue=365&series=2

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Wow! I hope you go see most of those because I'm not sure which ones you've seen on the big screen. For example, although I find the dramatics of The Passionate Friends a bit on the rehashed side, it's full of stunning cinematography. In fact, if nobody had ever seen another Lean film, that film would probably be periodically mentioned as a "lost visual masterpiece".

Originally Posted by mark f
Wow! I hope you go see most of those because I'm not sure which ones you've seen on the big screen. For example, although I find the dramatics of The Passionate Friends a bit on the rehashed side, it's full of stunning cinematography. In fact, if nobody had ever seen another Lean film, that film would probably be periodically mentioned as a "lost visual masterpiece".

Yeah, that's one of the couple I'm making damn sure to catch on the big screen (the Northwest Film Center screenings are in the month of October). I'm going to make it to Hobson's Choice, too. I've seen both of the Dickens adaptations and Brief Encounter in the theater before, so I'll probably let them go this time. It'll depend on how busy I am (and how interesting the Baseball post season is) which of the others I manage to see.

Originally Posted by mark f
Hobson's Choice is also beautiful on the big screen. I hope you get to watch it with a receptive audience. Do these things draw big crowds in Portland?
Yup.

I am half agony, half hope.
Slug and I have tickets to go see a slew of Lean's films at UCLA in October. I've only seen three, and none on the big screen, so we'll make a date night out of it and see some great cinema. I can't wait.

Johann von Goethe