Computer Dating

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
No, that doesn't mean you're dating your computer. Although, with the time
I spend on mine we could be considered going steady!

Really though; in the 60's computer dating meant you went into an office, took a compatibility quiz and your card was fed into a giant "HAL" sized computer. Your card was spit out with a bunch of holes in it. From there, the holes were matched up with someone most likely to be your mate. Since I wasn't really around in the 60's, I don't know what the success rate of that service was.

What I do know is that in the 2000's computer dating is still around. Sites like Match.com and others, fill the web with opportunities for the lonely, looking for a chance to meet Mr./Ms. Right. In fact it's no longer a rarity to know someone who has subscribed to the service and met someone they really liked.

The future of dating has been reduced to a Username, a log in code, and a 5-year-old picture of yourself-- 10 pounds lighter!

But it is a successful service! What do you think of this? Would you ever consider doing it? Don't you think it's dangerous? And why is traditional dating almost a thing of the past?

Remember, these online services cost money, asking someone out in real-life is less expensive. I wonder if more men use the service. What do you think?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I met my girlfriend on AIM. She IMed me because we were both going to GW.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I've used online matchmaking services a couple of times. I've met some really great men. No huge connection, but I've had a good time with it.

As for it being dangerous, that depends on the care you take with it. I exchance a couple of emails, a few IMs, a couple of phone calls... and any red flags that go up, it's over. If they're cool, we meet in a public place for coffee, and if that goes ok, then they've been through a MUCH more rigorous screening process than if I met someone at a bar or the beach or something. So no...... not dangerous at all.

Is this an indirect way for you to get a date? ; )

Once we get crystal-clear, no-lag video conferencing, meeting on the Internet'll become far more common, I imagine, eventually becoming just another way to meet people.

It's taking off in popularity simply because even fairly confident people can have a tough time approaching others. If you walk up to someone out in public, you have no idea they're seeing anyone, and, if they're not, if they're even looking to. On the Internet dating scene, you generally go into any communication already knowing that the person is available, and looking for someone. Changes the entire mood, I'd say.

Plus, the Internet is, you know, for ugly people. Except me. And Toose.

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
I've never used matchmaking services, only chat programs, and web forums like this one. But already I've met plenty of good people online, and had several nice 'web-relationships'. The only problem is on the web, you have a high chance of meeting someone really far away from yourself - and there is also a high chance he/she will fit your description of the perfect mate. Happened to me a few times too, we hadda give it up because of distance problems. Well, don't want to be sharing a sob story here... anyway be sure to check first of all that gal or guy is accessible... to be practical.

"Never let a dog pick what you watch."

I met someone on the net, we fell in love and all that and, we now have a beautiful baby.
Shame it all went **** up and we are no longer together, but thats life.
In some ways the net is easier to getting to know someone but the down side is the person your talking to may not be who they say thay are.

Plus i'm not ugly my mom said so.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Yoda
.... On the Internet dating scene, you generally go into any communication already knowing that the person is available, and looking for someone...
I'd recommend not making that assumption.
All I'm sayin'.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
I'd recommend not making that assumption.
All I'm sayin'.
Actually, you're quite right. I know some people who can attest to that. Hence the "generally" -- but yes, it's still a risk. Just less of one, I think.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Actually, you're quite right. I know some people who can attest to that. Hence the "generally" -- but yes, it's still a risk. Just less of one, I think.
Yoda, I'm not ugly.

Never done, probably never will, but it seems to make sense from a logical standpoint. And I know a lot of really hot people (in RL) who get online. The extent of their time online may be in question, but yes--these days, the internet should have some hotties.

rhymes with Goebbels
I met my boyfriend of five or six years on diaryland of all places.

God knows this thing is better than a bar.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by shirble
I met my boyfriend of five or six years on diaryland of all places.

God knows this thing is better than a bar.
What's diaryland? Is that like myspace? Or is some kind of chat system?

I chatted to a girl on sharedmessenger (Bebo/myspace type of thing). She hadn't the best grasp of english (She was in Sth Africa) but she was doing her best. I figured 'what's the harm in a little online fling?'. I'm single, she's single, no law against it or anything. Over the course of the next three days (by which I mean 4 emails from her trying to find out everything she could about me in 10 minutes)she asked me some some really meaning-of-life, speed-dating type things.

Then she told me her sob story while I was trying to be my sympathetic self and she was throwing in a "I hope we'll be together forever and ever and ever" for good measure.

That's when I know the girl is on cloud cuckoo land . I was right! Then she drops her bombshell that I know is coming from 100 miles - she has no job/her mum needs an operation, her only prospects were to prostitute herself yadda, yadda could I send money to help her out; well be together always. (I swear there's a handbook out there somewhere for everyone as soon as they become fully paid up members of the loony toons camp).

At this stage I was just trying to back off without aggravating her. I gave her the "I'm in a different country, long-distance relationships never work"-line. That's when she broke up with me because she said I never wanted to be with her and if I did I'd pay for her to take care of her family and come over when she was well. She's the nut case, but I ended up the bad guy (still can't figure that one out). Looks like I dodged a bullet anyway!

Just trying to show another side to the coin rather than a sappy love story ending every time

I never met anyone from online but I did meet someone on a phone line dating thing and we went "out" for about a year. I originally went on this phone chatline when I couldn't afford a computer and I was bored. It was interesting to talk to people whom I never met. I would be on it for hours everyday laughing at dudes because they sounded so sexual, so funny. I never intended to meet anyone, just chat. Then I was having my 20th birthday party and my friend, who also went on this chatline, said that I should invite this guy over for my party. I had about 20 people in my apartment so I felt safe. He came over and we were going "out" for a year or so after that. It turned out that I actually met this guy at a bar only a year before that. (you can drink legally at age 19 here) So the chatline thing had good results for me...even if later on he cheated on me with another girl he met on the chatline....whom I also was friends with in high school and I also ended up living with her later on....long story.

Today, if I wasn't in a committed relationship, I probably would meet someone online. But of course I would follow some regulations I set for myself. Anyway...I say, if you want to go for it, go for it. Get to know the person well enough, meet in a public place for the first few meetings, then see how it goes....

I've used Nerve.com and then along came friendster, then myspace. It was alot easier to meet people through friends. I met my current boyfriend not through a dating service. It had probably been the best relationship I've had since before I started meeting people on the internet.