Sinny's Top 100 Sinnys

→ in
Tools    

Infernal Affairs might well be 101 on the Tatty 100. The Departed is probably kicking around the 2000 mark.
Ha! I'll try and re-watch it soon then. I love The Departed for similar reasons I love the Ocean's trilogy. They're more "movies" than films, if you will. Just great examples of what I think more cinematic "entertainment movies" should be like.

Loving the inclusion of Serenity. Admittedly I'm a huh-oooge lover of most things Joss Whedon and Firefly and Serenity are really high on that list for me. But still, it really is an excellent sci-fi film. Have you seen the show too?
Yeah I love "Firefly". When I first heard the buzz for Serenity back in 2005, I told myself I'll hold off watching it until I saw the series. It took me a while, but I blitz through the show a few weeks ago, then read the tie-in comic Those Left Behind, then the film. Like I said before, it went way beyond my expectations. Excellent sci-fi, indeed. It doesn't look like there's going to be a follow-up though, which is a huge bummer.

This is good stuff so far with lots of classic films, some modern day classics and personal touches. I like the diversity in genres and the balance between old and new(er) films.

These are the ones I'm particularly fond of:

Toy Story trilogy

High and Low
Eyes Wide Shut

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
Miller's Crossing
Into the Wild
Paths of Glory
Casablanca
Manhattan
Chinatown
The Shining
Jaws
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
The Treasure of The Sierra Madre
Once Upon a Time in America
Unforgiven
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Rashomon
The Third Man
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
The Conversation
Brief Encounter
Shaun of the Dead
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Stand By Me
For a Few Dollars More
Kill Bill vol. 1 & 2
12 Angry Men

I'm especially liking the love for Sergio Leone. Is For A Fistful of Dollars also making an appearance later? Or perhaps Kurosawa's original Yojimbo?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Glad you're liking the list so far, Brodinski. And yeah, Leone's one of my favourite directors, but no, A Fistful of Dollars won't be making an appearence later, and neither will Yojimbo. I do love them both though. They were actually the first films I watched from each director, with Fistful inspiring me to watch Yojimbo.

There will be more Kurosawa to appear on the list however, and one more film from Leone (I'm sure you can guess which one).

I'll post some more picks later on today.

40. The Godfather / The Godfather Part II (1972, 1974, Francis Ford Coppola)

39. Fargo (1996, Joel & Ethan Coen)

38. The Long Goodbye (1973, Robert Altman)

37. Fight Club (1999, David Fincher)

36. The Man Who Would Be King (1975, John Huston)

35. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957, David Lean)

34. Memento (2000, Chirstopher Nolan)

33. Seven Samurai (1954, Akira Kurosawa)

32. Psycho (1960, Alfred Hitchcock)

31. Pickpocket (1959, Robert Bresson)

Psycho and The Godfather- Hells Yeah!!! I'd give you double rep if I could

Obviously you love it, but how good do you think Pickpocket is? I only ask as I saw it and didn't understand why it's regarded so highly as a film noir. I watched it, I liked it and I'd have no trouble watching it again. But I was surprised to see that it's rated so highly. Maybe it's just because there aren't many good ones?

Obviously you love it, but how good do you think Pickpocket is? I only ask as I saw it and didn't understand why it's regarded so highly as a film noir. I watched it, I liked it and I'd have no trouble watching it again. But I was surprised to see that it's rated so highly. Maybe it's just because there aren't many good ones?
I reckon there are plenty of good noirs, but I take it you're just not a fan of the genre?

And yeah, I do love Pickpocket, very much so, and not because of any personal reasons or anything, I just agree with all the others who hold it in such high regard, and think it's a beautiful, masterpiece of a film.

It probably has the best use of a voice-over I've ever seen, with main character Michel's narration constantly giving insight to what's going through his mind, when most of the time he hardly says anything. Such a strong and subtle performance from Martin LaSalle, who almost always keeps an expressionless face, conveying so much emotion at the same time. It's a very straight-forward and direct narrative, and the narration helps it move along quickly, as well director Robert Bresson's focus on what's important, never showing us a single thing we don't need to see. With a running time of an hour and fifteen minutes, the film says a lot in such a short space of time, but also keeps many things a mystery. The pickpocketing scenes are done perfectly too. No music or dialougue in any of them, they can be highly intense or just simply impressive. The three-man-job at the train station is my favourite, upon first viewing I was amazed at both the pickpocketing techniques of the characters and the style in which Bresson presented them.

It's an artistic film that isn't artistic for the sake of it. It tells a good story while also examining the morales and reasoning behind becoming a thief. But yeah, that's why I hold it in such high regard. Perhaps give it another watch sometime and see if it differs from your first viewing.

30. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

29. Rear Window (1954, Alfred Hitchcock)

28. Dog Day Afternoon (1975, Sidney Lumet)

27. The Maltese Falcon (1941, John Huston)

26. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971, Robert Altman)

nice formart, havnt seen many of your list tho .
Well, I recommend all of them, of course.

First Psycho and The Godfather, now 2001 and Rear Window! Lots of my favorites here, McGuffins.
A few more of your favourites to come yet, HitchFan.

I didn't like Vertigo at first, but after a second viewing I liked it a lot more, yet still wasn't that into it. Here's what I wrote in the Movie Tab a bit ago...

Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock)

I first watched this years ago when I bought Hitch's boxset, and I wasn't that impressed. I might not have even finished it, to be honest, because I totally forgot what happened at the end. But today I thought I'd finally sit down for a second viewing, seeing how many regard it as one the greatest films of all time and all.

This time round, it certainly left an impression on me, but something about the third act was just off. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a lot to do with the introduction of Judy and how Scottie interacts with her. There's a few things I felt could have been changed slightly to make it more mysterious and suspenseful, but who am I to question The Master?

It's a very good film, beautifully shot and scored, with a pretty good story. Just slightly let down by the last 15 minutes or so.

So unfortunately, Hitch, Vertigo won't be making an appearence. There's more Hitchcock to come though and a few others from your top ten.

Well, after an almost six-month hiatus, here are the next five films...

25. The Dark Knight (2007, Christopher Nolan)

24. The French Connection (1971, William Friedkin)

23. Rushmore (1998, Wes Anderson)

22. Saturday Night & Sunday Morning (1960, Karel Reisz)

21. RAN (1985, Akira Kurosawa)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Crikey! Looking forward to the completion Sinny.