The Movie Clap: Why?

Tools    

Well I was seeing Lady in the Water yesterday, and at the end, everybody applauded the movie. This has happened many times while I was in a theater, and I thought nothing of it. But this time, a friend of mine brought up a good point. Why clap at a movie? Would one applaud a movie theyve never seen before and loved at home? I am not trying to offend anybody that does, but, now that it has been brought to my attention, I want to know what the purpose of the movie clap is. For one, unless you are at a premiere, the makers of the movie will not be there to hear you applaud them for their movie. If one would not clap at a movie at home, why would you do it in a theater? Is it attention? Joining in with others? Letting others know you enjoyed the movie? Well I would like to know why anyone out there has applauded a movie at the end before. If you have, leave a reply and tell me why, I am interested.
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

To me, it's just a natural reaction when I've seen a movie that I think was particularly good. It feels like the right thing to do when I'm especially impressed by what I've just seen. I think it's also about expressing this appreciation to the rest of the audience, and seeing if they feel the same way by joining in.

The only time I've ever heard clapping at a movie was at the title sequence for the 1997 release of Star Wars. Although my friends told me of a time when some young man in the audience of another film (I don't remember what) felt the need to yell 'vagina' at the top of his voice, which is probably equivalent to clapping.

Why do you clap for anything? Appreciation and admiration. A thanks for a job well done. Who cares who else hears it?....If you really enjoy something let your appreciation for it out and clap your heart out I say.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Originally Posted by 7thson
Why do you clap for anything? Appreciation and admiration. A thanks for a job well done. Who cares who else hears it?....If you really enjoy something let your appreciation for it out and clap your heart out I say.
Appreciation to whom? To the other people in the audience?

I always react to movies. When Kong destroyed three dinosaurs I almost shot out of my seat. I slapped hands with everyone around me at premiers of Spider-man and Star Wars. I enjoy the movie and react to it, but I do not understand the clapping. Clapping is between the audience and the people the audience are appreciating. The latter cannot hear applause in the cinema. That's all he's saying.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by NapalmInTheMorning
... Would one applaud a movie theyve never seen before and loved at home? ..
Yes, but only with one hand. [/existential]

I've clapped at home, alone, for a movie. Clapping is not purely a form of communication - it's an expression. It's no different than laughing, even though the people being funny can't hear you... or yelling your head off at a sporting event you're watching on tv.

This One Time At Band Camp...
Originally Posted by 7thson
I think what you said says it all. Great post

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Everyone booed at the Revenge of the Sith Midnight premire at my local theatre.

Suspect's Reviews

www.forumninja.com
I would argue that it's part of the communal experience. Much like the booing I, too, heard at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
I don't clap, I've never heard people clap in a British cinema. It's just something we don't do.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Lost in never never land
I have clapped at a few movies, but not much, and mainly because others were doing it. I really see no purpose in clapping. The way that people show appreciation for the film is by going to it. It probably is something that will never disappear (the clapping) and it is something that will never make sense to me.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Originally Posted by NapalmInTheMorning
Well I was seeing Lady in the Water yesterday, and at the end, everybody applauded the movie. This has happened many times while I was in a theater, and I thought nothing of it. But this time, a friend of mine brought up a good point. Why clap at a movie? Would one applaud a movie theyve never seen before and loved at home? I am not trying to offend anybody that does, but, now that it has been brought to my attention, I want to know what the purpose of the movie clap is. For one, unless you are at a premiere, the makers of the movie will not be there to hear you applaud them for their movie. If one would not clap at a movie at home, why would you do it in a theater? Is it attention? Joining in with others? Letting others know you enjoyed the movie? Well I would like to know why anyone out there has applauded a movie at the end before. If you have, leave a reply and tell me why, I am interested.
I very rarely clap. I think I've only clapped after seeing a movie once this year... and it was after Lady in the Water. I just loved it. It's a good way to show that you liked it, and sometimes it just feels like the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I've clapped at home, alone, for a movie. Clapping is not purely a form of communication - it's an expression. It's no different than laughing, even though the people being funny can't hear you... or yelling your head off at a sporting event you're watching on tv.

I clapped at the end of Lady in the Water too.... i rarely clap (first time in months) but when I do, it's to show appreciation. Most the time, it just seems like the right thing to do... it feels right.

That's strange i tought that claping is only in premiers with the red carpet and stuff i never heard claping in Bilgarian cinema only one time some kids shouted when they saw the apearance of The Rock in the Mummy Returns.Probably if you clap on a movie here someone will throw something at you.

Chaotic Neutral
Interesting question. I think it has something to do with the shared experience of watching and enjoying a movie with all those strangers in the dark, when we normally feel so isolated in the big bad world. The last movie ending I remember witnessing at which the audience clapped was Fahrenheit 9/11.

Thanks for all your answers guys. I can see why people clap for different reasons now, and I also see that only we silly Americans clap at movies Lol well anyway thanks again for all your replies, they helped.

LOL I don't think I've ever heard clapping at a movie. I would probably laugh hard if I saw (heard) someone clapping. It's just odd to me that someone would clap at the movie theatre. I have seen someone slapping their knee while laughing, but clapping at the end? It's just strange to me. I guess it could be that I am used to people clapping at live shows and this tells me that it is for the performer's benefit....but the people in the movies aren't there to accept the applaud. I just find this strange. Maybe it's a Canadian thing...

clapping is done for many reasons...perhaps the movie was very difficult to make, or it was about a controversial topic, maybe it was a cinematic landmark, maybe it was commemmorative to someone, or maybe they just flat out loved it etc etc

for those people that do not understand clapping at the end of the movie, I ask you this...would you ever boo at the end of a movie, or would you understand it? you might've answered yes, and if so...think of clapping as the opposite of booing, you miserable bastards

Horrorphiliac