How to move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen

Tools    

I know that the whole moving to Canada thing is mostly a joke, but to people who actually do it, I think it is abandoning your country in a time of need. Instead of just complaining or leaving the country, people who are against Donald Trump should either volunteer or donate to different foundations and services. (Also Canada is not a perfect utopia either)
If people want to leave they should. Its what brought us here in the first place. A disdain for where they were at. Its hard to be proud of my country right now.

UGH! I gotta get outta this thread.

I remember years ago when you first came here you got upset by peoples lack of anime interest, and made a goodbye thread.
Not true. I was upset by the lack of RESPECT they had for modern Japanese culture. But of course, let idiots be idiots.

Here we are years later and youre still bitching the same tune with different lyrics. Whatever man, nobodys holding you anywhere. I have nothing personally against you, but ....really? Still?!
I am really obsessed by the people here. I think it's my obsession in trying to correct people. I have to just let ignorant people be ignorant and happy: thinking they live in the greatest open culture in the world and that they are liberal and open minded even though they only know the culture of one country.

And of course, nothing I said here was understood by anybody here. In your heads I am just "Immature anime guy who likes things immature people like and cannot understand the greatness of the infinitely superior open culture produced by the American master race so, in immature fashion, gets all upset when people are not as immature and narrow minded as he is." It's like talking to walls: you will not give an inch: "the US is perfect and Americans are perfect and cannot be criticized, they are the master race and they are fully justified in being ignorant xenophobes because the rest of the world is garbage."

By the way, thinking that people who "like anime" are "immature" is in itself deeply xenophobic as well as attacking me personally in the fashion Citizen did. But you would have understood that already so I am just wasting my time.

It's impossible for me to make any point here that people already attack me and attack me using my interest for non-American culture as a weapon. That's in itself shows how deeply xenophobic and ignorant muricans are.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I always feel so ignorant when people in, say, Switzerland, can speak up to 4 languages fluently
Well, Switzerland is divided into four main language zones (German, French, Italian and Romansh) and people mostly speak one or two (when living next to the intersection of these zones) languages plus English (that mostly holds for young people, though). It still makes two or three languages, which is a nice score. Also, there's a huge Serbo-Croatian minority there.

I speak Polish and English and would like to improve my basic level Russian, but since I can't find any need for Russian language in my life, it's pretty hard to get it done. I used to speak German on a pretty basic level, too, but I forgot most of it by now. I still remember some vocabulary and basics of basics. Ich mag Pizza essen und Cola trinken. Ja, ja, das ist gut! Das ist Grossartig, du schwanz.

@OP question in thread's title... Here's how to become a Canadian in 5 easy steps with Mr Minio:

1. Grow an impressive beard and chest hair.
2. Wear lumberjack shirt and carry an axe with yourself all the time.
3. Go to a Canadian forest and live there for a couple of months living solely on maple syrup.
4. Wrestle a bear with your bare hands towards the end of your journey.
5. If you're still alive, you're worthy of becoming a Canadian!

There's an easier option, though:

1. Go to Canada and pretend to be Derek Vinyard's bastard brother.
2. ???
3. PROFIT!

Wow, I'm so xenophobic and racist towards Canadians now! I mean, they don't even have cute Japanese anime girls there. What a lame country!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

for instance how many Blacks and "hispanics" you have in thIs forum? Zero, every American here is white (from the profile pictures thread).
Er, not every American picture in there is white (I'm guessing you're just going off of memory, having half-skimmed it, right?). This isn't a good basis for such a sweeping statement.

I have lived in the US for almost 4 years already.

I found out: It's not an open culture and it does not celebrate diversity. Although they like to think they do.

In fact, it's the closest culture among industrialized countries: Americans only watch American movies, read books written by English language writers, listen to Anglo-American music, etc. And they still claim that "they celebrate diversity and are the world's most diverse country". Well, diversity in guettoes: they have the chinese one, the korean one, the mexican ones, the costa rican ones, many black guettoes, immersed into a Germanic cultural ocean.

I went to a weeding party last week of an American friend of mine. In her weeding party there were 200 white people, 199 Americans and me, 0 non-white people. I don't have a problem with that per see, people are free to do what they want. But, they shouldn't claim to be "celebrating diversity".
Are you basing this off of a few years living in one spot in the Midwest? Because this doesn't sound anything like my experience, and I don't think it sounds like the experience of many other Americans, either.

There are some other basic logic problems with the way you treat "American" culture like a monolith, and ignore that it's actually an amalgamation of many other cultures, but hey, one thing at a time. Best to start with all the small sample size issues.

And I am also upset that people here attack me on a personal level as well. Can you understand that or not?
I can understand why people get upset when they're personally attacked. What I don't get is why you classify so many straightforward comments or disagreements as "personal attacks" to begin with. Disagreements about taste are not attacks.

The definition also appears to shrink dramatically when the situation is reversed. That has left you in the odd, untenable position of suggesting "you like anime" is an attack on your soul, whereas "your entire culture is ignorant and xenophobic" is just a neutral fact.

I know the Canadian national anthem by heart and enjoy singing it.
I just like the song.

I like the "we stand on guard for thee" line.

Wish the USA had more of that sentiment which would make us more dedicated to secure our borders; protect our citizens; reform & improve our immigration systems; reinforce our national security; and support, strengthen and enhance our military.

I know the Canadian national anthem by heart and enjoy singing it.
I just like the song.

I like the "we stand on guard for thee" line.
When I was a kid I thought they were saying "we stand on God for thee." I remember thinking this was a pretty weird, bold way to express their patriotism.

Guap you claimed I insulted you, I did nothing of the sort. You misunderstood my statement, which was factual, not a personal attack as you claim.
Originally Posted by Guaporense
Most countries are more open to foreign culture than the US which is extremely closed to foreign culture...
I thought you said Japan was the most xenophobic culture. And by 'xenophobic' do you because everyone in the world doesn't love magna school girl anime as much as you do?
...By the way, thinking that people who "like anime" are "immature" is in itself deeply xenophobic as well as attacking me personally in the fashion Citizen did. But you would have understood that already so I am just wasting my time.

It's impossible for me to make any point here that people already attack me and attack me using my interest for non-American culture as a weapon. That's in itself shows how deeply xenophobic and ignorant muricans are.
Show me where I said you were immature for liking anime? You misinterpreted what I said. The style/genre of movies you like (and complain that others are 'ignorant xenophobes' because they don't enjoy them like you do) is the style: school girl themed, anime magna movies...I did NOT say the anime that you watch is for school girls, I did NOT say you have the maturity of a school girl.

I was stating the fact that you watch a style/genre of films that most people don't watch AND yet you claim Americans are xenophobes because they don't watch it.

Here I'll prove it, these are the posters from most of the movies you've entered into the HoFs. They are 'school girl themed, magna anime'...that's an apt description, not an insult.

Er, not every American picture in there is white (I'm guessing you're just going off of memory, having half-skimmed it, right?). This isn't a good basis for such a sweeping statement.
Say one active user that is not white.

Are you basing this off of a few years living in one spot in the Midwest? Because this doesn't sound anything like my experience, and I don't think it sounds like the experience of many other Americans, either.
Its is a well established fact that Americans are arrogant and lack interest or information regarding the world as whole. For example, in a conference that I have been in my undergrad an American professor said that the US is a very "insular" country. While a American colleague of mine here in the US said to me: "yes, we hate foreign stuff", and he is a very well educated person as well. Niall Ferguson even said that one of the problems of the US as an world police is the lack of interest Americans have regarding global problems. So: it's a well known fact that Americans are closed to the world. I am surprised you are not familiar with this fact (perhaps you are and just disregard it as plain wrong?).

Or to put it bluntly, in Brazil this year we had a tremendous impeachment process combined with a massive economic depression. Nobidy here talked sbout it: you guys are only interested in things happening inside the borders of your little country.

Also, no American commented on Ashdoc's thread on Midi's currency reform. Americans don't find interesting anything that happens outside their little country.

Now for you to understand how an open culture is first you would need to live in other countries and then have a point of reference, since you only know the US you just cannot claim to know if the US is open or closed relative to other countries. To understand that in an open culture people consume foreign culture on a regular basis. For example, in a Brazilian political blog they made fun of Brazilian politicians by comparing them to some famous manga characters. Americans would never understand jokes like those because they are completely ignorant of anything that is not American. Only the small fraction Americans who happen to be into Japanese pop culture would understand that.

There are some other basic logic problems with the way you treat "American" culture like a monolith, and ignore that it's actually an amalgamation of many other cultures, but hey, one thing at a time. Best to start with all the small sample size issues.
A culture can be richly diverse and still be closed. American culture is pretty rich (it is lacking pretty much in comics and animation among the artistic mediums). Being so rich a culture it means that Americans don't easily feel the need to consume foreign culture. So in fact the richness and diversity of American culture contributes to the fact it's closed.

And yes the US is a tremendously closed. The fact that you are insisting in defending it as "open" without even understanding what open culture just simply shows how arrogant and uncompromising you are.

Say one active user that is not white.
Not read the rest of your post and i wont respond to it anyway because it will cause too much boring drama. To this though there is an American here who you regularly argue with who is not white; you may have even called this person a white hillbilly which is hilarious for several reasons, it's not really my place to point this person out but i think that alone shows how clueless you are.

I would say something normally, but I gotta be zenlike in how I approach things now.

Next up is walking across rice paper.

I can understand why people get upset when they're personally attacked. What I don't get is why you classify so many straightforward comments or disagreements as "personal attacks" to begin with. Disagreements about taste are not attacks.
I never called a disagreement about taste an attack. Can you prove me wrong or not? I don't think so, using cheap internet debating tactics like that will not work.

For instance, Citizen's attack on my person here was:

I thought you said Japan was the most xenophobic culture. And by 'xenophobic' do you because everyone in the world doesn't love magna school girl anime as much as you do?
Notice how he arrogantly claims that he perfectly understands my motivations and then proceeds to claim my motivations are petty and he adds on top of that a bigoted perception of my tastes in Japanese pop culture. Obviously, that's a personal insult and also reveals a little bit of the dark side of Citizen as a person.

And why did he personally attack me? Because I was just giving a lesson of American culture and so said the US is a closed culture. He felt so offended by that that he had to attack me in such a way?

I can quote many more personal attacks on my person if you would like to. I can also quote many examples of bigoted behavior by Americans here. Japanese culture is a very good test to see if a person is a bigot actually: if he/she says something like "I don't like anime, because this stuff is ..." that person is a bigot because he/she is generalizing over an entire artistic medium of a country. It's like saying you dislike American visual culture because American movies feature men in tight costumes and have too many explosions.

The definition also appears to shrink dramatically when the situation is reversed. That has left you in the odd, untenable position of suggesting "you like anime" is an attack on your soul, whereas "your entire culture is ignorant and xenophobic" is just a neutral fact.
I did not said that "your entire culture is ignorant and xenophobic". Don't put words into my mouth. I said that the US is the most closed culture among industrialized countries. Which is a well established fact that any well cultured scholar knows.

And yes, the US is in general an a closed culture. This is a fact and I don't think it's an insult to Americans, it's like saying it's an insult to India to claim they are a poor country. No, it's a fact: India is a very poor country. Or to claim Brazil is violent and poor, yes, Brazil is violent and poor and I don't feel insulted if somebody claims that violent and poor.

Also, before I began interacting with Americans I had a much better image of Americans than I have now. Well, but the fact is that Americans are human and so their beliefs are shaped by geopolitical reality just like other people. Before, about 5-6 years ago I put Americans on a pedestal.

I understand that immature people are not able to differentiate themselves from their country and can easily feel offended, however, I did not expect a person that I regarded as mature, Citizen, to behave in such a manner. And I don't think I should restrict myself in expressing my knowledge just because some people might feel offended.

And by the way, I never felt insulted when somebody said that I "liked anime". In fact, I don't think anybody here ever said that to me. Can you find a post proving your claim? I don't think so. Although I certainly dislike to use the term "like anime" because anime is such a vast and diverse medium that it's impossible for a person to like all genres of anime.

Guap mate, this sites interests is definitely skewed towards American films of the last 20 years, you are not wrong, but i don't see why people like you and Zotis don't just discuss what you want to discuss with the members that are into what you are. I've said a million times despite not knowing as much as you guys i like checking out some Anime; i've even been receptive to the Magical Girl Anime that the rest of the forum seems to hate, then the live action films you like are pretty much The Canon of this site; Tarkovsky and Ozu are overtaking Kurosawa (another of your favourites) as the most talked about foreign directors.

The fact is a large portion of the members here aren't cinephiles or whatever horrendous name you want to give them, they are people with a passing interest in movies looking for a place to discuss a particular genre or even movie; Omni mentioned that he came here to discuss Force Awakens and he stuck here and actually became your closest Anime Dude. This is an English Language forum so you either have to accept that there's going to be a strong group of members here that are only here to watch and discuss American films, or you need to look elsewhere.

So yeah. I like you alot Guap and would like you to stick around i think when you want to you contribute a lot to the forum, but if you are just going to be super bitter and try to bait everybody then i'd say it would be best for you to leave.

Guap, if you leave I will find your anime butt and forcibly bring you back!

Also, I love that new avatar, especially now that I know the meaning behind it.