Best Films of 2012

→ in
Tools    

Couldn't find a definitive list for everyone's 2012 Best (or Worst) Lists

Took this from my thread (UK releases) that have updated through the year:

Top of 2012

The year of high-rises and limos.

The Raid

A completely unsuspecting, hyper-kinetic, blood splattered action film. Pulls every punch to a pumping soundtrack, by a director with an excellent eye for filming fast paced martial arts.

Sightseers

A picture of traditional English values and culture offset against a murderous couple with upbeat intentions. Deliciously black and well written characters in a natural script that continue to put Wheatley at the forefront of British cinema

Berberian Sound Studio

Hard to think this is only Strickland's second feature as it's handled with such brash confidence and so finely crafted. At once a homage to 70s gaillo but also an introspective on the mechanics behind the screen with an avant-garde Lynchian narrative. For a film effectively about recording sounds it leaves an unforgettable experience.

Cabin in the Woods

A keenly observed deconstruction of the genre while serving as one of the most competent and effective horror films since Scream.

Moonrise Kingdom

A typical Wes Anderson film capturing all his charm and quirky sensibilities with a great supporting cast but in particular the young stars carry the film and it's heart.

Holy Motors

Bizarre but brilliant compilation of odd characters and situations brought to life by a magnetic Lavant through non narrative that maintains intrigue throughout. The
doesn't seem to work but it's probably clip of the year. Watch it

Amour

A poignant tale of old age, beautiful but brutal. Haneke removes his clinical distance and instead of audience complicity in violence, he throws you right in with thoroughly empathetic characters and situation then typically crushes you

Cosmopolis

Another limousine based film from the superlative Cronenberg, offering a worryingly accurate meditation on current society with a surprisingly watchable Pattinson.

Looper

The film Inception wishes it was. Smart, well cast and sticks firmly within it's constraints yet being more inventive than most films you'll see this year.

Dredd

The second trapped-in-a-towerblock film. Should have done a lot better; simple, effective and brutal. A lot of fun in a brisk film that works a tight budget and uses 3D to it's advantage

The Master

Hard to penetrate, no discernible narrative yet a film I keep wanting to revisit and dive further into.

The Avengers
The Hobbit
Shame
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Argo
Searching for Sugar Man
21 Jump Street
Beasts of the Southern Wilds
Let's have 'em!

great list, but I still think Looper was overrated...for me: (no order)

1- Django Unchained
2- The Master
3- The Raid: Redemption
4- Killing Them Softly
5- Life Of Pi
6- Amour
7- Zero Dark Thirty
8- Beasts of the Southern Wild
9- The Cabin in the Woods
10- Moonrise Kingdom

A lot of similarities, except Django and Zero haven't been released yet. Saw Killing Them Softly last night, not quite sure yet. Was expected more from it, I think.

Amour is probably one last to sweep up before happy with my list, Ruby Sparks and Bernie being two others.

I'll rate what I've seen, still got absolutely loads to watch but the good ones IMO, the ratings change slightly depending on how I feel as well :P :

Killing Them Softly (literally just watched this)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Skyfall

The Dark Knight Rises

Ted

Brave

The Amazing Spider-Man

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is pretty much a beginners list as there is a ton that I need to see and probably will see in the next 2 months:

1. Flight 9/10
2. The Avengers 8.5/10
3. Skyfall 7/10
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 7/10
5. Ted 7/10
6. Guilt Trip 6.5/10
7. Rise of the Guardians 6.5/10
8. Lincoln 6.5/10
9. Hotel Transylvania 6/10
10. The Vow 5/10

I know I will probably catch some flack for having Lincoln where it is, but it really dragged for me and I honestly thought it would be a lot better than what it was. I think Day-Lewis did his part, but Spielberg and the rest of the cast could have made this much much better.

1. Django Unchained

( This movie, the most bloodiest & amazing film I've seen in a long time, I'm a big Tarantino fan and he surprised me again with this Shoot em up movie)

2. Seven Psychopaths

(I laughed until my sides hurt, This film was true amazing dialogue and a story to make you brighten up your day in a quick swipe)

3. Imaginaerum

(The most mysterious & weirdest film I ever seen, there was no minute i missed where I was asking myself what the hell is going on? I enjoyed it soo much)

4. The Avengers

(One of the best films ever made, being a big Thor fan and seeing Loki plan out the destruction. This movie was very enjoyable & amazing)

5. Batman The Dark Knight Rises

(A great way to end the franchise of Nolan's Batman. This movie sent chills down my spine and gave me the amazing feel of a true Batman film.)

6. Moonrise Kingdom

(One of the weirdest movies I've seen, This movie had moments where I was confused but weirdly entertained. I loved the comedy,adventure and the teenage love.)

7.The Hobbit

(This film was very enjoyable, The fantasy of dwarfs & hobbits fighting the nightmares of the land. It was incredibly made and a movie that you should see twice on the big screen.)

8. Lincoln

(An amazing movie of one our Presidents, Abraham Lincoln. The acting was truly phenomenal and epic! I felt Lincoln's deep thoughts true to my heart and Daniel's performance made me speechless. He captured the character of Honest Abe so greatly. That movie is way more than seeing it twice in the theaters.

9. Life Of Pi

(True storytelling, this film captured my innocence and took it on a joy ride. Pi had amazing imagery, poetic elements, acting and comedy. This film sent my emotions on a roller coaster. Truly amazing.

I really haven't watched a lot that was released in 2012 (I think maybe 25-30 films), but for now I'd go with:

1. Jagten (Vinterberg):

2. Killing Them Softly (Dominik):
+
3. Magic Mike (Soderbergh):
+
4. End of Watch (Ayer):
+
5. The Turn Horse (Tarr):
+

I haven't watched much but I'll go for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and The Avengers, out of what I've seen. I haven't seen any of the superhero movies but still enjoyed The Avengers.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Glad to see some love for The Hobbit. Definitely the most underrated film of the year.

I haven't seen much this year, but I'll give a short list:

1. Looper
2. Brave (also underrated, a great little fable)
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Perks of Being a Wallflower
7. The Avengers
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Here is my full list of films I've seen and rankings. But I guess I'll do some short wrote ups here for my top three. I rated all of them

1. Argo (Affleck)
This was a stunningly good political thriller. It's Afflecks third film (following The Town and Gone Baby Gone. And is his best of the three. It had excellent humor that had me laughing more than any comedy this year. It was filled with thrills, and moments of nerve freezing intensity. It was accurate and shows news reels along side the film, making you feel like you're in the time and place. The supporting actors Goodman, Arkin, and Cranston were perfect for there roles, and pushed the film forward. Holds the screenplay of the year without a doubt, an is my favorite movie.

2. Django Unchained (Tarantino)
Before the first teaser was even out I was pumped. Christoph Waltz stole the show again as he did in Inglorious Basterds. This was as bloody as you'd imagine and held no punches. DiCaprio was a devious villain aided by Samuel L. Jackson, and Foxx was incredibly mature. The score added a silly feeling, it was western mixed with grindhouse. I think it could've been a but cut down, but it truly didn't feel like almost three hours. Took risks, and puelld them off. Another trophy for Tarantino.

3. Moonrise Kingdom (W. Anderson)
This was the only Wes Anderson I've seen to that date, and it was splendid. Had a great use of wilderness and boy scout colors, and was a simple romance of two run away adolescents. It never felt real, but more like a dollhouse that Anderson was sitting and playing with. Willis had a great performance, and the screenplay was fun.

Notable mentions: Prometheus, Jeff who Lives at Home, Rampart

Also some themes I noticed in 2012
-All star casts. Seven Psychopaths, Looper, The Master, Killing Them Softly, and all of my top three drafted absolute all star casts.
-movies that revolve around future sequels. E.G. The Hobbit, Avengers, and Hunger games.
- political balls out comedies like The Dictator and The Campaign
- Documentaries about criminals and justice system. E.g. Central Park Five, West of Memphis, The Invisible War, and The Imposter.

The Movies I Liked:

Haywire
The Grey
Chronicle
Project X
Salmon Fishing In The Yemen
Jeff Who Lives At Home
21 Jump Street
Hunger Games
Titanic 3D
Bernie
The Avengers
American Reunion
Moonrise Kingdom
Prometheus
Magic Mike
Ted
Savages
The Dark Knight Rises
Killer Joe
The Expendables 2
Paranorman
Arbitrage
End Of Watch
Sinister
Seven Psychopaths
Argo
Cloud Atlas
Flight
Lincoln
Life of Pi
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Cabin In The Woods
Zero Dark Thirty

The Movies I Disliked

The Vow
Safe House
A Thousand Words
The Dictator
Men In Black 3
That’s My Boy
The Amazing Spiderman
Total Recall
Looper
The Campaign
Dark Shadows
Taken 2
The Possession

The Movies I Still Want To See:

Act Of Valor
Ruby Sparks
Marley
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
Katy Perry Part Of Me
Celeste And Jesse Forever
Red Hook Summer
The Bourne Legacy
Cosmopolis
2016 Obama's America
Hit And Run
Premium Rush
Robot And Frank
The Master
Dredd
Trouble With The Curve
The Perks With Being A Wallflower
Hotel Transylmania
Here Comes The Boom
The Sessions
Wreck It Ralph
The Man With The Iron Fists
This Must Be The Place
Skyfall
Hitchcock
Killing Them Softly
Hyde Park On Hudson
Stand Up Guys
The Impossible
Jack Reacher
Promised Land

I'm throwing The Impossible in at #3 on my list currently. Now where the hell is access to Silver Linings Playbook, which hasn't been in any theater remotely close?

Also want to see Les Mis, Django, and Argo next.

Update:

1. Flight 9/10
2. The Avengers 8.5/10
3. The Impossible 8/10
4. Silver Linings Playbook 7.5/10
5. Argo 7/10
6. Skyfall 7/10
7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 7/10
8. Ted 7/10
9. Guilt Trip 6.5/10
10. Rise of the Guardians 6.5/10
11. Lincoln 6.5/10
12. Hotel Transylvania 6/10
13. The Vow 5/10

Updated:

Django Unchained

Killing Them Softly

Holy Motors

Looper

Moonrise Kingdom

Skyfall

The Dark Knight Rises

Ted

Flight

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Brave

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Amazing Spider-Man

Then there's:

The Expendables 2

Killer Joe

Project X

Snow White and the Huntsman

I really haven't watched a lot that was released in 2012 (I think maybe 25-30 films), but for now I'd go with:

1. Jagten (Vinterberg):

2. Killing Them Softly (Dominik):
+
3. Magic Mike (Soderbergh):
+
4. End of Watch (Ayer):
+
5. The Turn Horse (Tarr):
+
Nice list Bro. Is that The Hunt at #1? Been looking forward to that, Mikklson looks fantastic.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'm going to put a thread with my personal comments on each film later, but my list is as follows:
1. The Turin Horse
2. Holy Motors
3. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
4. The Deep Blue Sea
5. The Kid with a Bike
6. Oslo, August 31st
7. Margaret
8. Amour
9. In the Family
10. Moonrise Kingdom

2012 was an incredible year for movies. I haven't seen so many great flicks back-to-back-to-back since 2007. My biggest complaint is the overall dark tone of many of the best films. Maybe I'm going through a rough time right now, and maybe a lot of people are going through rough times if Hollywood is throwing money at this stuff. Here's my favorites.

(more write ups tomorrow)

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

"
You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That's the secret of success"

Rarely do I go in for documentaries, so when I do it usually has a lot going for it. Jiro makes all the food in this look incredibly appetizing, while spilling his secrets on cooking techniques as well his life philosophy. A very uplifting, insightful, and dramatic story of men who dedicate their lives to their work, that will inspire your spirit and your appetite.

Argo

"Argo f*ck yourself"

Immediately once stepping (sitting) in the director's chair , Affleck has churned out quality stuff. With Argo he takes his craft to the next level, disposing of the shootouts from his previous works and in their stead, giddy suspense. The story, while not dramatically unconventional, demands a lot more personality than his previous stuff, there'll be no mistaking this one with any amount of political thrillers.

Django Unchained

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

2/3 talk, 1/3 music video. Then there's the coolest movie shootout of all time at the end. Dicaprio and Jackson are in top form here, once they enter the picture it really takes off.

The Dark Knight Rises

"Boy you're in for a show tonight son"

Had TDKR been better than The Godfather, it would have not lived up to my hype. I've never been more excited for a movie. When I saw the teaser with Gordon in the hospital, I assumed this would be one of the best ever. Now I could go on all day about all the stuff that's wrong with Dark Knight Rises (Bane's stupid plan, useless characters like JGL and Miranda Tate, wasting Tom Hardy and Ben Mendhelsohn) , but I've still seen it six times since it came out in the summer, so it must have something going for it.

Undoubtedly Nolan's weakest of his big budget flicks, it's still got plenty of awesome moments and Hans Zimmer.

Skyfall

"What do you call that?"
"A waste of good scotch"

Monsieur Lazhar

"At dawn, the ashes cold, the tree stood still but his heart was charred, scarred by the flames, scarred by grief."

The Master

"If you figure out a way to live without a master, any master, be sure to let the rest of us know, for you would be the first in the history of the world."

Lincoln

"We're whalers Mr. Ashley !"

Zero Dark Thirty

"Can I be honest with you? I am bad f**king news. I'm not your friend. I'm not gonna help you. I'm gonna break you."

The Avengers

"That's my secret Cap. I'm always angry"

My new favorite super-hero flick. The villian isn't nearly as menacing as someone like The Joker, but the screenplay is brilliant. I wasn't even looking forward to this one and not only is it a kick ass movie, it rewards you for watching Marvel's mediocre stuff like Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man 2.

Looper

"I'm from the future. You should go to China."

What starts as a twisty stylish time travel flick, turns into a real deal action flick. The trick Looper is able to pull, is to create two compelling romances and then pit them against each other. The central character Joe (JGL), is introduced in an honest, unflattering light.
Blowing away helpless folks from the future away with a shotgun at point blank range, spending what he can on hookers and drugs, selling out his only friend. The only empathetic thing about Joe is how empty and pathetic his existence is.

Cue "Old Joe" (Bruce Will), more experienced, angrier than his counterpart. He and Jeff Daniels' characters lend the story some much needed humor. Bruce Willis reminds that he is well deserving of serious acting roles and he gives possibly his best performance yet.

This movie resonates beyond my love of movies, for many personal reasons. My favorite in a year full of awesome stuff.

Annoys me that a lot of the Oscar bait-y films i.e. the sort to crop up in theses lists have January release dates here. Then a year later, associate them all as December releases so don't include them.

Also, anyone know how to get the youtube video embedded?