Movie News I've Learned Today.

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Yeah, because he didn't "understand the material". He had the same problem with The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but he took on that role for "the kids".

First feature film shot in Antarctica
Scottish director makes ad-hoc horror on the icy continent

The first fictional feature film has been shot in Antarctica.

Called 'South of Sanity', the horror movie was made by Scottish climbing instructor and documentary maker Kirk Watson while working on the icy continent for the British Antarctic Survey.

The cast was made up of staff and fellow workers at the Survey, while the script was written by Matt Edwards, a doctor who lives near London.

The plot centres around 14 workers at the isolated station, who are picked off one-by-one by a killer.

“We filmed a couple of day scenes on a weekend and the rest was shot in the dark just to make the film darker,” Watson told the BBC.

“So our actors suffered a bit in the cold as we had people sitting outside for ages, or playing dead people lying in the snow. It became a bit tricky with the 'dead people' as they shivered, so they were carefully edited to get rid of the movement.”

The crew had to improvise in the freezing conditions, with scriptwriter Edwards also working as the film's make-up artist, using a kid's face-painting kit and a special recipe of red food colouring, flour and syrup to make fake blood.

“We had several actors with mild hypothermia during the filming. The good thing was they had lived there for a year, so were pretty used to it,” added Watson.

The film, an 18 certificate which has picked up a marketing deal from a US company, will premiere on October 31 in Aviemore, Scotland.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/first-fea...ntarctica.html

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Ok I may be more than 40 years behind the times but the movie news I just learned today is that Goldie Hawn actually won an Oscar back in 1970 for Best Supporting Acress in the film Cactus Flower. Despite being a fan of hers somehow I had absolutely no idea that she had ever won, or even been nominated, for an Academy Award. Was hugely surprised to learn that

Steven Spielberg rules out any more action movies
Legendary director's announcement means no more Indiana Jones.

Steven Spielberg has dashed any hopes of another ‘Indiana Jones’ flick by saying he will never make another action movie.

The two-time Oscar winner made the disappointing revelation in a candid interview on American TV show ‘60 Minutes’.

The acclaimed filmmaker told ‘60 Minutes’ host Lindsay Stahl that he was more enthused about making films like his forthcoming Abraham Lincoln feature, ‘Lincoln’, than revisiting his ‘Indiana Jones’ and ‘Jaws’ days.

“I knew I could do the action in my sleep at this point in my career,” he said. “In my life, the action doesn't hold any - it doesn't attract me anymore.”

Spielberg also admitted that despite his five decades-worth of success in the movie business he still gets nervous when directing a film. He also revealed that he was bullied as a child and that ‘E.T.’ was a direct consequence of his parents’ divorce. He admitted that recent movies were driven by his reconciliation with his father.

Confronting the notion of nerves, he revealed: “It's not really fear. It's just much more of an anticipation of the unknown. And you know, the unknown could be food poisoning. It's just the kind of level of anxiety not being able to write my life as well as I can write my movies.”

And he didn’t hold back when talking about his childhood, admitting that he was subjected to anti-Semitic bullies who would chant ‘The Spielbergs are dirty Jews’ in his neighbourhood. He added that discovering filmmaking was a way of accepting who he was.

He finally talked about his eagerly anticipated ‘Lincoln’ biopic, which stars Daniel Day-Lewis as the titular 16th American president. He disclosed that Lincoln was “… the father of the nation in need of repair. And in a sense, the movies I've made recently have reflected the positive relationships that my dad and I have enjoyed for 20, 25 years.”
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/steven-sp...on-movies.html

I have to say that if The Dark Knight didn't sweep any awards, then The Dark Knight Rises definitely won't. I know I'll probably be ostricized for saying what I"m about to say, but TDKR wasn't great. I would put it on par with Batman Begins but overall I felt it was a huge step backwards in quality for the series.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35663

Jamie Foxx... in talks to star as the lead villain Electro, in The Amazing Spider man 2...

... for a movie that's been described as worthy of 70-75%, lacking Raimi's imagination, has the same plot as the 2002 movie with a handful of new ideas and has the dramatic presence of Emmerich's Godzilla... I'm surprised they're making the sequel at all.

Forget what they said, look at how much money it made. That's why there's going to be a sequel. It's also why it's more likely to have stars attatched.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I just learned yesterday that John Cazale a.k.a Fredo Corleone died in 1978 not long after finishing his scenes for The Deer Hunter.

The Last Exorcism (2010)...

... is set to get a sequel next year...

... kinda puts a dampener on the title really...

I learn tidbits everyday. Many films I hadn't heard of or considered. For intense today I saw some films on crickets 100list I'd never known of prior, like an older drama with Michael Keaton. I loved him in the comedy Dream Team way back.

Not everyone knows Michael Keaton changed his name from Michael Douglas for obvious reasons.

Mortal Kombat is set to be rebooted. No details yet though apart from a Supermarket worker finds out he has strange powers...