Stalker

→ in
Tools    

It's not easy to digest this movie if you haven't seen other Tarkovsky works prior to Stalker. It's possibly his most personal movie. You got most of the plot right, but you shouldn't take a necessarilly literal interpretation of it. It's an allegory, symbolic.

Here's an excerpt of my review where I express my, also uncertain, reading of the movie:

"Not easy to fully dissect what a first view unravels but I'll say it seemed to me an essay/allegory about faith, about the eternal search for the Truth and about the way how different thought paradigms deal with the task. I liked the way how this last point was worked out. 3 characters: "Stalker", the one who guides the other 2 through "The Zone" seems to represent the religious or moral paradigm, the "Writer", the Art paradigm and the "Professor" represents Science. Each character, ie, each paradigm has it's own point of view and it's own reason to search for the Truth, the way how their interaction was developed seemed well judged and congruent to me. At the edge of the room where the Truth is to be finaly consumated, the 3 paradigms start fighting between each other and with their own reasons, naturally no one goes into the room because the Truth can only be aimed at from a distance, we still cannot touch it."

I must say this movie is highly fascinating to me, but I understand why you find it cold and depressing. Tarkovsky wasn't concerned about making acessible or pleasing movies, he is highly intellectual, that's part of the reason why his Cinema is so singular.
I wouldn't call Tarkovsky's films highly intellectual. It's the exact opposite. It's all about intuition. Tarkovsky said himself that art and science are very separate things (in this movie he makes it explicit by making two characters representing each side) and he considered his work to be purely based on intuition and on feeling.

HIs cinema is so singular in the sense that he is the only (major one at least) art filmmaker that represents classical art applied to cinema. Nothing else in terms of movies feels more like 18th-19th century classical and Romantic music or feels like a Russian novel from the 19th century than Tarkovsky's films.

His films feel inaccessible because they are Russian, very, very, very Russian. It's a very different flavor from the American flavor of most movies that we all watch, but it's not something that is inacessible for the Russian public: in 1979, Stalker sold 4.3 million tickets in the USSR. That's 6 times more than Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky sold in 1986.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I always found it ironic that one of most artistically personal films came out of one of the most oppressive and expurgated societies.

I think it's about hope and innocence.Stalker seems to be the most naive and idiotic person in the film yet he seems the happiest because he believes in something,even if it sounds ludicrous.The ability to believe and be naive makes him happier.This is what Writer (art) and Profesor (science) don't have. The film is depressing because hope and believing is not valued in the film.
Anyway,I think this quote sums up the movie perfectly:

Stalker: Let everything that's been planned come true. Let them believe. And let them have a laugh at their passions. Because what they call passion actually is not some emotional energy, but just the friction between their souls and the outside world. And most important, let them believe in themselves. Let them be helpless like children, because weakness is a great thing, and strength is nothing. When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I always found it ironic that one of most artistically personal films came out of one of the most oppressive and expurgated societies.
I don't think it's ironic, haven't you read Harry Lime's signature/seen The Third Man?

Been thinking about this alot since i just watched it and i read this whole thread. I think this comment from Mark F has definitely stuck out to me the most since i think i have ideas not mentioned in this thread that may be way off:

You get to derive what you want from Stalker because it and Tarkovsky don't make it clear what its about.
Also this from Guap (particularly the bold part) if Tarkovsky did say it would be very interesting in regards to what i've been thinking about:

Tarkovsky was very religious and his films burst with religious faith and he said that his films were not exercises of reason instead it was all intuition so that one shouldn't try to think to hard about what he "meant" because what he meant wasn't something that his mind rationally defined as a clear object. It's all about your own impression of it, how it's expression affects you. It's very, very subjective.
I watched it on my laptop and as i said i had trouble focusing at times due to being unused to some of the pacing, so i'm going to order it tomorrow and watch it knowing what to expect then make a longer post in this thread about what i've been thinking about and whether i still agree with myself haha.