Movies that you generally hated but others believe they are great

Tools    

Originally Posted by LTwedge
I hated The House of 1000 Corpses but everybody else loved it. I don't know...I just didn't think it was THAT scary.
Well, I didn't see a single person here that liked it...you're in your type of company.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The Ring.

Hated it. Hated that everyone else in the theater seemed to love it and I was the odd one out. Hated that people were talking all the way through it which made me zone out of the movie. Hated that it had been sooooo hyped to me and told to me that it was sooo scary that it probably made me have too high of expectations. Rented it on DVD and felt the same. It just didnt do a thing for me. Decided to watch Ringu. Same thing. They werent horrible and both were well filmed. But I just don't get or like the flick.

So many movies have been wrecked for me through holding too high of expectations.

I hope that this thread generates some good ideas, I don't want bickering about if you hate a certain film please remember that everyone has their own opinion. Being said taking a stab at someones opinion doesn't help the other person's view of a film. Basically I wanted to see why some films are so well liked whereas some persons can feel that it was not worth viewing. Some films are made out to be such great accomplishments ; well you get my point. My friends and I have such different tastes some really liked the films which are given such push at the premier and others are left to find their own audiences, I wanted to find films that are diamonds in the rough ; films you never heard off or really never got the attention they deserved.
Thanks for all your opinions.

--------------
Lisa.

Originally Posted by naimas
The Ring.

Hated it. Hated that everyone else in the theater seemed to love it and I was the odd one out. Hated that people were talking all the way through it which made me zone out of the movie. Hated that it had been sooooo hyped to me and told to me that it was sooo scary that it probably made me have too high of expectations. Rented it on DVD and felt the same. It just didnt do a thing for me. Decided to watch Ringu. Same thing. They werent horrible and both were well filmed. But I just don't get or like the flick.

The Ring yup I can relate to this kind of drama a movie that got it's hype before it sucked.

Mr. Slay, Can you suck my big toe?

I hate a lot of movies but most of the intellectual people here will agree.
Hated KillBill and Vol 2
Disliked Troy a lot
Hated Independence Day
Hated Godzilla the remake
Disliked the fifth Rocky a lot
Hated Terminator 3
Disliked the third Godfather (especially the end)
Didn't think the Godfather Part II was a great sequal (Scarface is way better)
Hated everything Ben Stiller ever did
Disliked Bruce Almighty and the three before it he did
Disliked the third Alien and hated the fourth
Hated the Dawn of the Dead remake
Hated the Phantom menace
Disliked starwars ep. 2 (both too polished and cartooney)
Hated When Mars attacks
Did not think the original Jaws deserved so much praise
Disliked Armageddon a lot
Loved The Money pit even though everyone said it was horrible and Shelly Long should never act again.
Disliked the treatment of the last two Matrixes
That's all the movies I can think of that I hate that were really to pretty successful and popular.

I don't understand how fans of the original Star Wars could like and even praise the prequels. They are so bad it actually hurt to watch them.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Krackalackin
I hate a lot of movies but most of the intellectual people here will agree.
Hated KillBill and Vol 2
Disliked Troy a lot
Hated Independence Day
Hated Godzilla the remake
Disliked the fifth Rocky a lot
Hated Terminator 3
Disliked the third Godfather (especially the end)
Didn't think the Godfather Part II was a great sequal (Scarface is way better)
Hated everything Ben Stiller ever did
Disliked Bruce Almighty and the three before it he did
Disliked the third Alien and hated the fourth
Hated the Dawn of the Dead remake
Hated the Phantom menace
Disliked starwars ep. 2 (both too polished and cartooney)
Hated When Mars attacks
Did not think the original Jaws deserved so much praise
Disliked Armageddon a lot
Loved The Money pit even though everyone said it was horrible and Shelly Long should never act again.
Disliked the treatment of the last two Matrixes
That's all the movies I can think of that I hate that were really to pretty successful and popular.
Man, you must hate movies.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

And this is my BOOMstick!
Yeah no kidding, most of those movies are pretty good.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Well, I didn't see a single person here that liked it...you're in your type of company.

Mr.Slayer, that's a much prettier lady you have now

Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies
Mr.Slayer, that's a much prettier lady you have now
Yes she is, ain't she?

I have to say Cast Away. I like Tom Hanks I just didn't like this movie.

Moulin Rouge-ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

There's no originality in it. The camera can't stay on one thing for more then 2 to 3 seconds. and it's all a bunch of fluff nonesense. I can't stand it.

Titanic
West Side Story
Kill Bill
Terminator 3
Bowling for Columbine

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
any Elvis Presley movie…
Me also although this is an interesting picture

Originally Posted by Maniac
There's no originality in it.
Think what you want, but to say Moulin Rouge isn't original is crazy. It may have used contemporary music, but there isn't another movie out there like it.

Think what you want, but to say Moulin Rouge isn't original is crazy. It may have used contemporary music, but there isn't another movie out there like it.
I agree.

Yes, but then again you can say that about any film can't you?

You could also say B-movies all had originality in them.

We can all debate that issue to any extent. But as far as an original musical. I'll grant you that. A musical without original song and a story line, directing, and acting fit for a 5 year old, to me it was still crap.

But you can still think whatever you like about it.

If you watch it with the lights out i'd be afraid you'd get a seizure. Or at least a sever head-ache.

Talk about your typical MTV film.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I love movies, I still have high expectations. Moulin Rouge did not meet the bar in the slightest bit.

No. Not really.

No. Not really.
Well let's debate this a little bit because i think this would be interesting.

Hunting Humans-Independant film, done horribly. But lets look at it's "originality"...it has a serial killer who repeats what he says for 2 hours. That's original, but it's still nothing good and it's horribly done.

Nightstalker-anouther independant film about the serial killer Richard Ramirez. Horrible movie, but it's original too. It does the same camera "tricks" moulin rouge did. Just this time with a spaztic demon. Spaztic demons and spaztic direction seem to go hand and hand with one anouther. A "original" twist.

Terminator 3-Ahhnold's got to save John Conner again! Only this time the terminator is a chick. That's original right there. But still a horrid movie that bored me to death.

West Side Story-Let's bring in a bunch of dancing singing thugs and make it romeo and juliet only ganster style. How original is that. but i still can't get over the fact the movie bored me to no end.

Anything can be original. But the point is wether that makes it good or not.

Okay, let's see if we're clear here. First you say:
Moulin Rouge...There's no originality in it.
As if that is one of the reasons it isn't any good.

Then you say:
Which side of the fence are you actually standing on? That all films are original or that if they're not; they're not any good? I'm confused.

My argument is that it is indeed original, and that some films are not. Say, for example, Friday the 13th compared to all of it's sequals. The first one was an original concept, but the sequals retreaded the same story (maybe not all of them) and passed them off as new. Pulp Fiction was original (even though it burrowed styles), but then a year later Two Days in the Valley came out not only copying its style from the from the former, but copying much of its storyline from other movies. The whole mess of Martian invading to steal all the white women movies from the 50's; not too original. What about remakes? They butcher the story lines, but are still the same movies; not original. Dances with Wolves; original, The Last Samurai; same movie with a different setting; not original.

There is not another movie out there that looks, feels, tells the story the same way, or has the same manic energy as Moulin Rouge; original. You may not like it, that's cool, but that wasn't my argument. It doesn't appear that you have an argument since you've mistakenly played both sides against eachother.