Classics that you feel compelled to make sure your kids see.

Tools    

Account terminated on request
Not necessarily classics.

And by see, I mean "see with them at home so you can explain the importance and history and what the director did or didn't do, etc."

My list is somewhat short. Now that they're old enough for most stuff, over the last few years I found a few movies important (and they're not necessarily great films per se, but worthy of great conversation.)

Not in order of importance:

The Godfather. (I'm holding off on 2 and 3 for now. I loved 2, but there are other movies on the docket).

Patton. (Actually, surprisingly my then-13 year old loved it!)

It's a Wonderful Life.

Soon: Dr. Strangelove.

Taking Chance (with Kevin Bacon). Actually, this isn't a classic, but it's a worthy mention IMO----I let them see this many years ago with me when they were very young as an experiment: And at ~5 and 7 they asked me their little boy linear questions and were engaged in the entire thing asking the meaning of respect.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Soon: Lincoln.

(more)
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Oh, if only I could let them see one of my favorite cult-classics: Fight Club. Few more years down the road I suspect.

Doesn't it have to be a natural process? He/she chooses where his/her movie preferences lie? The only thing I will try is get them into subtitles as early as I can, so that they don't stay closed only English movies.

The only thing non-negotiable in my house will be United. Otherwise, the hammer will fall.

Doesn't it have to be a natural process? He/she chooses where his/her movie preferences lie? The only thing I will try is get them into subtitles as early as I can, so that they don't stay closed only English movies.

The only thing non-negotiable in my house will be United. Otherwise, the hammer will fall.
"Non-negotiable"?

Well of course they'll have movie preferences. But IMO as a parent, it's important to at least try to get them to see movies (and movie genres) that they would otherwise never see.

For instance, I was blown away by my then-13 year old's fascination with Patton.

If left to their own devices, their world would consist of Marvel and very little else.

"Non-negotiable"?

Yes. Support anyone else and go to a foster home. There is absolutely no compromise on this till he/she is under my roof.

United... Kids... Wife... In that order!

2001, surely.