Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Good movie from Jordan (I think). Quite a bit lost in translation as per usual. Lead actress very good.

Realized halfway through that I had seen this movie before. (Why do I keep doing this to myself?) It’s a very good movie. Two leads are very good, especially Carrie Coon.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=44991396

Baby Reindeer - (2024)

I know, I know - not a movie, but I rarely sneak anything in here that's not a movie. I watched all of Baby Reindeer and it was pretty compulsive viewing. Stalkers can be pretty scary, but I found that Donny Dunn (Richard Gadd) did tend to make his troubles worse by behaving in a manner as erratic as his bunny boiler of a fanatic Martha (Jessica Gunning). To be fair, he did have issues more complex than you'd ever guess when the series starts, and this is one piece of 'drama-based-on-real-life' that adds complexity to both sides of the equation. Both funny and darkly dramatic, I found it refreshingly real-feeling and endlessly surprising - it's full of those "Oh...NO!" moments. If you're ever flicking through stuff on Netflix, unsure of what to watch next, give it a go.

8/10
I been on the fence about watching this, worrying it’s a little too grim and true crime-y but your review is convincing me to give it a shot.

5th Rewatch...An extremely clever screenplay, kinetic direction, an Oscar-worthy music score, and chemistry between the stars that rivals Bogey and Ingrid Bergman combine to make perfect escapist entertainment. This slick and sexy story of two professional contract killers who are married to each other and have no idea they are in the same business provides breezy, if improbable, entertainment. I love that the film opens with them in couples therapy and they're unsure whether they've been married five years or six. This is the film that was the impetus for the media circus known as "Brangelina." The first time I've seen two actors fall in love with each other onscreen. Never tire of this movie.

5th Rewatch...An extremely clever screenplay, kinetic direction, an Oscar-worthy music score, and chemistry between the stars that rivals Bogey and Ingrid Bergman combine to make perfect escapist entertainment. This slick and sexy story of two professional contract killers who are married to each other and have no idea they are in the same business provides breezy, if improbable, entertainment. I love that the film opens with them in couples therapy and they're unsure whether they've been married five years or six. This is the film that was the impetus for the media circus known as "Brangelina." The first time I've seen two actors fall in love with each other onscreen. Never tire of this movie.
I have never seen this movie.

Tótem

A darling of the festival circuit, Lila Avilés' Tótem is now available for streaming on the Criterion Channel.
If you now have, or have ever had, loved ones at home facing a life-threatening medical condition, this movie could be pretty devastating.
With that caveat aside, there's a lot here to enjoy, as this is one of those movies that is mostly told through a child's eyes and has a way of planting a lot of images into your head.
This movie was short-listed for Best International Film at this year's Oscars, and while it didn't get nominated, it would have been a very worthy nominee.

Tótem

A darling of the festival circuit, Lila Avilés' Tótem is now available for streaming on the Criterion Channel.
If you now have, or have ever had, loved ones at home facing a life-threatening medical condition, this movie could be pretty devastating.
With that caveat aside, there's a lot here to enjoy, as this is one of those movies that is mostly told through a child's eyes and has a way of planting a lot of images into your head.
This movie was short-listed for Best International Film at this year's Oscars, and while it didn't get nominated, it would have been a very worthy nominee.
Amazon Prime has it.

Amazon Prime has it.
Yes, you can buy or rent it from Prime Video, but it isn't included with your subscription

1st Rewatch...Alex Winter, who played Bill in the Bill & Ted franchise, directed this eye-opening and often moving look at child stars, their motivations, their fears, and struggles navigating in adult Hollywood. There are interviews with a a young Disney channel star who got his first job at age 11 and was dead at the age of 20 and Todd Bridges, who wanted to be in the business and people like Milla Jovovich, Henry Thomas, and Wil Wheaton, who were forced into it, and Mara Wilson, who wasn't forced into it, but grew to hate it. Then there's Evan Rachel Wood, was shoved into the business but learned to love it, but the personal hell that Bridges went through is probably the highlight of the film. We also meet two wanna be child stars named Marc Slater and Demi Singleton. Demi Seems to want stardom more than anything but Marc seems to be going through the motions to please his mother. Winters scores a bullseye here.

April 23, 2024

THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE (Guy Ritchie / 2024)

A pretty good, pretty decent action flick from Guy Ritchie, who to be perfectly honest I've never been a die-hard fan of, but whose irreverently humorous sensibility is very distinctive and which I do have a modicum of respect for. Anyway, this one's an apparently heavily fictionalized version of Operation Postmaster, a covert spy mission which helped to turn the tide for Britain against the Nazis in World War II. To be perfectly honest, I don't really have much to say about this one. I can say I found it reasonably entertaining. Also, fans of world history and entertainment trivia will be very interested to know that Operation Postmaster was the real-life inspiration for the James Bond novels and subsequent series of films. No surprise there, seeing as how writer Ian Fleming was part of the inner circle, back when he was working for the British Naval Intelligence Division during the war!

In short, not great, but still pretty good...

Meanwhile on the home video front...

Shane (George Stevens / 1953)
The Ballad of Little Jo (Maggie Greenwald / 1993)

Two more Westerns, coincidentally forty years apart...

First up, Shane, the classic from director George Stevens, starring Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur and Van Heflin. I had borrowed this on DVD before, but now I own the Blu-ray, and it is definitely one of the all-time greats. The aspect of the story which really impressed me was the fact that the character Shane is truly a mystery. We don't really know who is, or where he came from. We know he's quick with a gun, we sense a dark past, and we sense that he's trying to turn over a new leaf by working with the Starrett family. We sense that he doesn't want to get involved in any trouble, but trouble arrives anyway in the form of belligerent cattle baron Rufus Ryker (Emile Meyer), his henchmen, and the later arrival of Shane's opposite number, the sinister Jack Wilson (Jack Palance), after which he's forced to rely on the gunslinging talents which he had attempted to forsake. In a way, Alan Ladd's Shane kind of reminds me of the "Superman speech" made by David Carradine as the title character in Kill Bill: Volume 2 (2004). Shane is a former killer, a kind of Western Übermensch, who in working for the Starretts is attempting to be just another guy, a working man. Jack Palance's Wilson, on the other hand, has no such illusions, and in fact harbors a bemused supervillain-like contempt for most of the people around him. One gets the feeling that when Ryker enlists Wilson as a show of force against Van Heflin's Joe Starrett and his fellow homesteaders - whom he refers to as "squatters" - he really has no understanding of just what sort of force he is unleashing. Inevitably, things come to a head and Shane must face down Wilson as well as Ryker and his men.

Next, we have a wonderful little film called The Ballad of Little Jo. I had heard of this movie for a while now, and I decided to make a blind purchase of the Kino Lorber Blu-ray edition. And it really is a very good film, very moving and very elegiac. It's based on an incredible true story which took place in the late 19th century. It deals with Josephine Monaghan (Suzy Amis), a young woman from somewhere in the Eastern U.S. who has an affair with her family's portrait photographer and has a child out of wedlock. Banished by her family in disgrace (the child having been adopted by her sister), she heads out West and finds that a young woman living alone there has precious few options. After narrowly escaping an attempted rape, Josephine decides to cut her hair, scar her face with a razor, and attempt to pass herself off as a man named "Jo," eventually finding work as a shepherd. She eventually falls in love with a Chinese laborer nicknamed "Tinman" (David Chung) who very quickly figures out that "Mr. Jo" is no Mister. Suzy Amis is wonderful in the lead role, and the rest of the cast is equally distinguished. Ian McKellen plays a very volatile and dangerous man named Percy who befriends Jo. Bo Hopkins plays Frank Badger, a none-too-bright but gregarious man who gives Jo the shepherding job. And very early on, the late great René Auberjonois makes an appearance as a slimy traveling salesman named Hollander. Also, there is a beautiful, folky musical score by David Mansfield, mainly centered on acoustic guitar. I was deeply moved by this movie and I love it a great deal. I would heartily recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17682702

Let's Scare Jessica to Death - (1971)

Here's one I just stumbled upon - a 1971 horror film with a fantastically spooky atmosphere that has an interesting "is she just imagining all of this, or is it real?" premise. Jessica (Zohra Lampert) has recently spent time in an institution because of her nerves, and we immediately begin to distrust what she sees, mainly because she distrusts herself. Was that person in the graveyard real? Is she just hearing that whispering in her head? When an antiques dealer tells her about a bride who drowned and whose body went missing at the house she's just moved into with her husband Duncan (Barton Heyman) and friend Woody (Kevin O'Connor), Jessica starts to wonder if the person they discovered living there (and who they decide to let stay with them) is perhaps a vampire - especially considering she looks identical to a person in an old, old photograph they discover. This film gets you scared about what might be behind every closed door, or around every corner - and the 3rd act is a doozy. There are moments that should probably be iconic, but as it is, I'd never heard of Let's Scare Jessica to Death before. There's a lot to unpack for those who like to look into their films in depth - and for fans I'd highly recommend it. Shoddy film poster if you ask me.

8/10

By https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13833688/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=72209554

The Whale - (2022)

Second watch - really moving. I can't say that Brendan Fraser didn't deserve his Oscar - but that role had "Oscar please" written all over it. I'm just glad he played it, because I can't imagine many others doing it the justice he did. Fraser has a certain way of earning deep sympathy, despite exasperating us.

8/10

By Poster published and distributed by Island Alive in association with New Cinema. Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=86342540

Koyaanisqatsi - (1982)

A real snapshot of the entire world and humanity circa 1976 to 1981, with time lapse and slow motion shots of the Earth and humanity - nature and technology - to the music of Philip Glass. Captivating and spectacular. Reviewed here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

By National Oleksandr Dovzhenko Film Centre Archives [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68937596

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors - (1965)

In the Carpathian mountains a tragic romance becomes legend for the Hutsul people. Beautifully photographed with original cinematography, and full of all the cultural oddities these mountain people gloriously display. Reviewed here, in my watchlist thread.

9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Cumbersome title, but an enjoyable movie. Jodie Comer very good.

Needed something mindless after a stressful day. Amusing & nicely done rom-com. I really like Sydney Sweeney.