Mr Minio's Top 300 (2021 ed.)

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Apologies for replying 2 years late.
Well, it certainly isn't a sin on MoFo! And some people have been known to resurrect threads as old as 10 years and more, which made me give them the Golden Shovel Award! Good times.

Sansho was one of my favorites which I appreciated even more upon rewatch, especially after going through the classics and New Waves etc.. Ugetsu, Oharu and Story of Last Chrysanthemums aren't even close to it, and these are also masterpieces which rival the bests films made by many classical japanese directors.
Yep, I was actually destroyed by Sansho on my second watch. Recently I've rewatched Last Chrysanthemums and it made a deep impression on me, too. For one, the movie doesn't use any music and tries to distance you from the characters as much as it gets and it still managed to move me. Ugetsu might be my least favorite of the three. It's a perfect movie. But there's something missing there, and I can't even pinpoint what that is.

Curious to know your opinion on Naruse. I consider him my favorite Japanese director, and his extensive body of work is rather remarkable.
Nikio Naruse is fiendishly consistent, socially conscious, and subtlety masterful. I've seen 50 of his films, and I've actually started by going chronologically from the very beginning all the way up to 1943. I lost the zeal after that and started watching the rest of his work in a semi-random order. What strikes me is how consistently good Naruse is. Sure, he has good movies, and he has masterworks, but he never fluctuates too much. For one, he never made a movie I abhorred. He's not my favorite but I think he's largely underappreciated and undermentioned in the West. Half of the people who say a particular director was influenced by Ozu actually mean Naruse. For one, Koreeda is much more a Naruse follower than an Ozu acolyte.

As we grow older, we start appreciating works with more grace, refinement, quietness, delicacy, finesse and subtlety. There are some who return to more kitschy bombastic camp but I rather sip fine wine than drown in beer.
I mean, I actually started with watching ONLY the stuff that fits your description. Then, I branched off into watching all kinds of stuff, including the kitschy and bombastic camp. I think it's only fair if a cinephile gives his unadulterated attention to all kinds of cinema: refined, artistic, camp, and one straight out of the gutter. Another point is that a movie can be more than one of these at the same time. But my point is if you only watch "entertainment" you're just a film buff. You're not serious about film. But if you only watch "art" you're just an art film buff. You're TOO serious about film. I think that to be a cinephile you have to watch and love both.

Oh, and I still have yet to get around to Yoji Yamada.
Wow, you're sure taking your time!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I already know you’re not much of a fan in Romanian New Wave, but there were a few I noticed that were either absent, or not well represented: Dogme 95 and Taiwanese new Wave.
I don't know, I love some Dogme 95 films but I guess I just don't love them enough. Taiwanese New Wave is well-represented by Edward Yang, I think. I'm not a huge Hou Hsiao-Hsien fan.

Were there any particular reason for these absences? Or is it merely a case of not having enough room in your top 300 for them?
Listen, even if I made it 500, I still wouldn't have enough room, so I figured I'll try to be a little bit more stringent and make it 300 so that I actually have to THINK what to include.

Going through this and looking up films to watch from this list, I realized you have Jun Ichikawa twice.
At #200 with Tony Takitani, and #48 with Dying at a Hospital. Looks like the only director to appear twice, as far as I can tell, which I know you were trying to avoid.
D'oh! It indeed is an error, as I meant this to be a one-per-director list! Thanks for pointing that out. Either way, there's a newer list than the one I posted here, but... it's already out of date, too! Meaning, it's missing some of the recent favorites.

The trick is not minding
D'oh! It indeed is an error, as I meant this to be a one-per-director list! Thanks for pointing that out. Either way, there's a newer list than the one I posted here, but... it's already out of date, too! Meaning, it's missing some of the recent favorites.
Figure it was a mistake, but not a big deal realy.
Ooh. A new list! Seriously, I like your lists. I’m still digging through this one though!

A new list! Seriously, I like your lists. I’m still digging through this one though!
Enjoy! I'd guess that the two have a big intersection, just like my current one would. I'd basically add some new masterpieces and therefore would be forced to remove some films at the bottom.

The trick is not minding
Enjoy! I'd guess that the two have a big intersection, just like my current one would. I'd basically add some new masterpieces and therefore would be forced to remove some films at the bottom.
Or you could just expand it into a top 500.

That’s an idea I may swipe from you…..once I get to that point where I’ve seen enough to warrant it, I could make a list of 500 directors and their best films.
That’s at least another decade away I fear, however.

Or you could just expand it into a top 500.

That’s an idea I may swipe from you…..once I get to that point where I’ve seen enough to warrant it, I could make a list of 500 directors and their best films.
That’s at least another decade away I fear, however.
Well, I could make a list of 1000 of them. But not all directors on the list would be masters. So, I think it's best you watch all Mizoguchi films than watch 30-something movies from different middling directors.

The trick is not minding
Watched 0. Heard of only 2 of them.

Try some comedy or action. Bruce Lee? Martin Lawrence?
Minio has a more….refined….taste when it comes to cinema. He explores, as should anyone serious about cinema, films beyond the Martin Lawrence and the Bruce Lee and digs up rather obscure films.

Watched 0. Heard of only 2 of them.
Are you both blind and hard of hearing or what?

Try some comedy or action.
A comédia de Deus and Once a Thief are already on the list (and if not, they should be), so thanks but no thanks.

Not bad, but I prefer any of the Brucesploitation films. Any gourmet knows that a good fake is better than the real thing.

I was better off not knowing who that is.

Minio has a more….refined….taste when it comes to cinema.
It's hard not to have a more refined taste than what he proposes.

Wow I am less sophisticated then I thought.

Can you be a film buff for only one genre?

You can be well-educated in one genre, but a film buff in one genre seems counterproductive.

The trick is not minding
Saying the word "counterproductive" seems "counterproductive" as well.
This post is counterproductive

In all seriousness, excuse Minio’s manner. He’s a tad rough around the edges. He take his knowledge of cinema quite seriously (sometimes a tad too much so), and is not afraid to wield it like some blade.

His taste, although refined, can also range from the bizarre and questionable (Star Crash, Beyond the Black Rainbow), to the obvious and the obscure (Les Perses and Hu-Man are recent examples of the latter). Sometimes he just missed the boat on great directors, well. You just can’t help but shake your head in amusement.

What you will get, though, is some interesting films you likely haven’t heard of that are worth a look.

The trick is not minding
Yo thanks for the essay lawg, I'm new to the forums so I kinda needed that!

2023 edition coming soon?
He has a link somewhere in this thread where he updates his top 300. It’s changed since this was first released.

His taste, although refined, can also range from the bizarre and questionable (Star Crash, Beyond the Black Rainbow), to the obvious and the obscure (Les Perses and Hu-Man are recent examples of the latter). Sometimes he just missed the boat on great directors, well. You just can’t help but shake your head in amusement.
Don't forget that to him every film with beautiful Asian women is a masterpiece

and is not afraid to wield it like some blade.

Sometimes he just missed the boat on great directors, well.
Like which ones?

2023 edition coming soon?
I'm too lazy. It'd have to be the 2024 edition. I have a sort of 2022 edition on RYM.

Don't forget that to him every film with beautiful Asian women is a masterpiece