Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

Of course there was Mickey Rooney's "infamous" appearance in Breakfast At Tiffany's where he played "Mr. Yunioshi" - a role that has now been deemed so ethnically stereotypical, "racist" and insensitive that some places have considered banning the movie and petitions were signed to prevent outdoor screenings of the film.

Of course there was Mickey Rooney's "infamous" appearance in Breakfast At Tiffany's where he played "Mr. Yunioshi" - a role that has now been deemed so ethnically stereotypical, "racist" and insensitive that some places have considered banning the movie and petitions were signed to prevent outdoor screenings of the film.
I haven't seen that one in years, of course Audrey Hepburn is so dear in that film, well in all of her films really. I hardly remember Mickey Rooney in it, but I know what you're talking about as I've seen it mentioned before.

Oh god i must have repressed that, i've seen him in that too. Actually i just checked Letterboxd and i've seen nine films of his: Breakfast At Tiffany's, Night At The Museum, The Fox and the Hound, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Babe: Pig In The City, Pete's Dragon, The Black Stallion, Lady and the Tramp II and The Care Bears Movie.

Mostly voice acting which explains why i thought i hadn't seen him in anything.

I haven't seen that one in years, of course Audrey Hepburn is so dear in that film, well in all of her films really. I hardly remember Mickey Rooney in it, but I know what you're talking about as I've seen it mentioned before.
It was just the first thing that came to mind when I saw his name. Otherwise I thought of the Andy Hardy movies - which I always joke all seemed to have the same plot - the "kids" always had to raise money to save the farm (or something) by putting on a show down at the old barn - and somehow, by the end, the old barn's interior somehow grew to epic proportions to accomodate huge moving sets & stages for giant musical spectacles!

I'm not the world's biggest Mickey Rooney fan but I'll try to fit a couple of his films in over the next cpl of days (availability allowing).

I've seen Half A Sinner and Babes In Arms relatively recently and I'd certainly have seen The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, Captain Courageous and some of the Judge Hardy series as a youngster but those would need revisiting if I can find the time, the films and pluck up the inclination....

An aside: I did work with a guy quite a while back called Ronan who looked the spit of Mickey Rooney and once remarked as such when a few of us were out for a few scoops. He was made-up until it finally twigged that I'd said Rooney and not Rourke lol.

Gave Hoosier Schoolboy and The Healer a spin, neither are fantastic - the first is really heavy-handed with it's themes whilst the second suffers from being totally predictable - but for his part in proceedings young Master Rooney is decent enough in both.

...I've seen Half A Sinner and Babes In Arms relatively recently and I'd certainly have seen The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, Captain Courageous and some of the Judge Hardy series as a youngster...
I've been wanting to see The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn myself.
An aside: I did work with a guy quite a while back called Ronan who looked the spit of Mickey Rooney and once remarked as such when a few of us were out for a few scoops. He was made-up until it finally twigged that I'd said Rooney and not Rourke lol.
Ha! I can image you guys in a soda shop ordering up scoops of ice cream with a friend who looks just like Mickey. Probably wasn't as fun as I image But that's what I like about Mickey Rooney he seems like the life of the party and all around nice guy.

Ha! I can image you guys in a soda shop ordering up scoops of ice cream with a friend who looks just like Mickey. Probably wasn't as fun as I image But that's what I like about Mickey Rooney he seems like the life of the party and all around nice guy.
Yeah .... wrong type of scoops though ..... we were in a bar bending the elbow

I don't know why, but I've never been much of a Mickey Rooney fan. I've seen a few of his movies, but I just don't see his appeal.
Hopefully one of my choices will be universally liked

Hopefully one of my choices will be universally liked
Might never know at this rate

Captain Courageous .
It really bothers me more than it should that the film (and the Kipling novel it's based on which i've not read) is called Captains Courageous haha. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation (like is it two brothers who are captains with the surname Courageous? lol) for that in the film/novel but still it's such an annoying title.

It really bothers me more than it should that the film (and the Kipling novel it's based on which i've not read) is called Captains Courageous haha. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation (like is it two brothers who are captains with the surname Courageous? lol) for that in the film/novel but still it's such an annoying title.
Indeedy ...... grrrrrr, sufferin' succotash!

My #24 Favorite 30's Actress is

Mae West

"Known for her lighthearted bawdy double entendres, and breezy sexual independence, she made a name for herself in vaudeville before moving to Hollywood to become a comedian, actress, and writer. For her contributions to American cinema, the American Film Institute named West 15th among the greatest female stars of classic American cinema."

She only has 13 actor credits listed on IMDB, but made a name for herself that people today still recognize.

Filmography Biography

Some of my favorite 1930s films of hers are:

Night After Night (1932) Her first film and a brawdy Pre-Code movie, also staring George Raft.

She Done Him Wrong (1933)With Cary Grant another Pre-Code movie.

I'm No Angel(1933) Yet another Pre-Code film with Cary Grant.

Go West Young Man (1936)

My #23 Favorite 1930's Actor is
Leslie Howard

Filmography Biography

British born Leslie Howard was a major star in the 1930s in both American and Britain. Probably best know for his supporting role in Gone With The Wind. He was best friends with Humphrey Bogart and Bogart named a son after Leslie. Sadly he was killed in 1943 during the war.

Some of my favorite 1930s movies of his are:

Of Human Bondage (1934) with Bette Davis

The Petrified Forest (1936) with Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart

Gone with the Wind (1939)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leslie Howard.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	46939  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Howard's greatest role is as Henry Higgins in Pygmalion, although he and Bogie are pretty funny in Stand-In.

Pretty sure I've never watched a single Mae West flick from the 30s, will have to see if I can dig any up next week.

Rewatched Gone With The Wind just last month and both The Petrified Forest and Stand-In last November so in terms of this list I already have Leslie Howard covered but I like him anyway so if any of Pygmalion, The Scarlet Pimpernel, British Agent, Of Human Bondage or Berkeley Square are available to me I'll try and fit rewatches of those in at some point too.

Rewatched both Pygmalion and The Scarlet Pimpernel, both with solid performances from Mr. Howard, the former is still great fun that has stood the test of time really well whilst the latter is entertaining enough even though it does focus far more on drama than adventure.