My Favorite "Triple Threat" Performers

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Gene Kelly

He was an actor, singer, dancer, director, producer, and choreographer. Known primarily as a dancer, this guy was a true show business renaissance man. A meticulous perfectionist who did have a reputation as being difficult to work with. Singer Tony Martin was once quoted as saying that he knew when wife Cyd Charisse came home from a day at MGM he could always tell when she had been working with Kelly or with Fred Astaire because when she was working with Kelly, she would come home with bruises all over her feet and legs. He made his film debut opposite Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal. He and creative partner Stanley Donen were the first to convince MGM to do some filming on location for On the Town. Though Vincente Minnelli is credited as director, Kelly was the driving force behind 1951's Best Picture An American in Paris, as well as one of cinema's most beloved musicals, Singin in the Rain. His directing credits include The Tunnel of Love, A Guide for the Married Man, and Hello Dolly!. I have posted a clip of him as D'Artagnan in the 1948 version of The Three Musketeers; "You Were Meant for Me" from Singin in the Ran, which shows Gene could sing and dance; the alter ego dance from Cover Girl where Gene danced with his favorite partner and provided the choreography; "I Like Myself" from It's Always Fair Weather, Gene's amazing number done completely on roller skates, and I couldn't resist adding "The Babbitt and the Bromide" from Zeigfeld Follies, the first time Kelly and Fred Astaire danced together onscreen...enjoy.

I love Gene Kelly. He would have been #1 on my list.

I'm always amazed watching him dance on roller skates because I can't even stand still on roller skates without falling down.

Carol Burnett

One of the most popular and endlessly talented women in show business history. After her big break on Broadway as Princess Winifred in Once Upon a Mattress, she was a regular on The Garry Moore Show and then she became the first female performer to host her own variety show, The Carol Burnett Show, which ran on CBS for eleven seasons. She did a series of variety specials with Julie Andrews, Dolly Parton, and Beverly Sills. Her film credits include Guess Who's Sleeping in My Bed, Pete-N-Tillie, Chu-Chu and the Philla Flash, Noises Off and the 1982 film version of Annie. She appeared in television versions of Plaza Suite and Sx Rms Rvr Vw. She played Marcia Cross' stepmother on Desperate Housewives, Helen Hunt's mother on Mad About You, and Jane Lynch's mother on Glee. She also received an Emmy nomination for her performance as the mother of dead solider in the CBS TV movie Friendly Fire. She is known as one of the industry's funniest women, but people often forget that Burnett has a powerhouse set of pipes, even though she claims to only like singing with someone else or when she's playing a character. Trying to find the proper clips to showcase her versatility was rough. I have posted a piece of what was probably the most famous parody Carol ever did on her show, "Went with the Wind"; Carol's rendition of my favorite song from Annie, "Little Girls"; Caro and George Hearn doing "A Country House" from the Stephen Sondheim review Putting it Together; her show's spoof of the Joan Crawford movie Mildred Pierce, and Burnett brining down the house belting out "I'm Still Here" during the 1986 concert version of Follies...enjoy.

Okay, we're down to number two... before I reveal my #1, I do have a few honorable mentions:

I love "The Carol Burnett Show", but it's hard to find any channel that doesn't cut it to shreds when they air the reruns. I have some episodes on DVD, but I wish I could find the complete series at a good price.

Honorable Mentions:

Angela Lansvbury

Alan Cumming

Madonna

Donny Osmond

Florence Henderson

Lea Michele

Amy Adams

Michelle Pfeiffer

OK, that's enough of that...drum roll please...and now the reveal of my #1 "Triple Threat Performer":

Anyone want to tale a guess as to who it might be before I reveal?

I'd guess either Judy Garland or Alan Cumming.

James Cagney could be a long shot, but he's probably more of an honorable mention at this point.

Judy Garland

You got it, GBG...anyone who has followed my threads over the years should have had no problem figuring out my #1. She was primarily known as one of the greatest vocalist on the planet, but was one of the industry's most well rounded performers, despite the hell that was her personal life. Her career began at the age of three as part of a vaudeville act with her two older sisters. About a decade later, she was signed as a contract player at MGM, who had no idea what to do with the little girl with the great big voice. Then along came the screenplay for a musical called The Wizard of Oz, which had been tailored to Garland's talents. The MGM bigwigs were wary of putting such a big project in the hands of unknown Garland and went to Universal to borrow Shirley Temple for the project. Fortunately, it turned out that Temple couldn't handle the musical score and Universal wouldn't lend her to MGM and the rest is history. I have posted "The Man that Got Away" from her Oscar-nominated performance in A Star is Born; "Who" from Til the Clouds Roll By, which shows her lightness on her feet; "When that Midnight Night Choo Choo Leaves for Alabam" with Fred Astaire from Easter Parade also shows off her dance skills; I've posted her climactic scene from Judgement at Nurmeburg, which earned her an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress; there's a non-musical scene from A Star is Born has me fighting tears every time I watch it; I also had the post the sadly neglected "Mr. Monotony", a number filmed for Easter Parade, but sadly cut from the film before release. At least they found later use of the costume. Enjpy.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.

Congrats Gideon on finishing your list. Judy Garland is a great number 1 choice, she would be tops for me too.

Surprisingly there were a lot of performers on here I've not heard of before like Alan Cumming. Of course I don't watch TV and I don't watch many new films either so that's probably why I hadn't heard of many of these performers.

Cumming is known primarily for his work on Broadway, in particular, his role as the Emcee in a revival of the stage musical Cabaret...here he is performing the opening number in the 1998 revival:

Cumming is known primarily for his work on Broadway, in particular, his role as the Emcee in a revival of the stage musical Cabaret...here he is performing the opening number in the 1998 revival:
Have you seen many stage shows on Broadway? I've never even been to NYC.

I saw Pearl Bailey in her revival of Hello Dolly back in the 60's; I saw Nell Carter in Ain't Misbehavin, I saw the Stephen Sondheim musical Sunday in the Park with George, I saw Dustin Hoffman in a revival of Death of a Salesman and a gender-change revival of The Odd Couple with Rita Moreno playing Olive and Sally Struthers playing Felicia; I also saw the Bob Fosse musical Dancin

I saw Pearl Bailey in her revival of Hello Dolly back in the 60's; I saw Nell Carter in Ain't Misbehavin, I saw the Stephen Sondheim musical Sunday in the Park with George, I saw Dustin Hoffman in a revival of Death of a Salesman and a gender-change revival of The Odd Couple with Rita Moreno playing Olive and Sally Struthers playing Felicia; I also saw the Bob Fosse musical Dancin
You must live close to a major city?

Awesome list, @Gideon58! I was hoping #1 would be Judy Garland. And even though Easter Parade is one of my favorite movies of all-time, I never knew there was a cut number from it. And "Mr. Monotony" is a great number. Judy's dressed like she was in the final number from Summer Stock (1950), "Get Happy," which was two years after Easter Parade. I guess since "Mr. Monotony" was cut, she brought back that look with the hat and shorts and stockings for "Get Happy." Hey, if it works once, why not again?