Best Movie Parody

Tools    

What is the best movie parody. In case you haven't seen Dr. Strangelove, it's a parody about nuclear war.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
One you don't have on your list -- "Stiff Upper Lips." I like period pieces and THIS one ... oh, THIS one ... this one was wonderful. Especially after having read a whole lot of Emily/Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen ... My vote would go for that one.

And another I really liked, though not the best to me ... Silence of the Hams. That cracked me up.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Spaceballs got my vote...What movie does The Naked Gun parody? I'm not trying to bash it or anything, I think its a freaking hilarious movie...I was just wondering.

Every cop/detective movie for the most part.

- "Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to keep on my toes."
- "Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel things out."
- "I'm sure we can deal with this situation like the sensible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr. Poopy Pants?"

I like the classics. Give me Airplane any day.

I think the original Naked Gun tv show (actually called Police Squad) was mostly a parody of Dragnet, though parodies of all sorts of other cop shows (and shows in general) were included as well.

I was just wondering if anyone here besides me has seen Dr. Strangelove?

I've seen Dr. Strangelove. That movie contains one of my favorite lines. ("There's no fighting in the War Room")

I haven't seen it in a good many years, though. It's a classic, but it's certainly not "laugh-a-minute" like Naked Gun or Airplane!

Well then what's Airplane a parody of?

Originally posted by WaltSnider
Well then what's Airplane a parody of?
I assume it's a parody of "Airport" for the most part.

Didn't see it.
I'm pretty sure you are right on that one. At the time, I think Airport movies were still being made.

Hmm... never saw/heard of Airport... I suppose I should culture myself

Don't feel bad - I havn't heard of it either. Are you all sure it was really a parody? Always seemed to me that it parodied tons of stuff, and was it's own animal for the most part.

Having seen the Airport movies, I would say that Airplane! was most certainly a parody of the Airport movies. Certainly they parodied other things, too, but it's obvious to me that they started out with a parody of Airport and then added everything else as they went.

I can't believe there are people who have never heard of any of the Airport movies. They were part of the string of disaster movies of the '70s that also included The Posideon Adventure, Towering Inferno, among others.

Young people these days. How can you say you are a movie fan, and yet you haven't seen the Airport movies? Shame on you. They used to be shown over and over and over on reruns. They were not all that bad, and they had big names starring in them.
  • Airport 1970 - Starring Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, Jean Seberg, Jacqueline Bisset, George Kennedy, Helen Hayes.
  • Airport 1975 - Starring Charlton Heston, Karen Black, George Kennedy, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Susan Clark, Helen Reddy.
  • Airport '77 - Starring Jack Lemmon, Lee Grant, Brenda Vaccaro, Joseph Cotten, Olivia de Havilland, Darren McGavin.
  • The Concorde (Airport '79) - Starring Alain Delon, Susan Blakely, Robert Wagner, Sylvia Kristel, George Kennedy, Eddie Albert.

I don't remember which one is which, but one of the Airport movies had a small plane crash into the front of a jumbo jet, sucking out the flight crew and forcing the stweardess to land the plane.

Another one had terrorists or someone trying to hijack a plane full of rich muckety-mucks but accidently crashing it into the ocean. The plane survives the crash and merely sinks. Passengers try to escape and the Navy comes to help eventually.

The Concorde one has George Kennedy and some French guy piloting the Concorde. Some rich muckety-muck is trying to blow up and/or crash the plane because someone who "knows too much" about something I can't remember is on-board.

As often as these movies show up on independent television stations on Saturday afternoons, I'm surprised you haven't seen some of them (I've seen the Concorde one once this year already).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well, for parody of movies (rather than actual full length movies which are parodies of other movies), I recommend Adam and Joe's soft-toy versions of famous films, like Toytanic:

Also see Saving Private Lion and American Beautoy.