Angels in America

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Anyone know what this show is about? It hasn't started over here yet, but it starts on the weekend and looks very interesting. Got Meryl Streep and Al Pacino in it so must be good? Thats the way im thinking anyway.....Already out in the states am i right?

Dont spoil it for me but gimme an idea of what its like, coz it looks awse

Yes, it already had it's debut here, back in December.

I LOVE "Angels in America". I thought the second part was even stronger than the first, but both are magnificent.

This epic six-hour-ish television project is an ambitious adaptation of Tony Kushner's two plays Angels in America: Millennium Approaches and Angels in America: Perestroika. The plays earned Kushner the Pulitzer Prize, two Tony Awards, two Drama Desk Awards, and many, many other prestigous notices.

As for what it is about...."Angels in America" is about a lot of things. Cheifly, the impact of AIDS - morally, politically, emotionally and spiritually. It has a few main stories that run concurrently, sometimes intersecting.

The storyarc that Pacino stars in involves infamous lawyer Roy M. Cohn, a self-hating Jew and closeted homosexual who first gained prominence in the 1950s as one of the prosecuting attorneys of Julius & Ethel Rosenberg, then as the legal aide and lapdog of Senator Joe McCarthy during the Communist witch-hunts. Cohn died of AIDS in 1986, and "Angels in America" dramatizes his blusterous, venomous ramblings on his deathbed. Among other things, he is haunted by the ghost of Ethel Rosenberg (played by Meryl Streep, in one of her three roles in the project).

That's only one small part of "Angels in America" and doesn't even adequately describe even a third of the Cohn bits, but that should give you a little flavor for what the films are. It is very stylized, and has some incredible speeches throughout. The cast are all perfect, especially Pacino, Streep, Justin Kirk and the always amazing Jeffrey Wright (who has a dual role). Director Mike Nichols (The Graduate, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Working Girl) brings it all to life quite amazingly.

It's a great film. An important film. It's also a difficult film, but stick with it, as the rewards are worth it. And don't be afraid that it's all heavy and dense, as there are many, many moments of wit and extremely dark comedy throughout as well. "Angels in America" is not any one thing, and really defies any easy description or classification. You just have to see it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanx for the info Holden, Susan. youve made it sound incredibly appealing and i cannot wait to see it now. So let me get this straight, its a two part TV movie? I thought it was a new series starting, but then again why would Pacino and Streep do a Tv series.
Obviously the trailers and the cast first made my mouth water for it but when i watched the Golden Globes and saw it was nominated for several awards and won, i knew that its gotta be good. As i said it starts this weekend so ill let you know what i think about it.

Well, they basically made the two plays into two movies. Originally here on HBO, they ran as two three-hour movies. Since then, HBO has run them as six one-hour segments. That may be how they're presenting them in The U.K., I dunno. But properly, it's one long piece...or at least two movies.

But no, not a "series". It's a film, no matter how you slice it.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the DVD. Expect HBO to get lots of mileage running it on their network before releasing it on DVD ("Band of Brothers" took about a year to make it to disc). No announcement yet, but late fall or the Christmas season is what I'd expect. At the earliest.

Well I only have one problem with it, at the Golden Globes they kept ptting AIA in with the comedy t.v. shows, and it won everything it was in pretty much. GIVE WILL AND GRACE A CHANCE YOU LIMEY B*******!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's nowhere close to being my fav. show, but I still think it's a very well written show, and extrememly funny. Especially when John Clees and Jack Black guest-starred. Not on the same show, but those two episodes were just hilarious.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Enemies are so stimulating.
looooooook up

sorry had to post that.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Truth, beauty, freedom and love
I believe that that what i have just watched is one of the finest examples i can think of as to why i love film.

Breathtaking, inspiring, heart warming and enchanting.

Outstanding performances from all lead actors and Mike Nichols has shown once again that he one of the best in the business.

Sadly the tape that I watched it on was damaged in places, so I await with baited breath for the DVD.

I plan on turning the volume way, way up when the angel arrives….Goose pimples…
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	angels.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2558  
What did you expect? 'Welcome, sonny?' 'Make yourself at home.' 'Marry my daughter.' You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know - morons.

Enemies are so stimulating.
Originally Posted by DMCUK
I believe that that what i have just watched is one of the finest examples i can think of as to why i love film.

Outstanding performances from all lead actors and Mike Nichols has shown once again that he one of the best in the business.

Sadly the tape that I watched it on was damaged in places, so I await with baited breath for the DVD.

when blib reads this he is going to be so frustrated that i have his videos of it that he recorded from the tv and then forgot to take home from my house. dont worry though...we will watch them together during easter when i come back.

Originally Posted by DMCUK

Great review. Youve made me wanna see this ooooh sooo much more now. Saw a clip of the bit with the angel....oh my.

Originally Posted by sisboombah
when blib reads this he is going to be so frustrated that i have his videos of it that he recorded from the tv and then forgot to take home from my house. dont worry though...we will watch them together during easter when i come back.
Dam right we will

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
omg finally other people who have seen this! i loved and i did cry like a little girl at parts, cant remember which parts but i know i did

It starts on Australian TV tonight, after reading this I am going to watch it. Thanks.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
i think my fave scene in this is where harper and prior share their vision and harper says something i never realised before-that our imagination can only make up images of other stuff we know, it recycles images and mixes them all together to make something different