Is British music better than American?

Tools    

And this is my BOOMstick!
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard
But they're not punk rock.......
nofx and bad religion? of course they are. and gg allin is punk.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
NoFx isnt punk.. Bad religion is more punk then they are, but they still don't qualify as punk

Someone Save Us College Kids
Although "American" music has offered us excellant bands like, Nirvana , Jimi Hendrix Expierence,and many many more. I think British artists cleaned it up and made music more slick. It wasnt until Henrix began to tour around England before forming the Expeirence, and Britian also gave us the greatest band of all time, Led Zeppelin, and the greatest punk band ever, the sex Pistols.
But between the two, American music is way better then British, we invented most of the genres of music out, so what if Britian rejuvenated Rock music, but we invented it. We gave birth to bands that invented and revolutionized music, like the Ramones, who invented Punk, Hendrix who gave birth to Hard rock, Black Flag turnd punk into "Hardcore Punk", Nirvana who invented Grunge and Bands like Rage Against the Machine, and Pearl Jam who took rock and made it political.

just a quick thought...most early british artists (including the beatles) copied the american rock and roll style and covered much from the doo wop period (50's music)

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
who did the beatles copy then?
Various Doo Wop groups, I wouldnt say they copied, but the did take a little of there music from that and rolled with it.

I hate say it but the sexpistols also copied, they took riffs and chords from bands like Cream.

Well, just because they copied, doesn't mean they aren't good. For me Sex Pistols have had a much bigger impact and wider spreading influence than Cream, who i dont think i've ever heard. Also, i dont think the Sex Pistols were at all about sound, it was attitude and their relevance in the current social and political era. To be fair, they couldn't play their instruments for *****.
Personally i dont think theres anything wrong with taking a style and using elements of it. Is it fair to say The Beatles COPIED doo-wop groups? The Beatles are obviously better if you couldn't even name any bands (or just chose not to) and while they 'used' other genre, they led a whole new one themselves.

acatually the cream and the sex pistols were both british bands..when i meant copy or cover songs i meant that they drew inspiration from older bands...in this case american doo wop groups from the 50's...a lot of british bands of the 60's drew their inspirationn from american groups...that's all...

Kasabian are one of the best bands in the UK at the moment, along with the already mentioned Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol and Razorlight. There's Keane aswell who are amazing but may well be out of topic with this being 'rock'.

No mentions for Oasis neither? *THE* band of the 90s.

BTW, somebody mentioned The Killers under 'British'... they are from Vegas... and The Thrills are Irish

Originally Posted by rjmcfc86
Kasabian are one of the best bands in the UK at the moment, along with the already mentioned Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol and Razorlight. There's Keane aswell who are amazing but may well be out of topic with this being 'rock'.

No mentions for Oasis neither? *THE* band of the 90s.

BTW, somebody mentioned The Killers under 'British'... they are from Vegas... and The Thrills are Irish
Oasis could have been the next Beatles, if they got there **** together

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
oasis are good but i dont think they're all that, some of their songs sounds kinda the same. I liked champagne supernova, right here right now, thats about it really

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
oasis are good but i dont think they're all that, some of their songs sounds kinda the same. I liked champagne supernova, right here right now, thats about it really
I like Stop crying your heart out.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think Oasis have made one really good album, Definately Maybe, but after that I don't think they have done anything special except for a song here and there. Some Might Say that ended up on What's the Story Morning Glory is one of my favourites. But I love the entire first album. Kind of like the Nevermind the Bollocks of the '90s.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.