Dinosaurs and The Bible.

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
I'm no theologist. But why aren't dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible? I mean the Book opens at the beginning of time, right?

The very mention of the serpent, based on scientific hypothesis, suggests that the snake is a prehistoric decendant of the creatures that first walked the earth. How is it that the followers of the Good Book completely ignore the fact that fossils, bones, remains are being found and carbon-dated to ages that preceed the life of Christ? Preceed the Bible?
Explain. I'm curious.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

The Bible doesn't mention hedgehogs, chipmunks, or dandruff either. It's not meant to be an encylopedia. Some, however, believe that it's reference to a "leviathon" may, indeed, refer to a dinosaur.

Regardless, the reason many seemingly intelligent Christians go on believing what they do despite recent scientific claims is that such claims are obviously dubious. Carbon-dating is flawed in that it assumes a constant rate of decay. Even if we were to assume it was accurate, however, it would only force Christianity to acknowledge that The Bible is not wholly literal.

A better question, I think, is why non-believers emphasize the importance of skepticism and questioning in all things religious, but are so stunningly willing to swallow whatever anyone in the scientific community tells them is true. My old man likes to point out that many of those who have no faith in the man wearing the white collar have plenty in the man wearing the white lab coat.

There are those who call me...Tim.
A wise man once said...
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
That pretty much sums up what I think of the whole Bible situation. Hell, if we all took the bible literally we'd believe that the earth was made in 6 days and it was only a few thousand years old, but archaeologists and scientists have successfully thrown that idea right out the window.
The bible shouldn't be taken as gospel (excuse the pun) but instead used as a guide to teach people how to live in harmony.
Anyway, good evening

there's a frog in my snake oil
Marvellous post Shadow of Tree... I mean Ash_Lee. (that's a complement btw. Just a slightly esoteric one ).

Originally Posted by Yoda
Even if we were to assume it was accurate, however, it would only force Christianity to acknowledge that The Bible is not wholly literal.
That'd be enough .

Originally Posted by Yoda
My old man likes to point out that many of those who have no faith in the man wearing the white collar have plenty in the man wearing the white lab coat.
I'm sceptical of both.

And any new idealogical creed that crops up can wear white belts for all i care. They've still gotta make an attempt to reconcile their mental conceits with the world-wide receipt .

---

R3, just how many kettles of fish can you open a week? That should be your next thread question .

On the dinosaur issue, my understanding is that dinosaur bones have been found on all the continents in numbers that suggest they were wide-spread/predominant. As such, it does seem a little odd that no one in the bible mentioned anything about them over the ages charted. More than a little odd.

Doesn't disprove God. Just shows that the bible shoudn't be taken as a history of the world, perhaps .

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I am also skeptical, but kicking around ideas about this stuff is fun.
When I was a kid, my little brother asked the same question of some missionaries. I thought their answer was pretty cool: the Bible says God made the heavens and the earth. It doesn't say what materials he used to make them. The dinosaurs could have been on a world he recycled to make this one.

My life isn't written very well.
That's fine. But when was text created? Does it mention that in the Bible?

Text? or T-Rex?
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Writing (text) originated in the Mesepotamia regions by the Sumerians. The earliest form of writing was cunieform writing which was symbols and such that meant different things and were used by scribes. Can't find the actual date but it was after or quite near 5000 B.C, which was when cities and towns and civilization began to pop up near the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.

As far as Dino's go I found a few links.

Here's the thing Yoda was talking about, verses that might mention dinosaurs.

here's a far more fleshed out article on the subject.

I think there's something in my father office on the subject, I am going to go and see. Both of those aren't the best articles in the world. The problem with religious subjects that Christian writers tend to put a simple verse and "Why question God.." answer, and non-believers sometimes provide biased or mis-quoted information and allude the point of the question altogether.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
I am also skeptical, but kicking around ideas about this stuff is fun.
When I was a kid, my little brother asked the same question of some missionaries. I thought their answer was pretty cool: the Bible says God made the heavens and the earth. It doesn't say what materials he used to make them. The dinosaurs could have been on a world he recycled to make this one.
That's an interesting idea. Perhaps he had something to do with the comet crash? You know, gave it a little nudge

He says he doesn't have anything. So I looked and he has tons of stuff that should mention it but don't. Now this is bugging me. Off to the library!

Sam
Woody is me but Sam is my name
1 good example of a film that took place in the past.. but had no animals except birds goat cow horse ( i think) snake ( i think).. it had no dinos

Monty Python and the Life of Brian.

If i may re-direct another old theory;
The Bible may not mention dinos, but it doesnt say that there werent any. 6 days to create the earth, right? What if those days were each millions of years long? Our concept of a day is based on the sun, which, having been created on the first day, could not have been viewed by man in the first 5 days, (obviously). Maybe god did his work very slowly. Or god's 'time' ,(i say this with percautions under the notion that time is completley created by man) is different, a few million of our years is nothin to god. Or, i am a bumbling, incoherent freak. hmm...

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
"Behold now, Behemoth, which I made as well as you; He eats grass like an ox Behold now, his strength in his loins, And his power in the muscles of his belly. He bends his tail like a cedar; The sinews of his thighs are knit together. His bones are tubes of bronze; His limbs are like bars of iron." Job 40:15-18

"Can you draw out Leviathan with a fishhook? Or press down his tongue with a cord?" Job 41:1

Evidence of dinosaurs?? Perhaps...

"Never let a dog pick what you watch."