A Noob's Journey through Cinema

→ in
Tools    

@Little Ash

No it was an actual "so bad it's good" series that they ran at the time. Other movies they were playing were Plan 9 from Outer Space (obviously) and Reefer Madness.

@ScarletLion I don't want to make it sound like the movie was bad, it wasn't, and indeed, the acting was great. My biggest gripe I have with it, I think, is that the lead character herself isn't fleshed out all that much. She feels like a supporting character in her own story.

@Little Ash

No it was an actual "so bad it's good" series that they ran at the time. Other movies they were playing were Plan 9 from Outer Space (obviously) and Reefer Madness.

*sighs*. That's a shame. I really enjoyed MST3K as a teenager, but the mainstreamification of the "so-bad-it's-good," has caused people to prime themselves to think all cult movies are bad and that's why they're laughing (and sometimes laughing at things they shouldn't be laughing at).

The fact it's spread to the people selecting the movies is also a problem, but a not-surprising one.

@ScarletLion I don't want to make it sound like the movie was bad, it wasn't, and indeed, the acting was great. My biggest gripe I have with it, I think, is that the lead character herself isn't fleshed out all that much. She feels like a supporting character in her own story.
Isn't that the entire point? That is probably exactly how the character feels!

Isn't that the entire point? That is probably exactly how the character feels!
I mean, that is fair point. I would argue you can still have a more "passive" lead character that is still fully fleshed out. But then, again, I don't want to sound too negative about this movie that I still quite enjoyed.

Victim of The Night
Messiah of Evil (1973, Willard Huyck, Gloria Katz)

AKA Vibes - The Movie

This is my kind of horror flick, with barely any plot, but full of atmosphere and dread. Set almost entirely in a shady echo to the (sub)urban dream - roadside gas stations, dirty motels, pretentious art galleries (with a blind art dealer, because of course), supermarkets, movie theaters, not to mention that crazy house that looks more like an art installation. Trades on that creepy feeling of being somewhere you're not supposed to be after it's closed and abandoned better than any other horror movie I've ever seen. In a lot of ways this feels like a 70s update of the 1962 oddbal indie Carnival of Souls.

Also, I'm a 100% certain Ari Aster loves the **** out of this.
Sorry to play necromancer, but this has become one of my favorite movies.