the Green Mile

→ in
Tools    

One of my favorite movies of all time! I just love it to death. I saw this when I was like ten and believe me, I was nothing short of impressed. The first time I saw Delacroix (yes that's how it's spelled) die, I cried. Definately one of the best Stephen King movies yet.
And found he was eating his shoe.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
One of my favorite movies of all time! I just love it to death. I saw this when I was like ten and believe me, I was nothing short of impressed. The first time I saw Delacroix (yes that's how it's spelled) die, I cried. Definately one of the best Stephen King movies yet.

One of the most overpraised films of recent years. There is alread a thread about this movie somewhere.

I loathed that movie.

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
I loathed that movie.
...and Kong thought he was the only one on these boards who didn't like it.

Originally Posted by Kong
...and Kong thought he was the only one on these boards who didn't like it.

I didn’t see what was so special about it either…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Are you kidding? This movie rocked!

I can always understand when someone doesn’t care much for a movie, but loathe? We’re not talking about a movie like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes here. I liked The Green Mile. I thought it was pleasing to look at and the acting was well done. The story flowed at a leisurely pace that was indicative of the narrator.

I was thinking about Roger Ebert and how his reviewing style has changed since Gene Siskel died. One major difference is that when he likes a particular actor, he seems to be a little more forgivable with a lesser movie. That’s how I feel about Tom Hanks, Geoffrey Rush even more so. If they do a movie that may not be stellar, I’ll still like it all right because they’re in it. Yet, with the Green Mile, I would have liked it anyway. I’ve heard arguments against this movie before, actually, I think I remember reading opinions of Kong’s in the past. Tell me something, is the main reason for your dislike of this movie because it relies on being a tearjerker too much? Is that something you normally resist in a movie?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I liked The Green Mile immensely.............

This movie deals with unpleasant issues and while this all may seem "heavy" and dark, there are quite a few moments of human compassion as well...................

But hey........I'm a Stephen King fan.........so what would you expect........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Tell me something, is the main reason for your dislike of this movie because it relies on being a tearjerker too much? Is that something you normally resist in a movie?
Being horribly manipulative and being a tearjerker are two completely different things.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Tell me something, is the main reason for your dislike of this movie because it relies on being a tearjerker too much? Is that something you normally resist in a movie?
Well, Kong doesn't "loathe" the film like Henry does. Like you said, the acting and cinematography are both good, and Kong took at least some pleasure from watching those. What Kong didn't like was the writing. There were so many scenes that just repeated previous things. This not only slowed down the pacing but it gave the film an unjustified lenghty running time. Furhtermore, the characters are written very blandly. They're either really really good, or really really evil and this only serves to make them really really predictable and really really boring. Luckily, the acting made up for some of that, but not enough to make Kong enjoy the film.

As far as being resistant to tearjerkers... Kong's favorite film is Umberto D, so that isn't even an issue. But, like Henry said, this film uses manipulation to coax the audience to tears, and Kong doesn't usually like that.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I love The Green Mile...but most of that love is out of my hate for the villain Percy...one of the most vile men ever put to the screen.

And on the topic of tearjerkers...I don't think it was too great in this department. I didn't get that much emotion in that direction...but then again, it takes a bunch to make me cry (although The Elephant Man made me least 3 times....check that out.)

Ah, Now I understand more. And I was right, I do remember you saying those same exact things before. I guess it doesn't bother me as much when characters are perfectly defined in either the good or evil catagory. Perhaps in another lesser film it would, but I like so many of the "good guy" actors so much, it didn't bother me at all that they were pigeon holed.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
And on the topic of tearjerkers...I don't think it was too great in this department. I didn't get that much emotion in that direction...but then again, it takes a bunch to make me cry (although The Elephant Man made me least 3 times....check that out.)
The Elephant Man is a great movie - very emotional. As for The Green Mile...it was a great movie with good acting, and some very emotional parts. Great Stephen King adaption.

i thought that this film was brilliant, i think all the cast were brilliant and it showed how good actors can really be.
i think that it was beatifully directed and it was a work of art.
i think that it really gave you an insight to how it must have been years ago.
i thought that it was one of the best films that i have ever seen
tom hanks is pure genious...

cazz
x
p.s and the little mouse was so sweet lol