X-Men: First Class

→ in
Tools    

I was underwhelmed. Xavier, Magneto, and Beast were fun to watch develop but overall it was just OK. Mystique was obnoxious as hell and the fairy fireball chick was lame.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I thought it was the same scene as Xmen 1, then a lookalike child actor in the Kevin Bacon's office scene. If it was reshot they did a hell of a job. I actually watched Xmen like a month or 2 ago so it is still fresh in my head.

I thought it was good but not great. 7.5/10.

It was basically Xmen Origins:Magneto featuring Mystique and Xavier.
I thought that all the kids had fairly useless powers but I thought Kevin Bacon and his crew were impressive. I enjoyed the cameo, didn't expect it at all. The highlight was Fassbender. He was magnificent all the way through. An equal to Ian Mckellen.

I'm pretty sure both the first X-men movie and this movie had the EXACT same opening sequence. Most likely, it was a conscious choice to bridge continuity rather than a failure in creativity, although there was nothing exceptionally creative about this film over the others.
It wasn't exactly the same, they reshot it. In the old one he's separated from his father, in the new one from his mother.

I still see it as a bad creative choice to take an already borrowed-feeling sequence from another movie and just reshoot it the same way and drop it in right at the beginning, which is the film-maker's chance to tell us about his creative vision (is it going to be something special or just a rote exercize?) It's not like a film can't overcome a lame begining or that that was my only problem with the movie, but it's emblematic of how ordinary I feel the movie is.

It wasn't bad or hard to watch or anything, just nowhere near a
for me.

I tend to agree. But I did have fun. At least it had a good political message. Unlike TDK. Or at all.

The Dark Knight raised lots of interesting political questions, particularly about the decision/result process that makes democracy effective. If it doesn't have a "message" it's probably because the story isn't over yet.

You misunderstood. TDK definitely had a message. Which I hated and possibly ruined the movie for me as a whole in terms of a longer lasting relationship.

I said "at all", because most superhero films do not contain such a message.

Anybody who hates TDK is a big stoopid head.

Of course I didn't hate it, but I can never love it totally, because it was ultimately just a big justification of the Bush administration.

Mystique was obnoxious as hell
All feminists are.

Suprised to see such rave reviews.... as I was totally underwhelmed. Certainly not the Vaughn/X-Men movie I was hoping for.

Xavier and Magneto's relationship was rushed, the kids were pretty lame, the special effects were sub-par and the dialouge was just plain cheesy in most parts.

What I did like was Michael Fassbender as Magneto. Those scenes with him in Europe were the best in the film. Makes me wish they had stuck with the original plan of making an origin movie solely for Magneto...oh well.

X-Men: First Class

Rating - 100% - A+
Wow...100%? So, judging from your favorite movies, you'd class this in the same league as Godfather and Casablanca?

If that was indeed their original plan, then I highly lament their decision to change it. He was, by far, the most interesting character of them all and already the main focus of this film.

You misunderstood. TDK definitely had a message. Which I hated and possibly ruined the movie for me as a whole in terms of a longer lasting relationship.

I said "at all", because most superhero films do not contain such a message.
Why did you hate it? Or should that go in another existing thread and then be linked to here? I guess the latter.

can someone shed light on this please?

in the comics version, wasn't it Lucifer who incapacitated Prof X?

obviously, i am not sure about this. I think a friend told me the back story so i'm not sure. I'd appreciate anyone who can correct or confirm this.

thanks.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men:First Class

I'll start with First Class before i get into the rest of The X Men Films. I just came back from seeing this so here goes.

One thing i want to talk about the film is the ending. If you watch X3 and Wolverine, there are two distinct moments in the film in which First Class has now changed. Being that this could be the first of a trilogy, maybe they will write their way around it, but its a continuity issue i hope they could be smart enough to write their way through.
Well its a prequel with younger actors no doubt signed for future films. X3-last stand, and Origins-Wolverine didn't happen according to time-line and other issues. I mean, remember the flash back sequences of Charles and Magneto recruiting Jean Grey in the 70's, or heck Hank McCoy built Cerebro even.

but that isn't a bad thing.

In the comics as i recall Xavier became incapacitated in a rather convoluted and dare i say unfilmable way. Plenty of comic stuff would just never translate from page to screen in a mainstream flick.

I mean, i for 1 am thrilled Azazel was just there as henchman from the hellfire club.

From Wiki:

Azazel claims that many years ago an ancient horde of demonic mutants from biblical times called the Neyaphem were in an epic battle with a group of angelic over-zealous mutants, named the Cheyarafim. The Cheyarafim were victorious in the battle and vanquished the "evil" mutants to an alternate dimension for all eternity. The Neyaphem's leader, Azazel, was the only one who was able to breach the dimensional void for brief periods of time due to his teleportation powers. His only hope to return to earth was by impregnating women because his children are linked to his dimension. About twenty years ago, Azazel began mating with women who had strange appearances, at least with looks and abilities other women didn't have. He met Mystique in Germany, at the time she was married to a rich castle lord named Baron Christian Wagner, who was unable to give her children. When Mystique was introduced to Azazel, whom Christian knew as a business partner, she had an instant attraction to him. Although she was hesitant to betray Christian, she gave in to Azazel and they made love. Not much later, Mystique was pregnant with Nightcrawler. While Mystique had actually fallen in love with Azazel, he seemed only to be interested in impregnating her, but, in truth, Azazel found himself actually loving Mystique, making her the only woman he ever truly loved. Shortly after his "mission" was complete Azazel left Mystique because the Cheyarafim had learned of his current location in Germany, thus would attempt to kill Azazel, Mystique, and their unborn child. Knowing that Mystique would be safe - having her resources and being the woman she was - Azazel left her to protect her and their child. Mystique, however, would never know of Azazel's true intentions and hated him for leaving her.
Soon afterward, Mystique killed Christian and buried his body because he suspected her betrayal. A few months later, Mystique gave birth to a child. Due to the shock and the strain of the boy’s difficult delivery, Mystique lost concentration and accidentally revealed her true form. Considered a demon, Mystique was chased away by an angry mob. Barely escaping, she tossed the baby down a ravine
originally posted by Chipper
can someone shed light on this please?

in the comics version, wasn't it Lucifer who incapacitated Prof X?

obviously, i am not sure about this. I think a friend told me the back story so i'm not sure. I'd appreciate anyone who can correct or confirm this.

thanks.
from wiki

In a strange town near the Himalayas, Xavier encounters an alien calling himself Lucifer, the advance scout for an invasion by his race, and foils his plans. In retaliation, Lucifer drops a huge stone block on Xavier, crippling his legs.[19] After Lucifer leaves, a young woman named Sage hears Xavier's telepathic cries for help and rescues him, bringing him to safety, beginning a long alliance between the two.[20]
In a hospital in India he is brought to an American nurse, Amelia Voght, who looks after him and, as she sees to his recovery, they fall in love. When he is released from the hospital the two move into an apartment in Bombay together. Amelia is troubled to find Charles studying mutation, as she is a mutant and unsettled by it, though she calms when he reveals himself to be a mutant as well. They eventually move to the United States, living on Xavier's family estate. But the night Scott Summers moves into Xavier's mansion, Amelia leaves him, believing Charles would have changed his view and that mutants should lie low. Yet he is recruiting them to what she believes is a lost cause. Charles tries to force her to stay with his mental powers, but immediately ashamed by this, lets her go. She later becomes a disciple of Magneto.
In terms of rebooted prequel stories go, First Class is on par with Batman Begins i'd say.

I was a lil surprised at the relationship of Raven and Charles in the early years ( was hoping Cain Marko would be introduced properly), however it works fine imo.

The only real fail i saw was the depiction of angel, especially the combat sequences, where she made me think of Avenger Wasp albeit in large form.

quibbles aside,

Just saw this about an hour ago. Well what else is there to say? Great job well done by Vaughn again. He seems to be getting better and better which each film. It's surprising that he succeeds actually as this is very pacy for a prequel and yeah, I agree that a few characters were not fleshed out as much or as well as they could have been, yet I felt that the key relationships were just about established. I think the dynamic between Charles and Erik was strong and it's definitely what drives the story.

Seeing how friends/soul mates become opposing forces is obviously not an original idea. But this is a prequel, so **** originality, the fact is, Charles and Erik have lots of chemistry and you get the feeling they met under different circumstances, they'd have been crazy students shagging and pissing their way together at uni or something, and that stripper joint scene hints at that.

I'll be honest. I came into this film expecting to be mostly be seduced by the 'Magneto Begins' scenes simply because it seemed like it would be the most exciting and sexy parts and the fact that Magneto is probably my favourite X-Men character, but I love how McAvoy's Xavier is interpreted as a philandering and brutally charming individual who takes advantage of his powers to hook up with the ladies. It's an effortless perforamance by McAvoy and one that definitely gave me a different perspective of Professor X even though the humanitarian in him is ever present. But still, the Magneto scenes were as good as I expected them to be.

There was no way Fassbinder wasn't going nail the role and he does so with relish and unreal charisma. I can imagine McKellen is smiling on proud. His theme was also badass, and how he took care of
WARNING: "X-Men: First Class spoilers" spoilers below
those former Nazi troops in the surprisingly brutal bar scene really underscores Magneto's contempt and pitch black rage for those who represent others who have done him wrong. You can see it in his eyes as he anticipates the eventual showdown between himself and the Nazis.
Plus his theme tune SCREAMS awesomeness.

I also liked the Hulk style split screens and comic book transitions during the training sequence, it suggests that despite the strong and controversial themes the film explores, Vaughn knows he has an obligation to aknowledge the source material. The cameo were great, and loved seeing some of my favourite character actors pop up here and there.

January Jones is alright, but I thought that Rose Byrne is a little sexier and that other chick who played Mystique has some delicious thighs on her.

Anyways, gotta give it 4 stars simply because it's a prequel that's been done with respect to the originals and is as good as them..if not better. The only other nibbles I had was that it was fairly predictable after the halfway point and that the mentioned underdevelopment of certain characters is very noticeable. But yeah, great film and the best I have seen this year, too. I hope Brett Ratner sat there with his head down in shame after watching this. THIS is how it's done, son.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Further to your spoiler note, I do wish the film-makers shot a R-rated version that can pop up on the DVD.

We all know the economics of the market-place and why it had to be pg-13 for wide release, I'm not disputing that at all.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I have a question,

In "First Class," Rose Byrne plays Moira MacTaggert. In the last scenes of the film, Moira and Charles are obviously together as a couple.

If you stayed after the credits for "X-Men: The Last Stand," a comatose patient lies on a hospital bed, and with Xavier's voice he utters, "Hello Moira." This is meant to be the same Moira that Rose Byrne plays in "First Class," correct?

(Sorry if I sound a bit ignorant here)

They are the same character. Moira MacTaggert is a semi-regular character in the comics who has had an on-again/off-again relationship with Xavier.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
They are the same character. Moira MacTaggert is a semi-regular character in the comics who has had an on-again/off-again relationship with Xavier.
Thanks for clarifying