6. Wild Strawberries
  7. The man who knew too much
  8. Smiles of a Summer Night
  9. The gazebo
  10. Stage Fright
  11. Rashomon
  12. La Strada
  13. Twenty four-eyes

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Truth be told, I almost didn't post my list because I'm kind of bummed that a couple of people chose not to watch my movie. I understand that it's not a top-ranked movie, and it was a little hard to find, but I made sure that it was available before nominating it, (on Amazon, on iTunes, on a couple of online sites, and it even aired on TCM during the HoF). I can watch the movies without joining the HoF, but the whole point of joining these HoFs is for people to watch your movie, so it's disappointing when people choose not to watch it.

Now that I got that off my chest, this is my ranked list. I based my ranking on how much I liked the movies, and I ignored the whole issue of whether or not they were "essential" movies.

1) Witness for the Prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1958)
2) The Gazebo (George Marshall, 1959)
3) High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952)
4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1956)
5) Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)
6) Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
7) Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
8) La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
9) Stage Fright (Alfred Hitchcock, 1950)
10) Caged! (John Cromwell, 1950)
11) Smiles of a Summer Night (Ingmar Bergman, 1955)
12) Rashomon (Akira, Kurosawa, 1950)
13) Twenty-Four Eyes (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1954)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well, if you are mad at me, I've watched EVERY film that I've been in a HOF for, but I could not find a reasonable avenue to watch this. I had to spend over $900 to fix my car so money was not going to be an option.

I've never quit a HOF so I don't feel bad about it at all. Sorry that it bugs you.

Well, if you are mad at me, I've watched EVERY film that I've been in a HOF for, but I could not find a reasonable avenue to watch this. I had to spend over $900 to fix my car so money was not going to be an option.

I've never quit a HOF so I don't feel bad about it at all. Sorry that it bugs you.

No, I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just disappointed.

I understand that life sometimes gets in the way, and there may be valid reasons for not watching a HoF movie. It's just upsetting because it feels like the movie wasn't even given a chance. (I knew it wasn't going to do well against the rest of the movies in this HoF, but I would rather have seen it come in dead last with everyone watching it, than come in higher with some people skipping it.)

Hopefully you'll get a chance to see it at a later date. It may not be the same caliber as most of the movies in the HoFs, but it's a very good movie when you give it a chance.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I will try to see it certainly. It wasn't like I was intentionally avoiding it. I know I haven't seen the movie, but it more than likely got more points from me due to averaging than it would have, mainly because I really liked many of these other movies.

I will try to see it certainly. It wasn't like I was intentionally avoiding it. I know I haven't seen the movie, but it more than likely got more points from me due to averaging than it would have, mainly because I really liked many of these other movies.

I know that it wasn't intentional, and you guys weren't "picking on" my nom. It's not about the points it would have gotten because I'm sure it got more points this way. There were some top-rated movies in this HoF.

I'm not holding any grudges against anyone over this. Like I said, it's just disappointing.

I really like Ikiru, I had it at #9 but only because I really loved a lot of the other films, so it had stiff competition.

Just for fun here's my wifes voting list. She watches all the Hof films with me but of course did not send in a list.
Mrs Rules unoffical list:
1 High Noon
2 Ikiru
3 Ace in the Hole
4 Caged
5 Twenty-Four Eyes
6 The Man Who Knew Too Much
7 Witness for the Prosecution
8 Wild Strawberries
9 The Gazebo
10 Stage Fright
11 La Strada
12 Smiles of a Summer Night
13 Rashomon

Here are some of my thoughts on the films. I couldn't say something on all of them and its late and I'm tired.

1 Twenty-Four Eyes
2 La Strada (I no longer hate 8 1/2 but still I don't think it is a good movie though)
3 Ikiru

These three movies were all extremely moving. Twenty-Four Eyes blew me away, primarily because of how much I loved the teacher Hisako Oishi, a perfect person in my book. The ending is one of the greatest "happy-tear" moments in fiction. It even has Auld Lang Syne like It's a Wonderful Life!

4 Smiles of a Summer Night -

I wrote an infamous negative review of Bergman's The Seventh Seal last year. That review no longer represents my thoughts on the film but as I grown to like it since, but only a 6/10 versus a 5/10. I was looking forward to giving Bergman a chance considering how much I loved La Strada and I loved this film as well.

5 The Man Who Knew Too Much -

My nom. Probably Hitch's most suspenseful film.

6 Ace in the Hole -

Characters like Chuck Tatum (Kirk Douglas) are among my favorites. Billy Wilder really has become one of my favorite directors quite rapidly.

7 Rashomon

How can you not love Tajormaru the bandit? He's so funny.

8 Witness for the Prosecution -

I said earlier that I wasn't a big fan of the ending, despite loving everything else, but it grew on me and I ended up liking the ending after all.

9 High Noon
10 The Gazebo
11 State Fright

12 Caged -

Like One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest but with more interesting characters, and therefore a better film for me personally. (In Cuckoo's defense, I did like it.)

13 Wild Strawberries

Despite a great beginning, the film really dragged after that and I never found the Professor, or most of the other characters, that interesting.

The two young men were my favorite characters as they argued about God's existence, foreshadowing internet discussions when they get political.