Ethnic/Racial Movies

Tools    

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
How is it a slap? (I haven't seen it, either.)
Actually, I should have said the movie and the marketing thereof were a slap in the face to all Native Americans… but I think Chief Roy Crazy Horse and American Indian journalist, Tim Giago, have both explained it better then I could…

In 1995, Roy Disney decided to release an animated movie about a Powhatan woman known as "Pocahontas". In answer to a complaint by the Powhatan Nation, he claims the film is "responsible, accurate, and respectful."

We of the Powhatan Nation disagree. The film distorts history beyond recognition. Our offers to assist Disney with cultural and historical accuracy were rejected. Our efforts urging him to reconsider his misguided mission were spurred.

"Pocahontas" was a nickname, meaning "the naughty one" or "spoiled child". Her real name was Matoaka. The legend is that she saved a heroic John Smith from being clubbed to death by her father in 1607 - she would have been about 10 or 11 at the time. The truth is that Smith's fellow colonists described him as an abrasive, ambitious, self-promoting mercenary soldier.

Of all of Powhatan's children, only "Pocahontas" is known, primarily because she became the hero of Euro-Americans as the "good Indian", one who saved the life of a white man. Not only is the "good Indian/bad Indian theme" inevitably given new life by Disney, but the history, as recorded by the English themselves, is badly falsified in the name of "entertainment".

The truth of the matter is that the first time John Smith told the story about this rescue was 17 years after it happened, and it was but one of three reported by the pretentious Smith that he was saved from death by a prominent woman.

Yet in an account Smith wrote after his winter stay with Powhatan's people, he never mentioned such an incident. In fact, the starving adventurer reported he had been kept comfortable and treated in a friendly fashion as an honored guest of Powhatan and Powhatan's brothers. Most scholars think the "Pocahontas incident" would have been highly unlikely, especially since it was part of a longer account used as justification to wage war on Powhatan's Nation.

Euro-Americans must ask themselves why it has been so important to elevate Smith's fibbing to status as a national myth worthy of being recycled again by Disney. Disney even improves upon it by changing Pocahontas from a little girl into a young woman.

The true Pocahontas story has a sad ending. In 1612, at the age of 17, Pocahontas was treacherously taken prisoner by the English while she was on a social visit, and was held hostage at Jamestown for over a year.

During her captivity, a 28-year-old widower named John Rolfe took a "special interest" in the attractive young prisoner. As a condition of her release, she agreed to marry Rolfe, who the world can thank for commercializing tobacco. Thus, in April 1614, Matoaka, also known as "Pocahontas", daughter of Chief Powhatan, became "Rebecca Rolfe". Shortly after, they had a son, whom they named Thomas Rolfe. The descendants of Pocahontas and John Rolfe were known as the "Red Rolfes."

Two years later on the spring of 1616, Rolfe took her to England where the Virginia Company of London used her in their propaganda campaign to support the colony. She was wined and dined and taken to theaters. It was recorded that on one occasion when she encountered John Smith (who was also in London at the time), she was so furious with him that she turned her back to him, hid her face, and went off by herself for several hours. Later, in a second encounter, she called him a liar and showed him the door.

Rolfe, his young wife, and their son set off for Virginia in March of 1617, but "Rebecca" had to be taken off the ship at Gravesend. She died there on March 21, 1617, at the age of 21. She was buried at Gravesend, but the grave was destroyed in a reconstruction of the church. It was only after her death and her fame in London society that Smith found it convenient to invent the yarn that she had rescued him.

History tells the rest. Chief Powhatan died the following spring of 1618. The people of Smith and Rolfe turned upon the people who had shared their resources with them and had shown them friendship. During Pocahontas' generation, Powhatan's people were decimated and dispersed and their lands were taken over. A clear pattern had been set which would soon spread across the American continent.

Chief Roy Crazy Horse

It is unfortunate that this sad story,
which Euro-Americans should find embarrassing,
Disney makes "entertainment" and perpetuates a dishonest and self-serving myth
at the expense of the Powhatan Nation.

Source: http://www.powhatan.org/pocc.html ]Powhatan Renape Nation[/url]
'Pocahontas' is a mean-spirited lie

by Tim Giago

I really didn't want to do it. But since the national media has made such to do about it - and as an American Indian journalist - I feel it is necessary to get my two cents into the hype.

People magazine displayed its special brand of ignorance with a cutline under the photo of Pocahontas that read: "Pocahontas: the squaw that stirs the drink; at last, a heroine who knows the ways of nature and the art of belting show tunes."

There is not an American Indian woman alive in this land who is not immediately repulsed by the word squaw. It is the literal translation of an Algonquin word referring to a woman's private parts. As the mostly male settlers moved west, they brought this word with them and used it to describe all Indian women, relegating them to nothing more than whores.

And yet we have places like Squaw Valley in California and Squaw Peak in Phoenix. The original name of Squaw Peak, and, please forgive me for being so blunt, was Squaw Tit Peak. It seems some Christians were highly offended by the word tit, so they had it dropped from the map. Isn't it strange they left in the other sexually explicit word?

Burger King decided to get into the Pocahontas bonanza with a commercial that went something like this: "After seeing Pocahontas, all kids want to be John Smith."

Interviewed on local television, one Indian woman said, and, I'm sure her simple deductions are accepted by most white and black Americans, "It is only a movie with cartoon characters, not a documentary."

This supposedly explains away the historical inaccuracies and the Hollywoodizing of a real event. Little Black Sambo was just a cartoon character, too, but he was found to be a very repugnant cartoon character by most African Americans. When is the last time you saw this repulsive character on television or in the movies?

Creating a cartoon character based on a real human being, a member of a minority race to boot, does not excuse the historical largesse taken by the Disney people. Is it all right to give children a skewed version of history?

Many Indian women found the cartoon character of Pocahontas very un-Indian like. Her figure was sketched from memories of a white woman's body. Her attire was most suggestive and not accurately based on what the Indian women of that century wore.

As one Hispanic woman put it, "She sees John Smith, pursues him and basically attacks him. She also slithers and crawls around like a sex kitten. What is this telling the general public about Indian women?" It's telling them that Indian women are, indeed, "squaws."

The theme music repeatedly refers to Indians as savages. Savage is a name Indians have had to live with from the day the first book was written about them.

Would any movie made today have a theme song that referred to African Americans as niggers? The word savage has similar meanings to American Indians.

Most Indian people interviewed after emerging from the theater in Rapid City, S.D., were totally turned off by the movie.

It's a travesty that a once-powerful Indian activist like Russell Means touts the movie as the best thing ever done on Indians. Mr. Means has become a typical actor by deed and lifestyle. His main concern today is the bottom line: How much am I going to get paid? When it comes to taking parts in movies, any part, his actions speak louder than words.

Have any of my readers seen him in Wagons East or Natural Born Killers? In one he plays an idiot in a war bonnet and in the other he desecrates a sacred rite of the Navajo people.
Everybody who knew Russell when he was an activist believed he was acting even back then. Now we all know for sure. This is one case of the white man's dollar turning an activist into a pussy cat. Can you see a Huey Newton or a Malcolm X - if they were alive today - selling out to play a stereotypical black man for the sake of a few pieces of silver?

Not in this lifetime.

I know, lighten up, but hey, I guess I'm entitled to say whether I like a movie or not and why. No one has to agree with me because I certainly am not a bona fide movie critic.
No. I'm just an American Indian journalist who detests seeing Indians denigrated in cartoons and history distorted by the Disney folks.
I'll just fade into the darkness as the cartoon characters sing, "I'll kill myself an Indian, maybe two or three." Of course, if the words were changed to, "I'll just kill myself a white man, maybe two or three," the mass media would raise a stink.

Such a wonderful lesson for the little tykes.

(Born on the Pine Ridge Reservation, Tim Giago is publisher of Indian Country Today, where this column originally appeared, as well as a syndicated columnist. He works in Rapid City, South Dakota)

Source: High Country News

Originally Posted by gummo
I was thinking of this movie because of the issue of whites vs native americans...the unfair treatment of native americans. I saw this movie as more of an issue of ignorance of the whites to the Native community and the portrayal of the Powhatans is the exact ignorance I am talking about. You are right, Lance and Caity, this movie is an inaccurate portrayal, and strays from the "true story". But before watching this movie, tell the people to consider how the movie is depicting the natives inaccurately....do you understand what I mean?
I see where you're coming from… and under those circumstances, I understand and agree with your choice… particularly if it would spark an interest in the 'bloodless' genocide that is still taking place today against Native Americans…

Sorry about the "GG" post...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Female assassin extraordinaire.
re: birth of a nation (not that it isn't valid, i just suddenly got the visuals from school screenings and how extreme they were)

Glory (1989) Concerns the first black volunteer company during the American Civil War. Rating PG. It's an excellant movie.
Go Glory! Excellent flick. However if you're appealing to a teen demographic you may have issues. Most people don't like war movies, particularly pre-vietnam movies, and not because they don't like violence/fighting - it just seems plain boring. that's not MY personal opinion, just my memory of teenagers falling asleep in class while we watched it.

And yes, the one i bear a flag for - the Color Purple - which I do believe was pg13. It had nothing on what today's pg-13 films have. but this is an extremely intense, also depressing, movie that teens also may be more disturbed by. then again if you don't care about whether they're disturbed, go for it.

also, Romper Stomper. One of Russell Crowe's first films. Set in Down Under, neo-naziism is featured (and the attack against non-aryans in a fast-growing immigrant society). very violent, very intense. you realize why Crowe has it in him to be Marlon Brando-level. beatings and outright racism ensue. comparitive with American History X - before the "recovery phase." came out before that one.

i'm not sure teens would last with Au Revoir, Les Enfants. However, the story is intensely beautiful and touching, and the protagonists are preteens. Jewish versus the Nazi invasion, in the 1930s. If your audience can get past the subtitles and period setting, i'd say this is a keeper.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by thmilin
Most people don't like war movies, particularly pre-vietnam movies, and not because they don't like violence/fighting - it just seems plain boring.
Is this really the case? I would never say that I like a film automatically just because it's about war. But many of my favourite films are war films. And isn't the interest for WWII, for instance, bigger than in a long time? It seems that way, at least.

I don't know why many people, or at least many men, are so fascinated with war films. It might have to do with that they in some ways deal with really big essentialist issues in a pretty simple and actionpacked way. It's interesting how the fight for the high ideals and values somehow always seems to bring out not only the best but also the worst in man.

I just saw Cross of Iron (1977 - Sam Peckinpah) and Sgt. Steiner (James Coburn) nails it in a little speech when he releases the captured russian kid he was ordered to shoot. A man fighting for Nazi Germany and a kid fighting for Stalinist Soviet Union:

It's all an accident.
An accident of hands,
mine... other's...
All without mind.
One extreme to another.
And neither works.
Nor will ever.
Here we stand in the middle.
In No Man's Land, you and I.
Go home. Go home!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Actually, I should have said the movie and the marketing thereof were a slap in the face to all Native Americans… but I think Chief Roy Crazy Horse and American Indian journalist, Tim Giago, have both explained it better then I could…
Very interesting reading, Cait.

I have never seen Disney's Pochahontas. I am somewhat familiar with the myththough but I have always considered it to be nothing more than that - a myth, and therefore rather insignificant for my understanding of the American Indians. However, these articles that Cait posted show why the myth is important in the understanding of how the image of the Indians is being depicted by the "dominating ideology", now and then.

I know that you, just as I do, like Last of the Mohicans a lot, Cait. How would you say that that film differs from Pochahontas in the way it depicts Indians? I don't know how much bigger percentage of truth the one story has got compared to the other, but the way they're being told to us I'm sure we can agree on that they're both mostly fiction. In Last of the Mohicans we too have the "good Indian - bad Indian" conflict. Aren't there any stereotypes in Michael Mann's film? Is he depicting the Native Americans more respectfully and truthfully than Disney does?

I saw Dances with Wolves again yesterday. Now when reading this thread and thinking about Last of the Mohicans it struck me that there might be a typical way of depicting good Indians and evil Indians and giving them features which are meant to make it easier for the audience to seperate the two categories from each other. Has anyone else thought about that?

You have yet to see my masterpiece
Does anyone reallly think that crash deserved an Oscar, to me it was like Nepolian Dynimate instred of a comdey it was a dama

Originally Posted by John_Doe
Does anyone reallly think that crash deserved an Oscar, to me it was like Nepolian Dynimate instred of a comdey it was a dama
When I've seen all the other nominees I'll tell you if it deserved an Oscar. I thought it was a mediocre film though and it didn't impress me.

Loved Napoleon Dynamite though...

You have yet to see my masterpiece
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
When I've seen all the other nominees I'll tell you if it deserved an Oscar. I thought it was a mediocre film though and it didn't impress me.

Loved Napoleon Dynamite though...
* Spoiler Warning about crash*
I tihnk that the reason that won an oscar is becasue of that sceane with the little girl where she almost gets shot.

So many good movies, so little time.
IIn Last of the Mohicans we too have the "good Indian - bad Indian" conflict. Aren't there any stereotypes in Michael Mann's film? Is he depicting the Native Americans more respectfully and truthfully than Disney does?
I don't really think there was a very negative portrayal of Native Americans in <i>Last of the Mohicans</i>. I think that Magua can be looked as as a hero, a patriot. The other Indians who work with the French and the English can be looked on as collaborators.

Although Wes Studi looks mean in the movie he is actually portrayed in a pretty sympathetic light. His children were killed by the British. He was made a slave. When he was finally freed he went back to his wife and she had married some one else.

I think Magua comes off better than the English when you really look at it closely.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by uconjack
I don't really think there was a very negative portrayal of Native Americans in <i>Last of the Mohicans</i>. I think that Magua can be looked as as a hero, a patriot. The other Indians who work with the French and the English can be looked on as collaborators.

Although Wes Studi looks mean in the movie he is actually portrayed in a pretty sympathetic light. His children were killed by the British. He was made a slave. When he was finally freed he went back to his wife and she had married some one else.

I think Magua comes off better than the English when you really look at it closely.
Yes, viewed from where we stand now at least his actions were more understandable. But he collaborated with the French and in doing so he indirectly betrayed his people, and he did it for the sake of his own personal revenge. So, he's not exactly a patriot even if it was of course impossible for him to foresee what was going to happen to all the Native American people.

I just thought about that the Hurons the Magua belonged to and the Pawnees in Dances with Wolves look in a similar way. I just wondered if this is what "bad Indians" look like in the movies while "good Indians" look like Wind in Hair or Uncas.

Yes, viewed from where we stand now at least his actions were more understandable. But he collaborated with the French and in doing so he indirectly betrayed his people, and he did it for the sake of his own personal revenge. So, he's not exactly a patriot even if it was of course impossible for him to foresee what was going to happen to all the Native American people.

I think Magua has a pretty good view of what is going on. He used the French for revenge but has a pretty good view of the whole picture. The Native Americans had a dilemma. If they didn't cooperate with some group of whites they wouldn't have been able to obtain weapons and would have been wiped out by their enemies. Even though he has an evil scowl on his face I think Magua (and Scar in The Searchers) are portrayed in a pretty positive light.

MAGUA: No. [to Sachem] Huron serve no one. The French father believes he fooled Magua because he is so proud of his cleverness, he is blind. But it is the Huron path that Magua walks down, not the French one ... Now, Les Francais, also, fear Huron. That is good. When the Huron is strong from their fear, we will make the terms of trade with Les Francais. And we will trade as the white man trades. Take land from the Abnakes; fur from the Osage, Sauk & Fox. And make the Huron great. Over other tribes. No less than the whites, as strong as the whites.

I just thought about that the Hurons the Magua belonged to and the Pawnees in Dances with Wolves look in a similar way. I just wondered if this is what "bad Indians" look like in the movies while "good Indians" look like Wind in Hair or Uncas.
I agree completely that the Indians in these movies are portrayed in different lights so that the audience can identify with the good Indians. But I also thought both movies did a pretty good job of not villifying the "bad" Indians (Wes Studi in both movies) even though he was made to look meaner for the audience.

I think Magua has a pretty good view of what is going on. He used the French for revenge but has a pretty good view of the whole picture. The Native Americans had a dilemma. If they didn't cooperate with some group of whites they wouldn't have been able to obtain weapons and would have been wiped out by their enemies. Even though he has an evil scowl on his face I think Magua (and Scar in The Searchers) are portrayed in a pretty positive light.

MAGUA: No. [to Sachem] Huron serve no one. The French father believes he fooled Magua because he is so proud of his cleverness, he is blind. But it is the Huron path that Magua walks down, not the French one ... Now, Les Francais, also, fear Huron. That is good. When the Huron is strong from their fear, we will make the terms of trade with Les Francais. And we will trade as the white man trades. Take land from the Abnakes; fur from the Osage, Sauk & Fox. And make the Huron great. Over other tribes. No less than the whites, as strong as the whites.

Good post. You're right. Still I think Magua is portraited in a negative light in the sense that he represents someone who has been mistreated and therefore, like the French and the English, wants to defeat and dominate other people. What I think is good in The Last of the Mohicans is that Mann is letting Magua be a symbol for the consequences of the actions of the colonizers. In Dances with Wolves, a film which I also enjoy watching, the Pawnees are portraited in a way that implicitly suggests that they are being bad by nature. On the other hand, Dances with Wolves is a film in which it takes on average around three seconds to decide whether a character is good or bad. The film has other qualities though.

I agree completely that the Indians in these movies are portrayed in different lights so that the audience can identify with the good Indians. But I also thought both movies did a pretty good job of not villifying the "bad" Indians (Wes Studi in both movies) even though he was made to look meaner for the audience.
Actually, I do think that this was the case at least in Dances with Wolves. But that was the case with the bad white guys as well. There is no difficulty in figuring out who of the soldiers that you are supposed to feel sympathy with, and towards who you should feel dislike.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Is this really the case? I would never say that I like a film automatically just because it's about war. But many of my favourite films are war films. And isn't the interest for WWII, for instance, bigger than in a long time? It seems that way, at least.
it's more about disliking the venue/aura. even war films aren't generally about the war, it's like, a particular group's story within the war, or a particular nation's struggle, etc. but many younger people have an aversion to it because they know the film is going to potentially drag them through a lot of emotion, trauma, trying questions, and images. it's not necessarily that a man might get blown up - it's more that they know there will be a lot of shouting, military jargon, discussions of rendezvous coordinates, protocol from the military world, politics, etc.

most teens can't relate to that, not that they couldn't learn to appreciate a story that's being told. it's really just the setting. take the struggle of two brothers in the same war fighting in a meaningless situation, and switch it to two brothers in a gang fighting because their gang and society around them expect them to. change the situation, and people might be willing to watch the same tale.

same goes for our discussion elsewhere on the boards - some people might just dislike anime. don't like seeing animated characters, would rather see live people. some people hate period pieces, the old values, different mannerisms, different speech. they just can't get past the packaging enough to enjoy the tale.

war films happen to be a big flag there. films with subtitles, too.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
An interesting start and point of reference might be Birth of a Nation...
Hahaha. I remember watching that whole movie at school when we were learing about early filming. I could have jumped off a building it was sooooo boring.

I do respect Birth of a Nation for being the first film and being very influentual, and that actually is a good recommendation. But I would be surprised if his group could sit through it. I did, but still have the scars.

But anyway, I am pretty sure you can get editted versions of the PG-13 movies already named by everybody. In the editted versions, the editting just creates the movie from a PG-13 to a PG. If you are interested, just go to a movie store or video rental store and ask for the editted version of the movie you want.

I had to watch Dances with Wolves again to see if their portrayal of the Pawnees was as bad as it seemed. What I found was that it was only because we viewed the Pawnees from the closed in world of the Sioux that the Pawnees were considered as villains. When looked at objectively, the Pawnees were no better or no worse than the Sioux. Wes Studi was a fierce looking warrior and he did wear a scowl on his face but he was actually a brave, noble warrior. When his fellow warriors were apprehensive about approaching the supply wagon, he said, “I would rather die then argue about a single line of smoke in my own country.”
Dunbar later says, “From what little I gather the Pawnees have been very hard on these people”. Hardly an incrimination of a people who the Sioux had probably been very hard on also. As a matter of fact the Sioux set out on a war party against the Pawnees before their village is attacked.
When the Pawnees attack the village the warrior played by Wes Studi has only a war club. This would have been considered a very honorable weapon to use in a culture where counting coup was valued more highly than killing an enemy. When he is surrounded at the end of the attack he bravely shouts in the face of death and then is shot down in what can be considered a cowardly manner by the Sioux.
If we are going to select an villain (besides the US Calvary) I would have to select Dunbar. It was he who equipped the Sioux with rifles, corrupting the way battles had been traditionally been fought between the two tribes. “Even the old men could not remember such a one sided victory.” With the introduction of firearms the traditional battles between the tribes escalated from largely ceremonial encounters to bloodbaths.

Very interesting reading, Cait.

I have never seen Disney's Pochahontas. I am somewhat familiar with the myththough but I have always considered it to be nothing more than that - a myth, and therefore rather insignificant for my understanding of the American Indians. However, these articles that Cait posted show why the myth is important in the understanding of how the image of the Indians is being depicted by the "dominating ideology", now and then.

I know that you, just as I do, like Last of the Mohicans a lot, Cait. How would you say that that film differs from Pochahontas in the way it depicts Indians? I don't know how much bigger percentage of truth the one story has got compared to the other, but the way they're being told to us I'm sure we can agree on that they're both mostly fiction. In Last of the Mohicans we too have the "good Indian - bad Indian" conflict. Aren't there any stereotypes in Michael Mann's film? Is he depicting the Native Americans more respectfully and truthfully than Disney does?
Both Pocahontas and The Last of the Mohicans are fiction… but basing my opinion on the few chips I've seen and what I have read about PocahontasThe Last of the Mohicans shows a much greater understanding of Native Americans and their culture… and it is rather obvious that Mann made an effort to depict the Indians as factual as possible… not only in their dress but actions…

The interesting thing I see in Mohicans, is that, like uconjack stated, Magua was, in one sense, a hero… and when looked at from that perspective, Colonel Munro becomes the bad guy… and it's rather obvious he was not English… but Scottish or Irish… and the main English character, Major Duncan Heyward, can, in the end, only be seen in a heroic light…

Interesting points about Munro being Irish and Duncan being English. It was a pretty long while since I saw the film but when I think about the different characters it's actually hard to find any clearly defined "heroes" or "villains" in the movie, except of course for Hawkeye (was that really his name in the movie?? I'd totally forgotten that), the Munro sisters, Chingachgook and Uncas. Those are obviously the good guys all the way through with the right set of values and morals. Magua, as several of you guys have pointed out to me, is the bad guy of the plot, so to speak, but putting his character into a larger context, which Mann somewhat does, he's not really a villain. Major Duncan, as Caity just pointed out, is looking like a bad guy at first but turns out to be very brave as he sacrifices his own life to save other lives. To me Colonel Munro is not really a villain either. He did what he believed to be the right thing and not because of hate or ill will. He's actually portraited as a nice and decent man.

When you think of it, isn't this a bit typical of Michael Mann? To have the different characters be bad with good sides, or good with bad sides? The Last of the Mohicans is a romantic adventure on the surface but actually pretty complex underneath. Damn, I have to see it right away! I think we just proved why Michael Mann is such a kickass director!

Originally Posted by Godsend
Ahoy folks, I have a request.

At school I'm starting a little something called "Dinner and a Movie". The idea behind this is that I'm in a diversity club and we basically share diversity and what not. Well the club has been lacking and I came up with this brilliant idea~!

Anywho, the idea is that we present a movie every other month that showcases ethnic related problems/issues in the US, or a movie that promotes well being among diversity and what not. It can be a bunch of things to be honest.

What I'm asking of you guys is to comprise a list of movies you find to be touching the theme I provided above. An exame would be Remember the Titans We have to keep it PG-13 and under as well. That's going to be the biggest pain.

So far I've got:

Remember the Titans
Hotel Rwanda
Gandhi (Haven't seen it)
School Ties (haven't seen it)
Coach Carter

Once again, we're targeting teens. So we have to get something that is both acceptable by them and by the schoo. Nothing like Schindler's List or American History X

Anymore help would be great guys.

I think the movie is called "Glory Road" and its about a basketball team in the time of the civil rights movments and its pg-13 and its pretty good

What about "The War" with Kevin Costner ... there are racial issues in it.