Joel and Ethan Coen's True Grit

Tools    

What's the point of redoing it? Well, the original is pretty dated. It's not very suspenseful to these modern eyes. The Coen brothers are phenomenal at suspense (Blood Simple, No Country For Old Men). The cinematography looks fantastic. It looks awesome and I'm very excited to see it.

Semper Fooey
I don't think the original is dated. There seems to be a lot of people who are not impressed with it and I think it is a near great western.

What's the point of redoing it? Well, the original is pretty dated.
For the movie fans who give in to the idea that old=bad and new=good, I offer my standing Mr. Deeds arguement: Gary Cooper vs. Adam Sander. Gary Cooper wins, hands down.
>

Not saying the new version won't be good. Just saying that just because something's old doesn't mean it's bad, and new isn't always better.

What bugs me about the these "updates" is that when the makers think they can do a better job..
Like the Coens said that their version will be more faithful to the novel..

I have never read the novel myself, but I have read it's description that Rooster never wore an eyepatch in it.

No country for old men was suspenseful??
I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie.

For the movie fans who give in to the idea that old=bad and new=good, I offer my standing Mr. Deeds arguement: Gary Cooper vs. Adam Sander. Gary Cooper wins, hands down.
>

Not saying the new version won't be good. Just saying that just because something's old doesn't mean it's bad, and new isn't always better.
Oh no, you're absolutely right. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better. I was a big fan of Cheaper by the Dozen as a kid, and look at the craptacular mess that was made of that movie when it was updated.

However, just because it's new doesn't mean it will be worse either. I do have faith in the Coen brothers to do a good job with True Grit.

I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie.
I get that, I hate bad seats while watching movies as well..

BTW You had faith in them when they did Ladykillers as well?

I respect a man with faith, keep it up.

I get that, I hate bad seats while watching movies as well..

BTW You had faith in them when they did Ladykillers as well?

I respect a man with faith, keep it up.
Ladykillers was a different kind of movie, but to be honest, I never saw it.

I'm not going to have to google "suspense" for you, am I?

Semper Fooey
It's not out yet so I don't have an opinion except it is clearly not going to be radically different from the Wayne.

Filmmakers love to justify their remakes by claiming to be more faithful to the original and they always lie. The Frances Ford Coppola Dracula was not a more faithful re-telling of the Bram Stoker novel despite his claim.

Ladykillers was a different kind of movie, but to be honest, I never saw it.

I'm not going to have to google "suspense" for you, am I?
Type of movie doesn't count here, we are talking about dated movies getting updated.

BTW I didn't find No Country for Old Men suspenseful.. thriller maybe.
Just can't recall anything suspenseful in it

Type of movie doesn't count here, we are talking about dated movies getting updated.

BTW I didn't find No Country for Old Men suspenseful.. thriller maybe.
Just can't recall anything suspenseful in it
I was talking in particular about the Coen brothers and their track record with this type of film, which is pretty good, IMHO. Ladykillers is a different type of film.

BTW, suspense is one of the elements used in thrillers. In any case, I found No Country to be very suspenseful.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The question I have is if it does big business will they remake

Anyway, people redo plays, musicals and operas all the time. Sure, it's live, so it kind of has to be redone, but they also try different things. "Oooh! Let's do MacBeth in outer space!" (actually saw that once).

There's nothing so sacred about movies that they can't be redone, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. The only difference is, it's really effing expensive.

I was talking in particular about the Coen brothers and their track record with this type of film, which is pretty good, IMHO. Ladykillers is a different type of film.
How is Ladykillers a different type film from what Coens have done??
They have done Fargo, Big Lebowski, Hudsucker Proxy, Intolerable Cruelty.. all of which are dark comedies.. they have all recieved good reaction..

So how is Ladykillers a different film from the other stuff Coens have done?

How is Ladykillers a different type film from what Coens have done??
They have done Fargo, Big Lebowski, Hudsucker Proxy, Intolerable Cruelty.. all of which are dark comedies.. they have all recieved good reaction..

So how is Ladykillers a different film from the other stuff Coens have done?
I'm talking about the genre. No Country for Old Men and Blood Simple were not dark comedies.

You mentioned track record "with this type of film"??

Are you saying Blood Simple & NCFOM are the only hits Coens had??
So when they have a considerably good track record with comedies, how can you say Ladykillers was a different kind of film?

You mentioned track record "with this type of film"??

Are you saying Blood Simple & NCFOM are the only hits Coens had??
So when they have a considerably good track record with comedies, how can you say Ladykillers was a different kind of film?
"This type of film" being "suspenseful films". They have a good track record with suspenseful films like NCFOM and Blood Simple.

I love most of their dark comedies too, but I was talking specifically about their suspenseful films.

I don't know how to make it any plainer.