The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mark will hate me, but I wasn't all that thrilled with War and Peace when I saw it a year or two ago. There's many epics that I prefer over that one.

Lawrence of Arabia however was number 17 on my list and it is a film that I need to see again soon.

Films from my list that did not make the cut:

10. Simon of the Desert

My favorite Bunuel film of the decade, and the only to make my list. Kinda shocked Exterminating Angel didn't make this one. I'm sure I'm the only one who had this on my list, but it's pretty underseen. Hilarious film.

13.The House is Black (1963)
14.Byt (1968)
15.Pas De Deux (1968)
17.Junior and Karlson (1968)

I had five shorts on my list, La Jetee made it, these four did not. A depressing and powerful persian documentary, a Svankmajer masterpiece (pictured), a stunning piece of ballet, and a funny Russian cartoon.

18. The Odd Couple

A funny and charming comedy, one of the funniest from the 60s, Lemmon is hilarious in this.

22. La collectionneuse

I like this much more than the Rohmer film that did make it, My Night at Mauds

25. The Face of Another

Shocked this didn't show up especially considering the extremely high placement of Woman in the Dunes

I did not vote for Lawrence of Arabia. But I am shocked it is only at number 7. I would have thought it would have been a spot or two higher.

As for my two films that I know will not make it...

My number two was The Producers.

One of the funniest films Mel Brooks has ever made, and easily one of the funniest films period. Between the chemistry between Gene and Zero as Leo Bloom and Max Bialystock, the delightful Kenneth Mars as Franz Liebkind, and Dick Shawn as LSD makes me split my side. Especially during the show stopping Springtime for Hitler. So un-PC and I love it. I am sad it did not make the list.

My number 17 was Sanjuro.

If this was going to make it would have been toward the bottom of the list. Once we got high enough I pretty much new it was not going to make it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That moment when you spoil the whole film in one GIF.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

As I mentioned, I too was a little surprised that Lawrence of Arabia was 7, but it makes sense with the 6 films above it. They seem to be more loved on a personal level here. All of the top 7 scored huge points, so I wouldn't be too downhearted by it being a space or two lower than you may have imagined.

Also, did that ruin everyone's predictions, yeah?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What if The Graduate doesn't make it at all?! Now that would be a surprise!

I would have never thought The Graduate would be higher than Arabia.
Now this one actually does not surprise me, well maybe it being higher than LOA, but making the top ten, nope... when you think about it it's a film that's massively loved by a lot on here, in particular it seems to be really appreciated by the young people. Off the top of my head I can only name Cobpyth as a fellow young lover of it, but I know there's much more. Then there's the "old guard" that love it too, Mark gives it four and a half stars. I think it manages to connect with some people, I know a lot of people on here are young like me, growing up and making important decisions in life and see movies as often an existential and philosophical experience, and I think a lot of people see Benjamin in themselves.

Edit: Well I spoiled that, Minio

Master of My Domain
Off the top of my head I can only name Cobpyth as a fellow young lover of it, but I know there's much more. Then there's the "old guard" that love it too, Mark gives it four and a half stars.
You people are always leaving me out in everything.

Of course The Graduate is gonna be high on this list! Shame on you, those who didn't think so!

Tell Sexy Celebrity we're waiting for his top six prediction.
Wait a minute -- Daniel M???

As in my son, Daniel Michaels? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! You never told me you were a member here! Shame on you!

22. La collectionneuse
I like this much more than the Rohmer film that did make it, My Night at Mauds
Me too. Still didn't vote for it, though.

I had Lawrence of Arabia at #2. A grand film.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Well, okay......

If we judge the order by the banner poster.....

You'll note that Lawrence of Arabia is way over at the bottom right, signifying that it was gonna be low -- as it was -- at #7.

The Graduate is above it -- so it's probably gonna be #6.

Then there's a random James Bond thing above that to throw us off track and perhaps to signify films #5 and #4.

But go over to the left and the order is, starting from the bottom -- 2001 (possibly #3?), followed by Psycho above it (possibly #2), and then The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is right above that (possibly meaning it's the #1 movie?)

Let's consider the possibility that Daniel M designed this banner poster with the hope that maybe I'll throw in a Sexy Celebrity conspiracy about it.

That could be it. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly could be #1, with Psycho as #2 and 2001 as #3.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's the rest of the ones in my Top 30 that aren't going to make it - or perhaps did if they were #26-30.

War and Peace (Sergei Bondarchuk, 1967)
This is a true rarity: a film which tells a gargantuan story, based on a nation's most-popular/important novel, which expands the envelope of cinema on several levels. As enormous as much of the film is, it never strays too far from the story of its three central characters: Natasha (Lyudmila Savelyeva), a young, highly-emotional girl who feels strongly for her first love; Prince Andrei (Vyacheslav Tikhonov) who proposes to her but reneges when she acts foolishly; and Pierre (director Bondarchuk), her married cousin, who has always loved her and wishes to correct a mistake. The film is mind-boggling and a totally-personal triumph for the director. The battle scenes have probably never been equaled, and the camerawork is creatively-luxuriant and bends to the stories' necessities. It truly is among the most spectacular films ever made, but Bondarchuk can even turn a simple scene into an emotional apocalypse through subtle photography, sound design and music. In fact, there are so many folk songs sung by many of the characters that it occasionally seems to be a haunting musical. This film may well be vastly underrated by me, but if you get a chance to watch it, try to see the Russian DVD (Ruscico); the rest of those on the market greatly reduce its power.
Alfie (Lewis Gilbert, 1966)
Star-making performance by Michael Caine as the womanizing Alfie is just the topper of a truly awesome film, overflowing with memorable situations, dialogue and characters. Caine talks to the camera and it has never worked better before or since. Director Lewis Gilbert was a veteran, but he seems to be caught up in some interesting filmmaking techniques inspired by the Swingin' Sixties which all add to the humor and pathos of this sparkling adaptation of Bill Naughton's play. Alfie's putdowns of females in general are both hateful and hilarious, but just as happened to Archie Bunker in the 1970s, he is exposed for what he is. Oops! I almost forgot the cool Sonny Rollins jazz score.
The Pawnbroker (Sidney Lumet, 1965)
Lumet's powerful treatise on how memory keeps alive the Holocaust within the dead soul of pawnbroker Sol Nazerman (Rod Steiger in one of cinema's greatest performances) even while he's living in the heart of Harlem where almost all the people are bought and sold in the marketplace by pimps and gangsters in a universe not that different from a concentration camp. Nazerman believes he's above all the ugliness he surrounds himself with because he just doesn't care, yet things at work and outside of it keep bringing him back to the past where he lost his beautiful wife and two children during WWII. He takes on an apprentice (the wonderful Jaime Sanchez) and tries to teach him how to learn a career but Nazerman's ghosts rear their heads and cause him to turn on the young man with horrible, yet perhaps, soul-saving results. The supporting cast is highly-unusual and terrific (Brock Peters, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Thelma Oliver, Reni Santoni, Raymond St. Jacques, Baruch Lumet, Warren Finnerty, and the mind-blowing Juano Hernandez). The Pawnbroker is a truly unique film which is still powerful today, not only on a human level but as an American piece of cinema which borrows some editing techniques from Alain Resnais and makes them connect with the viewer in an incredibly visceral way, almost as a precursor to the brilliant editing found four years later in Midnight Cowboy.
One, Two, Three (Billy Wilder, 1961)
Machine-gun-paced Cold War comedy covers just about everything one could think of, not just what was happening in the divided city of Berlin at the time. James Cagney is a marvel as a Coca-Cola executive who has to "babysit" his boss's teenage daughter (Pamela Tiffin) and gets several headaches when she marries a young "Bolshevik" (Horst Buchholz) from East Berlin. The young woman's family is also on the way to Berlin to pick up their daughter, so Cagney has little time to straighten things out. There is also the usual high quota of sex jokes from scripters I.A.L. Diamond and Billy Wilder and a smart musical score which incorporates Khatchaturyan's "Sabre Dance". It's almost impossible to describe how fast the dialogue flies by as everyone speaks as quickly as possible and the plot twists come at such a frantic pace. Don't expect to go to the kitchen or the bathroom with the movie playing because you'll miss about 20 visual or verbal jokes a minute. Of course, the better-versed you are in the world history and popular culture of 1961, the more fun you'll have watching this terrific comedy, but it's also a great way to learn some of those things in between all the laughs.
#23. Tom Jones (Tony Richardson, 1963)
#24. The Professionals (Richard Brooks, 1966)
#25. Romeo and Juliet (Franco Zefferelli, 1968)
#26-30 (unranked)
Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969) [38]
One-Eyed Jacks (Marlon Brando, 1961)
A Hard Day’s Night (Richard Lester, 1964) [53]
Morgan! (Karel Reisz, 1966)
The Collector (William Wyler, 1965)