movie titles: bad translations!

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
hei, when they get perfect free translator softwares... i'm gonna lose my job, so that's better for me (not that i translate much better, some would say... )

Boondock Saints for some strange reason (maybe the translator didn't watch the movie) in mexico came as El Quinto Infierno, which means The Fifth Hell.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Pato_Diablo
snatch ....... cerdos y diamantes (pigs and diamonds)
In all fairness, that was a tough one to translate .

(Although i always think of something else when i see that title).

---

Look out tho Froggy. We've got a devil duck in town. Maybe he's here to take away your non-native-english-speaking-english-speaker crown. [Hah, translate that ].

District B13
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
My favorite ever is the Japanese title for Leaving Las Vegas, which translates back as I'm Drunk and You're a Prostitute.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
My favorite ever is the Japanese title for Leaving Las Vegas, which translates back as I'm Drunk and You're a Prostitute.
this one made it for me. I can't stop laughing.

intolerable cruelty - croatian: divorce me, seduce me...( wtf?!)
o brother, where art thou - croatian: who's crazy here? ( grrr!!!)
whole nine yards ( ok, this WAS a bit difficult since we don't know much about football and don't have yards ) - croatian: the killer with a soft heart
snatch - croatian: take it and run
meet the parents - croatian:a licence to marrie ( and this was really easy to translate literally!)
meet the fockers - croatian: a licence for the fockers(w....t......f...?!?!?!)

here's more:
what dreams may come - i will dream awake
notting hill - i believe in love
pulp fiction - hell pulp
road trip - a path to maturity
finding neverland - a dream for life by j.m. barrie ( hahaha , yeah, that's a good one)
american beauty - a whirpool of life
the man who cried - a life decision
valiant - brave peter
a cat in a hat - cat, don't touch his hat! ( oh jesus!)
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - eternal sunshine of the invinceble mind ( close, but not quite )
shallow hal - love is blind
there's loads more....

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Golgot
Look out tho Froggy. We've got a devil duck in town. Maybe he's here to take away your non-native-english-speaking-english-speaker crown. [Hah, translate that ].

in what language?

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
I can say some good examples of how the guys in charge of choosing the title have no translation abilities. But I'll stick with James Bond as much examples come in my mind. A movie can have a perfect translation to portuguese but they dare to change the whole meaning of it. Like:

-From Russia with love-Moscou contra 007-Moscow against 007 (By the way all brazilian titles of James Bond movies put 007 in some place of the title, but that don't change so much the meaning)
-Thunderball-007 contra a chantagem atômica-007 against(Can't they stop to put against in a title?) the atomic blackmail (?). They could at least do something like "Operação (operation) Thunderball" as they do with many movies because in their laziness they don't wanna translate.
-Die another day- 007-um novo dia para morrer - 007-a new day to die. Okay they don't have the "day-die" catchy phrase but the sense was somewhat changed here.
-Never say never again- 007-nunca mais outra vez- 007 never more another time (Okay I admit the english and brazilian titles equally are nonsense in this one)

And they dare to put some nonsense addings too:

-Doctor No-(believe it or not) 007 contra o satânico Doutor No- 007 against (Here comes that word again!) the satanic Doctor No.

So I expect you understand that sometimes I'll prefer don't risk to put an exact traduction of some tiltle to english and instead say that I didn't knew english at the time.
My avatar is the evil doctor whom tried to test if his dumbness potion he put in the water had worked. So he created a movie to defy the inteligence of the most lesser minded human beings he decided to call this movie "signs".

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by chicagofrog

in what language?
The 'whistle language' of the Canary Islands?

You could attach a sound file .

(Oh, alright, how about Inner-Mongolian?)

history *is* moralizing
looking forward to watching the remake of
The Hills Have Eyes,
but of course like all other movies in the original language, German ugh! if they translate the movie as bad as the title:
Hügel der blutigen Augen
=
Hill Of the Bloody Eyes

Italy is the queen of bad translations:

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind = If You Left Me, I Would Erase You
My Own Private Idaho = Handsome & Damned

O_O

Rosemary's Baby was translated in mexico as "El bebé de Rosemary" (Rosemary's Baby ) that was a good one, but friends of mine told me that in spain the title was "la semilla del diablo" (the devil's seed). the title is a spoiler, hahahahaha

Spartan "Búsqueda desesperada" (desperate searching)
They "Habitantes de la obscuridad" (inhabitants of darkness)