The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

And notice that it's a catch-22: how does someone know what they like? By watching all sorts of films in the first place. The only way to become "confident" about your tastes is by testing them from time to time.
Pretty much. I try to watch all sort of stuff that's considered great in all genres and from any country, then, I watch any of the stuff in genres and styles that interest me the most. I think that I can like a movie from any genre as long as it's great enough.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
We had a decent little run there (Repo Man, Lethal Weapon, Planes Trains..., Glory, Wrath of Khan) but it's started going pear shaped again. Time for some proper 80s!!!

Proper 80s #1.
The Last Starfighter

Nick Castle, 1984 | imdb | 1,000,000 POINTS

Proper 80s #2.
The Running Man

Paul Michael Glaser, 1987 | imdb | 1,000,000 POINTS

Haven't seen either, wouldn't watch either.
The attitude of someone who knows what they like and is confident about what they won't like.
That's right, and I want to stay a movie lover. The way to do that is to watch movies I have an interest in.
I want to join a rock band with these two.

The Unwatched

Indeed. One of the greatest films of all time. I had it around the 10th place on my list. It's pure action, kinetic energy encapsulated. No other film possesses the same visceral power as this one.
I wish I had placed it -- The Road Warrior -- higher on my list. Like the #1 spot.

The Last Starfighter is a pile of crap.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

We had a decent little run there (Repo Man, Lethal Weapon, Planes Trains..., Glory, Wrath of Khan) but it's started going pear shaped again. Time for some proper 80s!!!

Proper 80s #1.
The Last Starfighter

Nick Castle, 1984 | imdb | 1,000,000 POINTS

hell yes

To be fair one could also say that I am more obsessed with American culture than Japanese culture given that I am not American and most of my favorite movies are American.

Overall, I would say that only the US and Japan have a very large popular culture that's able to provide for the entertainment needs of a film buff, especially a nerdy film buff who loves genre films. I mean, if I want to watch visually stunning films and TV of fantasy and science fiction what options do I have? Mainly, Hollywood and Anime. So naturally, I mostly watch Hollywood and Anime.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Sorry, you don your Brazilian hat only occasionally and, if I remember correctly, you're now living in the US, close enough.

I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors, and I loved it, probably would've been #10 on my list had I seen it on time.

This is the other Woody Allen great that I've been looking for, after watching Midnight in Paris and Annie Hall a few years ago, the rest of the Woody Allen works I've seen have ranged from near awful to very good. But none have been great, like Crimes and Misdemeanors. The Woody Allen scenes were consistently hilarious, crammed with witty one liners, and priceless moments. My favorite is when Woody Allen shows the final product for the documentary he's been making for and about his smug brother in law, in which he clips in a roaring Mussolini. Which is another unique aspect this film accomplished, in it's modern recreations of black and white movies, showing clips of the scene getting recreated moments after-usually at a theater.

The more dramatic Martin Landua plot didn't put me in a solemn mood, that Woody Allen was trying to create. This is the one aspect of this film that didn't get accomplished in my viewing experience. The dilemmas were gripping, and the spiritual flashbacks were intriguing, but I lacked empathy in these scenes. I even felt more towards Woody Allen in his envy towards his brother-in-law, and his desire for Halley (Mia Farrow). Both stories cover a different stage of an affair, with much different results, and begs the question of which one got it better.

The film editing is stellar, done by Susan E Morose, and Woody Allen directs another awesome comedy

-

My Movie! Oh my stars!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hooray I was correct on my prediction. Man my films must be high up there, cause I find it hard to believe most of them would miss the cut.

Tootsie is an awesome and clever movie. It didn't make my list, but I like it very much! Hoffman is absolutely brilliant in it.

Haven't seen The Lost Boys yet and it honestly doesn't really look like my cup of tea, but I might check it out some time in the future.

Tootsie?

The Lost Boys though... now that is an 80s film... had it at 12th place on my list...

100. Hannah and Her Sisters - Been too long since I last saw it
99. Stop Making Sense - Not seen
98. Modern Romance - Not seen
97. Rocky IV

96. Near Dark

95. Stranger Than Paradise - Not seen
94. A Visitor to a Museum - Not seen
93. The Untouchables

92. Blood Simple

91. The Outsiders

90. A Christmas Story -

89. The Decalogue - Not Seen