Why Do You Buy DVD's?

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
I'm motivated to buy DVD's upon their release because I want the satisfaction of knowing that I can watch it when I want to. I also buy DVD's of older movies that are released for the first time because my video store rarely stocks up on vintage new releases.

But, I got to thinking: If I just rented a new release for $2, I could rent it up to 10 times and that would be the price of purchasing it new. DVD's you rent in the video store contain the same extra's, so it's not like there's any benefit from buying it new.

My question is this: Why do you buy DVD's?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Because.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

there's a difference between renting and owning, for example if you have hbo and a movie you OWN is on hbo you're more inclined to watch it because its on than you are to pick up your dvd and put it into the dvd player. its the same way with the video store and your own collection, you're more inclined to walk over to where you keep your dvds in your house, than to get in the car to drive to the video store specifically to rent that movie, and once you're at the video store you're not going to rent a movie you've already seen, you're going to be surrounded by new films to distract you from paying to see the movie you've seen over seeing a new film with the money.

For goodness sake -- why would you drive to the video store 10 different times to rent the same darn movie? I've never understood people who go to Blockbusters or Hollywood Video and rent the same movie repeatedly. Are they in love with that particular video cassette or DVD? Do they go on five day vacations to Florida and make love to it on the sand in the beach? I think you may have explained it to me now, though.

But I don't like that idea. If you love or like the movie, why not just buy it? It's good to have collections. They make you healthy, less wealthy, and wise. Here's to my DVDs. *raises glass in the air*

a toast to dvds!

I only buy DVD's because i like the extra's (commentary, bloopers, insights, etc, etc) and than if they dont come with any extras than i will settle for the cheaper VHS, unless of course it is a movie (as SC said before) is one i would watch over and over than i go for a little splurge and buy myself the DVD instead of wasting $1000 on the movie rental.

Because I want them… I’ve almost got one wall covered so I can start on another… saves me the hassle of deciding how to decorate… … Actually I like being able to watch them whenever I want to and it’s cheaper for me to buy than rent most of the time here… they rent for about 5.00 a piece and I can normally buy the same movie for less than 20.00 and since I’m famous for late fees… I might as well just buy it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Fighting out of the Lions Den
I want the best a movie can offer...Simple.

A novel adaptation.
I have to agree with Jonny here. I buy DVD's not just for the extras, but because it's the best copy of a movie I can get. I want to watch a film in the highest possible quality, I want the images I see to be truest to the original vision or product. In this sense, I have a lot of trouble even renting VHS movies, because if I'm not watching a movie in widescreen, then I feel that I'm not even watching the real movie. I might as well be catching it on tv.

Although the commentaries, chapter selection, and extras certainly do seal the deal.

I myself, is for a bit of both, I want the selected case, and I want the specials, just in case im bored and I wanna watch a film, but do not have time.

I See You When You're Sleeping
As well as the quality, extras etc DVD's are cool because they are thinner than videos. Also when throwing at a friend, you gain much more accuracy than you would using a video.

i buy dvds because i'm addicted to it and love watching them fill up my shelves because i'm sad like that and it gives me an odd sense of satisfaction. oh, and i love films.

Originally posted by r3port3r66

My question is this: Why do you buy DVD's?
Because I'm a woman.....and I have to buy something!!!!

I buy them for the extras..............alternative endings.....stuff like that...........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Add to the list:

-For watching with friends who may have not seen the movie yet.

-Bragging rights. "Look at all my DVD's!"

I See You When You're Sleeping
Has anyone had a DVD accident yet ?

I have a few hundred dvds on a top shelf, kind of piled on top of each other until i get some decent racks. Just the other day I thought like watching Alice in Wonderland so I scooped my hand into the mass (standing on my toes) and attempted to slide it out. Little did I know that my Evil Dead 2 DVD was sliding out too. The result ? Three hundred dvds on my head.

A novel adaptation.
Holden must have a whopper...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	pvp20030116.gif
Views:	331
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	572  

Awesome Scanners avatar, jrs! That is the most kickass avatar I've seen!