Funny Foreign Films???

Tools    

Here's a challenge--what do you think are the funniest foreign movies of all time?

Some of my personal favorites:

Mix humor with the absurd (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, La Cage Aux Folles)

Funny moments that come from real situations (okay, does anyone else think it's funny when they hear a bunch of people in Ireland fighting over how to sing Mustang Sally?)

Happy movies about people having a good time living (I saw a preview of L'Auberge Espagnole about a bunch of exchange students living together in Barcelona, kind of like an international Real World without self-absorbed idiots).

What movies do you think need to be added to this list???

BANNED
How about "Asterix et Obelix contre Cesar"? It's a pretty funny film based on a European cartoon strip.

Amelie (2001) is downright hysterical in many spots. Genuinely sweet and romantic and weird and wonderful, but also awfully funny.

King of Hearts (1966) is another one. Just as sweet and purely romantic, and also howlingly funny.

And can't mention Jeunet with recommending another very funny movie, though much darker, in Delicatessen (1991)

And I think The Monster (1994) is Roberto Benigni's funniest flick.

The Luc Besson-written & produced Taxi (1997) is a terrific action comedy.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It was beauty killed the beast.
Tampopo
Elling
Withnail and I

Kong's mind is running a little blank, sorry.

Here's some

Amelie (Jeunet, 2001)
The Flower of My Secret (Almodovar, 1995)
Tampopo (Itami, 1985)
Good Morning (Ozu, 1959)
Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Tati, 1953)
Week End (Godard, 1967)
Belle De Jour (Bunuel, 1967)
Yojimbo (Kurosawa, 1961)
Mon Oncle (Tati, 1958)

DonJuan de la Nooch
Forever Fever and Shall we Dansu? are two of my favorites.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Les Visiteurs (1993), Jean-Marie Poiré.

Tillsammans (2000), Lukas Moodysson.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally posted by Piddzilla
Les Visiteurs (1993), Jean-Marie Poiré.

I haven't seen that version, but I did see the American remake Just Visiting... Jean Reno’s facial expressions are priceless…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Tampopo
The Tax Woman (Marusa no Onna)
Delicatessen
Trois Hommes et un Couffin

Enemies are so stimulating.
Planet B: The Antman

i saw it at rotterdam film festival at the begining of this year. it was wicked. if anyone knows where i can get a copy of it that would be suuuper.

I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

I Kina spiser de hunde (1999), Lasse Spang Olsen (Denmark).

This comedy is crazy. The title means "In China they eat dogs" by the way.

A couple more razor-sharp dark comedies with subtitles...

Baxter (1989), being the misadventures of a homicidal dog. Great stuff.

Sitcom (1998), Francis Ozon's Hitchcockian dysfunctional funfest.

Oh, how could I forget!!!!!!!???????

Crna macka, beli mackor (1998), Emir Kusturica (Yugolavia).

Has anyone seen this film??? I think it's hilarious and at the same time beautiful. You should all see it!!

Excellent choices. I have a quick question--do you think that certain countries are better off making certain types of comedies? France seems to be terribly good at making those farces, eh? Any other suggestions?