Why is Mulholland dr considered a masterpiece?

Tools    

I like Mullholland Drive quite a bit. From what I understand Lynch made an earlier film, Lost HIghway, that made use of some of the same strategies to communicate and people did not get it. I have read that Mulholland drive ended up being Lynch's 2nd attempt to try something similar. I believe that theory. When you watch the movie, keep the following in mind.

1. it helps to think of both movies as mysteries, but the mystery to be solved is what is happening in this film. Once you
realize what Lynch is doing the movie makes sense.

2. Throw out any ideas of a linear plot. You are thrown into the story somewhere in the middle, and you have to find your
place to decipher the movie.

3. Lynch claims he has given you all you need to understand the movie. The key is persistence. The movie is not
meaningless. You will have to watch it two or three times to put everything together. Think of it as a puzzle to solve.
Puzzles are fun to work with so it might be challenging, but does not have to be frustrating.

Fantastic movie. Completely defies any kind of narrative you try to assign to it, forces you to accept the movie on its terms.

I found this film really disapointing. It started off mezmerizing but quickly started to feel like a tv movie on life time.
I agree 100% with you, brother. While I don't think it's a TERRIBLE film, I certainly can't understand why it's considered one of the all-time greats.