MOFO Movie Tournament 2012 Bracket 1

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well, here we are folks. Another year, another tournament. Since I assume this won't have as many people who have seen most of the films (at least in comparison to last years). I'm going to leave the first couple rounds up for a month, so there's no rush. So the 1st Bracket will be up until May 22nd. Of course, I'll probably open up the voting in other brackets as well beforehand, and then we will have the brackets being staggered. Enjoy everyone and hopefully we get some good participation!

Bracket 1
1. Vampyr
16. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

8. Cemetary Man
9. Vertigo

5. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
12. Escape from New York

4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

6. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
11. Seven

7. The Graduate
10. Kind Hearts and Coronets

2. I am Love
15. Belle de Jour (1967)

Bracket 1
1. Vampyr

8. Cemetery Man (haven't seen)
9. Vertigo

5. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (haven't seen)
12. Escape from New York

4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia (I still love this)

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

6. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance I really hope this doesn't get shut out immediately
11. Seven

7. The Graduate

2. I am Love
15. Belle de Jour (1967)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think that last time we were supposed to vote for what we've seen, and then if we watched something we hadn't seen then we'd add that vote in a later, separate post. In other words, we aren't supposed to go back and edit posts once we've voted. Correct?

Maybe you should add some basic rules or copy and paste last year's.

Bracket 1
1. Vampyr

8. Cemetary Man
9. Vertigo

12. Escape from New York

4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

11. Seven

7. The Graduate

2. I am Love
15. Belle de Jour (1967)

...to be updated when i've seen what i've to see.

1. Vampyr

8. Cemetary Man
9. Vertigo

12. Escape from New York

4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

11. Seven

7. The Graduate

2. I am Love
15. Belle de Jour (1967)

I'm with mark about making new posts when we update votes. More chances for discussion, at least in theory. For now here's what I'm voting:

(need to see) 1. Vampyr

8. Cemetary Man
9. Vertigo

I saw Cemetary Man about 14 years ago with my High School friends who were all really into Horror movies, Alejandro Jodorowsky and David Lynch (we all chipped in and bought a communal vhs box set of Twin Peaks). It left a pretty strong impression on me, or at least I can still remember the ending and the general tone of dark fantasy meets zany comedy. I don't think I'll have time to see it again before May 22nd, but I'll hold off on voting for now just in case I do. Today my vote would go to Vertigo, easily.
It would be interesting to compare the two stories, both about men obsessed with a dead woman who seems to get mysteriously resurrected in her exact double. The double-barrel conceit in Vertigo [where the woman is "playing a role" that she then accidentally falls into "for real", and the man is an unwitting (but willing) audience for a phony plot] is a classic that has been imitated do death but (at least in my memory) other than some broad similarities Cemetary Man does it's own weird little thing.
While I think Vertigo is definitely flawed (I'm probably alone in thinking that the acting isn't great and that the dated visual effects are a problem) the good far outweighs the bad and it's a great, highly entertaining film. The pacing seems inspired to me: almost slow enough to frustrate but not quite, I find it hypnotic. Bernard Herrmann's score is wonderful. That early scene in the restaurant conveys an intricate plot set-up with beautiful style and ambiguity. One visual "effect" that does work is Kim Novak's hair.

12. Escape from New York

I didn't think Escape from NY was half as fun as it wanted to be (but then again I thought the same about Halloween 15 years ago and only recently watched it with a new appreciation), but McCabe & Mrs. Miller is fantastic. Vilmos Zsigmond's cinematography is perfect.

(need to see) 4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

I'd see it again but The Truman Show felt a little too easy to me when it came out. I was instantly sold on the premise of a man whose life is a movie that everyone but he is in on, but the "movie" ending where everything is revealed just felt a little forced.
I don't know if I still want to call Shivers one of my "favorites", but I think it packs a good deal of cleverness and creepiness for such a cheap movie by a relatively-inexperienced director. The sets, acting and cinematography are pretty ordinary so the fact that it still conveys a coherent nightmarish tone and suspense I credit to the writing. Shivers is very good low-key science fiction.

11. Seven

I haven't seen either of these since they came out but I think it's pretty much a toss-up for me. I'm going to wait a little while to vote, though I don't love either one.

7. The Graduate

I felt like this could go either way based on whatever I've seen most recently. Right now I'd give The Graduate a slight edge.

2. I am Love
15. Belle de Jour (1967)

Now Belle de Jour is one that I really should see again. I've always been lukewarm at-best on Bunuel and this one is no exception, but anything Sacha Vierny is worth a re-watch. I am Love was an instant favorite though. I watched it twice in one sitting.

1. Vampyr

8. Cemetary Man
9. Vertigo

12. Escape from New York

4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

11. Seven

7. The Graduate

2. I am Love
15. Belle de Jour (1967)

I guess I should make a case...!

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance vs. Seven

Sympathy is underrated if or if not standing next to the other two films of the trilogy, but there are so many peculiarities in it that, after finding more to like about it every time I watch, it's mind boggling how little attention this gets for bridging the gap possibly the most successfully between Hitchcockian days and today's "thriller" what-have-yous. The societal subtleties, like the class comparisons, the ironic anarchist, or the impossibly humorous moments during horrid sequences (or talking about ants in sign language during sex), or the way that actions made in the best conscience continuously paint the future bleaker, it all adds up to a realistic surreal photo of a couple days wherein people's lives are altered immensely, blurring the lines between who is right and wrong, and in the end sympathy is felt for everyone involved. Seven can't do any of that for me.
Park Chan-Wook said this was his favorite of the trilogy even though it was hated upon release. Personally it's a solidification of his aptitude; this is one of the movies I always think about when I'm filming.

Vampyr VS LOTR

A fair contest, and yet historical importance aside Vampyr is an epitomizing "dream" film that has rarely been touched in that respect. For me, that alone is enough to beat LOTR, but I can go on to say I prefer the soundtrack as well. The way it all works via the viewer's subconscious is masterful.

The Rules of the Game vs. Fantasia

A film of entendres and foresight, The Rules... manages to be both hilarious and infuriating. I just had a long discussion with my french teacher about this film, and we both couldn't run out of minute details to explore together, so much so that she nearly forgot she had to go back home to her child. It's a great memory.

Shivers vs. The Truman Show

Cronenberg is the only director I know who can incorporate sex in his films in ways that would even make the French cringe. And yet his symbolism, while covered in blood and other precious fluids, and profound or obvious, is always worth the thought. The Truman Show is still very good, but apparently too honest for a lot of people to recognize, but I guess I'm partial to the weirdness in this circumstance.

The Graduate vs. Kind Hearts and Coronets

Just based off comparing scripts, Kind Hearts is clever as hell, and dark at points which is my preference. It vaguely reminds me of The Ruling Class in terms of outlandish british black comedies that use lighting in extremely ironic ways. The Graduate feels pretty amateur in comparison.

I Am Love vs. Belle de Jour

I love them both so I grabbed a nickel

Is white trash beautiful
Okay just to make sure I grabed the right film I Am Love is 2009?

I think that last time we were supposed to vote for what we've seen, and then if we watched something we hadn't seen then we'd add that vote in a later, separate post. In other words, we aren't supposed to go back and edit posts once we've voted. Correct?

Maybe you should add some basic rules or copy and paste last year's.
^^This^^

Also, don't forget that Cemetery Man is also (and some would say, better,) known as "Dellamorte Dellamore" and The Rules Of The Game better known as La Règle du jeu.

My picks atm

1. Vampyr 16. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
It's ok, but more importantly, it's not LotR which, even though it's my fave of the three, is still really boring.

4. The Rules of the Game 13. Fantasia
This is even more of a "because it's not the other one" pick. I've only seen it once, but I have no idea what all the fuss is about with The Rules Of The Game. However, I really hated Fantasia. I think I'd have chosen LotR over this.

3. Shivers 14. The Truman Show
Love Shivers and The Truman Show was one of, if not the, most disappointing cinema experiences of my life.

7. The Graduate 10. Kind Hearts and Coronets
Again, it's not the other one. KHaC is ok, a nice afternoon film, but not a film that provokes any real emotion within me. Whereas The Graduate bores me.

The only film I've seen here is Vertigo...

LOTR, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Seven, and The Graduate have all been in my watchlist for some time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'll vote some time, but examine winter's and honey's [rationale for their] votes and just assume that I believe the exact opposite, and you'll have a very basic idea of my opinions.

1. Vampyr (need to see)

8. Cemetary Man
9. Vertigo

12. Escape from New York

4. The Rules of the Game
13. Fantasia

3. Shivers
14. The Truman Show

6. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (need to see)
11. Seven

7. The Graduate

2. I am Love *
15. Belle de Jour (1967)  

* My video club recently stocked this predominantly, so every time I would turn down that aisle, I would see the cover and imagine Maria Callas belting out that line: Io sono l'amore.

Fellowship of the Ring
Vertigo
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

The only film I've seen here is Vertigo...

LOTR, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Seven, and The Graduate have all been in my watchlist for some time.
You should ASAP. Those are four of the greatest films of their genres.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I tried to look for some basic groundrules from last year's but I really didn't find anything that I could use, so I'll try to refresh everyones memory.

You CANNOT vote for a matchup if you haven't seen both films.

You CANNOT change your vote. Once you have voted on a matchup, it should remain to be your initial vote.

Please add your votes for matchups in a separate post. I do generally update scorings for matchups and by adding it to a new post this just makes this process a lot easier.

The biggest thing encouraged is discussion, which I've already seen on here which is great!

As for me, it looks like I have a movie marathon that I'll need to do as well for not only this bracket, but the entire field. Tons of films I haven't seen as I've probably only seen 30-40ish of them.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow, the way its been set out I can't vote on a single tie just now. I've seen almost half the films but none in the same match-up

more importantly, it's not LotR which, even though it's my fave of the three, is still really boring.
Boo! Hiss!

I'll vote some time, but examine winter's and honey's [rationale for their] votes and just assume that I believe the exact opposite, and you'll have a very basic idea of my opinions.
Yeah, you're all kinds of wrong today.