What extras do you want to see on a DVD?

Tools    

I am a glorified ape.
Yeah commentaries and documentaries are neat. However, there have to be new ideas out there for extras on DVD's. My friend was working on the Freddy vs. Jason dvd. He had this cool idea that was eventually scrapped because it was taking too long to program or something. Anyway... the idea was that while watching the movie, trivia questions would pop up on the screen about the previous NightmareOnElmStreet and FridayThe13th films. And depending on which series of movies the viewer got more correct answers on, determined which ending of the movie you would see. Like, if you got more trivia on A Nightmare on Elm Street correct, Freddy would win in the end...and vice versa. I didn't like this film at all really... but it would have been much more entertaining if this game had been included on the DVD.

So... got any ideas?

I have seen this on a few DVD's, but too few. Actors/Actresses thoughts about the movie or scenes in general.

I am a glorified ape.
Originally Posted by 7thson
I have seen this on a few DVD's, but too few. Actors/Actresses thoughts about the movie or scenes in general.
Maaaaybe I'm just a drama queen (could it be??? NEVER!) but you know how you only hear actors saying "Oh... it was a DREAM to work with this director or that actor."

I want to hear an actor say to a director "You were such an @sshole that day, you made me want to cry!" You know...at least in fun. Invite the audience in.

lots of deleted scenes, blooper and outtakes...i love them...and i would love to see those deleted scenes incorporated into the final film...

and if there is an alternate ending or beginning.....

I am a glorified ape.
Originally Posted by susan
lots of deleted scenes, blooper and outtakes...i love them...and i would love to see those deleted scenes incorporated into the final film...

and if there is an alternate ending or beginning.....
yeah those are fun. apparently there's a blooper reel on the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre dvd. I've been wanting to buy it, but I know as soon as I do they'll release an Ultimate Edition of the DVD. Aargh!

I'm not sure how I'd feel about watching that blooper reel though. The movie is so real to me... so documentary-style and freaky that seeing Leatherface bump into a wall because he can't see through his mask could really ruin the magic of the movie for me. hehe.

As for deleted scenes being incorporated into the movie: I like this idea... but I think it would be best if you could watch both versions... one with the extra scenes and then the original cut. I was really excited to see the extra scenes in the new Dawn of the Dead... i couldn't get enough of that film. So when the "Too-Scary-For-Theaters" Director's Cut of DawnoftheDead was released I was looking forward to it. But there was not ONE extra scary scene...just a bunch of fluff that makes the film obtuse.

Feed me breadcrumbs
I always want to hear from the writers and the producers, I feel far too much weight is given to the opinion of the cast. Yes the movie cannot exist without them, but they wouldn't even have a job if nobody wrote the bloody thing.

I enjoy seeing bloopers on DVDs and deleted scenes.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by kevinkelly
Maaaaybe I'm just a drama queen (could it be??? NEVER!) but you know how you only hear actors saying "Oh... it was a DREAM to work with this director or that actor."

I want to hear an actor say to a director "You were such an @sshole that day, you made me want to cry!" You know...at least in fun. Invite the audience in.
That's the kind of thing you hear in a Kevin Smith commentary
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Extras on a DVD should have.......

Trivia Questions
Little Adventure Games
More about the celebrities making the film,
(all the actors participating) including supporting roles/small roles
Music Videos of the famous songs
Out-takes......More Out-takes!!!!
Making of the film in more detail.......

I'd have to go with lilbralucilla although on some dvds they have trivia question, i know on Scary Movie they had trivia question but you had to have a computer with a dvd-rom to get that feature, but yeah the little adventures games would be great also i would like to get to know a little more on the actors in the movies like what they thought about the movie, how they felt while making the movies, just all kinds of stuff. I love the outtakes, but it seems that some dvds only have like 4 or 5 outtakes if that many, more outtakes would be nice.

Appy-polly-loggies
I would def love to see that pop-up video kinda stuff on movies, and crap like cool facts on how they made this scene, or what went wrong here u know just like how it was on V-H1 back in the day, u know when the ecconomy was good and bush wasnt in the office, well any ways it would b an awsome idea that I woud love to see

She's Was Mine! Mine! MINE!
i like to see music videos games and interactive bits like screen savers and desktops etc

Randomly visiting for now
Here are just a few ideas about interesting extra features apart from the standard behind the scenes, commentary, deleted scenes and the interactive trailer->which I normally don't bother viewing, because if you haven't seen it you don't want to ruin it by watching the trailer and if you have then it's just a summary of the movie you've just watched .
  1. Viewing the live music as it is being recorded for the film
  2. Greater discussion with the Special Effects team and the Stunt Team (more than usual).
  3. alternative commentaries rather than just the director, as in a seperate cast commentary is cool
  4. Also I think a timeline of how the movie developed is always interesting concerning how long it took to create and what processes took longer or shorter than expected to complete.
  5. More information about the scriptwriter and what he was wanting out of the film in terms of his vision for the film, any book adaptation? and possibly arguments with the director could be juicy

There are those who call me...Tim.
I'd like to see 2 versions of Empire Strikes Back on a DVD:
One cut from Lucas and the other from Kershner, just to see how different they'd be.

I guess less lame commentaries on some discs, I pretty much won't buy a DVD unless it has commentary but whats the point if the commentary is director of lighting five minutes of one scene. I won't mention any movies that have this and I guess you still learn a few things but still... Or when they just play interviews over the film and think of it as commentary.

1) Coherent and interesting director commentary
2) Deleted Scenes and Outtakes in Comedies
3) Actor/Director/Crew Interviews
4) Making of Featurettes
5) Production Art Stills

Originally Posted by Conformist
I would def love to see that pop-up video kinda stuff on movies, and crap like cool facts on how they made this scene, or what went wrong here u know just like how it was on V-H1 back in the day, u know when the ecconomy was good and bush wasnt in the office, well any ways it would b an awsome idea that I woud love to see
i think thats what the infini film dvds do. i remember something like that while watching Austin Powers in Goldmember. i dont know if its all infini film dvds or just goldmember

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
I'd like to see 2 versions of Empire Strikes Back on a DVD:
One cut from Lucas and the other from Kershner, just to see how different they'd be.
yeah me too, that's not really a DVD extra but it's a good idea .

Originally Posted by kevinkelly
I'm not sure how I'd feel about watching that blooper reel though. The movie is so real to me... so documentary-style and freaky that seeing Leatherface bump into a wall because he can't see through his mask could really ruin the magic of the movie for me. hehe.
I agree with you there. The only time I think bloopers are fun are when they are for comedies. Anything else…no thanks. But a lot of people do love this stuff, and I don’t have to watch it if it’s on the DVD.

Originally Posted by sean_g
...but whats the point if the commentary is director of lighting five minutes of one scene.
That’s my biggest complaint.

I only really care about one extra: The director’s commentary. Screw the cast and their input. Half the time, they’re idiots anyway. I remember when I listened to the Donnie Darko commentary, Drew Barrymore kept talking about horse **** all the time. I was screaming at her to Shut The **** Up before it was over.

I want a director’s commentary that focuses on the movies plot, the characters in the film; their motivations, and things that help give an overall understanding of the film. I [i]don’t[i] want to know a whole hell of a lot concerning, like sean said, the lighting, sound editing, etc (unless it’s sparse, instead of being the focus). Some commentaries never say anything about the movie itself, and just talks symantics. That’s kind of boring to me.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."