The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Se7en is great, but sometimes it just feels too neat and tidy for what is supposed to be a "dark, gritty, and atmospheric thriller".

Reviews

Did anyone have this film really high up, or even #1?

Se7en is great, but sometimes it just feels too neat and tidy for what is supposed to be a "dark, gritty, and atmospheric thriller".
I'm not sure if it's supposed to be gritty.
The atmosphere and darkness is obviously created by the lighting and the music and of course the events in the film.

I think the 'neatness' and 'tidiness' work pretty well here in the sense that the villain of this film works and thinks exactly like that. They are captured in his web and the film shows that very well by being so strict, in my opinion.

I love Se7en, it's on my 100, but it didn't make my 25 for the 90's. I'm slightly surprised to see it this high. I though it'd probably make top 10, but I don't think I've have predicted it this high.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Tally up another one for my list. I want to say seven was somewhere around 10-12 for me, but I honestly can't remember and I'm too lazy to look up right now.

And to the people who gave points to Wild at Heart: why???

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I'm not sure if it's supposed to be gritty.
The atmosphere and darkness is obviously created by the lighting and the music and of course the events in the film.

I think the 'neatness' and 'tidiness' work pretty well here in the sense that the villain of this film works and thinks exactly like that. They are captured in his web and the film shows that very well by being so strict, in my opinion.
So... it's gritty?

I mean, if Fincher didn't want it to be gritty, why did he make it so gritty?

I can completely understand your reasoning behind your second point, but imo I think that the neatness defeats the point. The film is ultimately a "who-dunnit" and then a "why-dunnit", but the complete change in tone after John Doe comes into the film threw me off, and I just thought it didn't hold up well enough to the rest of the film.

I'm thinking of posting a link to the excel worksheet once we're done so you all can go over the specifics of those that made the top 100 and those that didn't. If anyone wants it that is.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm thinking of posting a link to the excel worksheet once we're done so you all can go over the specifics of those that made the top 100 and those that didn't. If anyone wants it that is.
I'd like to see that.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
There are people asking you the same question for Shawshank, so..
There was more answers than questions. Shawshank stands pretty tall right about now.

The untampered with version, of course.

And to the people who gave points to Wild at Heart: why???
For me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.