Where The Wild Things Are

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Since when do movies need villains?

Also, the film is catered to adults more, since the book came out so far back. How many kids these days even knew about the book before the film came out?

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It still gets read in many elementary schools. My wife has a copy of it in her fourth grade class, and back when I substituted at elementary schools, I'd take it with me just in case it wasn't in a teacher's class, but usually it already was.

The villains in the movie are older people and people who don't want to have fun. After all, the film is basically a dream as opposed to a nightmare. Remember, since Max bit his mother and is a wolf, he's already a wild thing, although I don't believe he thinks that he's bad or a "monster". He's just happy to find "bigger people" who still want to have fun, but he learns that when you get bigger there are apparently more important things than having fun. If anything, that's the villain (or at least, the conflict): the responsibilities of being older and bigger make it difficult to do what you want to do. In the long run though, forgiveness is better than fighting.

The villains in the movie are older people and people who don't want to have fun.
WARNING: "thoughts" spoilers below
I thought Carol was the main antagonist, like Max at the start of the film, he can't get what he wants. He dreams of a perfect world "where only the things he wants to happen, happen". He doesn't really understand the other monsters and has giant destructive fits, which reflects Max's inability to cope with his mom dating, his sister not wanting anything to do with him, and his lack of other friends. When Max leaves the island, he's much more wise. He realizes that he can't act like Carol, he has to adapt to change and face his reality - rather than create his own world.

Is this movie appropriate for an 8 year old?

I confess to not remembering whether, as a child, I was read Where the Wild Things Are. Perhaps I was, but perhaps not. In any event, the nine sentences penned by Maurice Sendak (almost fifty years ago) have since been put to screen by Spike Jonze.

Max is a lonely eight year old boy who inhabits two seemingly different worlds. The first he shares with his mother and his sister, both of whom incur his wrath in the opening few scenes. After incidents with each, Max, decked out in a wolf costume, runs away. Emotionally, he enters into the second world he inhabits, and here exist the wild things.

I was basically wondering if people saw it and what their impressions were. Plus, I wanted to say "Hi." This is my first post.

Kelly Wilson