Apocalypse Now Question

Tools    

I Plan On Getting The 2-Disc With Both Versions Of The Movie On The DVD, And I Was Wondering, Which One Should I Watch First- Original Or Redux? And Is The Redux Just Like An Extended Edition Of The Movie?

I Plan On Getting The 2-Disc With Both Versions Of The Movie On The DVD, And I Was Wondering, Which One Should I Watch First- Original Or Redux? And Is The Redux Just Like An Extended Edition Of The Movie?
Yes, Redux is an extended cut. I happen to think most of the footage there is extraneous. I definitely recommend watching the original cut first. Then I'd say get a hold of the amazing documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. Then watch the Redux cut.

That's my recommendation, anyway.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Redux almost put me to sleep to be honest. Stick with the original cut.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Redux version does add what I consider to be satirically-hilarious scenes involving a surfboard and a beautiful visual explanation of what happened to one of the main characters, but I think the original is too long as it is, so I'd watch the original first. There are about 50 added minutes in Redux, and most of those are towards the end which is already overextended in my opinion. I'd still say to watch it at some future time.

I also agree with Holden about Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, but what else is new?

Original
Trust me on this one...

So Based On What Everyone's Saying, I'll Probably Watch The Original Cut.

personally, i bought the "redux" version and was disappointed. the original had an air of mystery, especially when it came to colonel kurtz, which i always enjoyed. the new version completely takes that away. i think it's a waste of time and it even ruins the movie, in my opinion.